Microsoft posts first look at 8.1. Video preview available

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Re: Microsoft posts first look at 8.1

Thanks for the heads up. Looking forward to seeing it on my Surface. Sure didn't take long in the comments section before notification center came up.

Re1nout

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site

I hope they integrate that search functionality in wp8, that would be so awesome.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site

This is a beautiful thing. Just based on that blog post I can tell they listened to feedback without caving to ridiculous demands. And it seems they are truly polishing the whole Metro experience.

I'm curious what the "all new" music app will be like.

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site

This update sounds better and better of what I thought! but of course there are some stuff I wish it wasn't there, why bringt all useless stuff that wont help or do anything important for the evolution and progress of windows? like start button! and its ON by default (paul thurrott said) I don't mind turn stuff off or on, but bring that useless button that will just waste space in my taskbar for stupid people who cant move mouse around or "I just want something to click" like if they didn't know bottom left corner would do the same today but not wasting taskbar space... its just annoying.
I only have IE and win explorer pinned to my taskbar, so you can see how I wouldn't want a start button there haha.

but most of the stuff announced in blogpost sounds good to me! I miss using the desktop and win8 apps at the same time! that was cool. but it was just a leaked version of win8. and it sounds great you can now open multiple times an app. so this update sounds really good! (minus the useless stuff like start button)

C LaBelle

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
So is the release of Windows 8.1 mean that I will be able to update my Windows 8 to 8.1? Or does it mean that once released that all devices produced after the release will come with it? More like Apple's iOS updates?

smeshko

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site

This update sounds better and better of what I thought! but of course there are some stuff I wish it wasn't there, why bringt all useless stuff that wont help or do anything important for the evolution and progress of windows? like start button! and its ON by default (paul thurrott said) I don't mind turn stuff off or on, but bring that useless button that will just waste space in my taskbar for stupid people who cant move mouse around or "I just want something to click" like if they didn't know bottom left corner would do the same today but not wasting taskbar space... its just annoying.
I only have IE and win explorer pinned to my taskbar, so you can see how I wouldn't want a start button there haha.

Even though I'm against the start menu, a start button could actually prove useful for people using multiple screens for example - hot corners are awfully hard to hit, when the mouse just keeps going left xD It's good that they are giving people options.

zkSharks

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

This is a beautiful thing. Just based on that blog post I can tell they listened to feedback without caving to ridiculous demands. And it seems they are truly polishing the whole Metro experience.

This. I'm excited for what they'll do with Metro by the end of this year and next, once they have a base to build on that is solid in both form and function.

Even though I'm against the start menu, a start button could actually prove useful for people using multiple screens for example - hot corners are awfully hard to hit, when the mouse just keeps going left xD It's good that they are giving people options.

The big test for me will be using Win8 on a multi-monitor setup where some are oriented vertically (portrait) for design work while others are in the traditional landscape orientation. I'm definitely in the minority, but I need the transitions and flow between portrait and vertical monitors to be smooth.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

I do like the idea of just having the button there. Personally, I think it's more visually appealing and helps to navigate users to the right location.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes