Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    windows-8.1-pro-preview-installation-page.png

Most of you may know that the Windows 8.1 Preview just went live for download today. I wanted to get some of your thoughts on the preview. Is it what you expected? Or maybe it's not that big of an update to you?

I'm personally using the Pro Preview and I'm still looking at what's actually different in this version, but I'll update as I get snooping around.

For those of you that want to get it and learn more about it can go to the official Microsoft page here and/or visit the WP Central article regarding the list updates presented in 8.1 here.
    pbankey likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    604 Global Posts
    Still waiting for a godamn update to appear...

I really need to know something before I upgrade to preview.

I currently have Windows 8 Pro btw, and it's my main computer.

1. If I upgrade, will my programs (not apps) still be there? Like Steam (including games etc.), Photoshop and so on.
    2. If I upgrade, will it be possible to upgrade to the final version of W8.1 when it comes (while not beeing charged, since I already bought 8.0 Pro)
    Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world?

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaskys View Post
    Still waiting for a godamn update to appear...
    did you go to the win8.1 preview page to install the "update updater", lol donno what would you call it. The 8.1 preview won't just appear if you did not install that.

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tafsern View Post
    I really need to know something before I upgrade to preview.

I currently have Windows 8 Pro btw, and it's my main computer.

1. If I upgrade, will my programs (not apps) still be there? Like Steam (including games etc.), Photoshop and so on.
    2. If I upgrade, will it be possible to upgrade to the final version of W8.1 when it comes (while not beeing charged, since I already bought 8.0 Pro)
    1. Everything will be there, if you decide to upgrade from 8 pro to 8.1 preview.
    2. Yes, you are able to upgrade from 8.1 preview to the final rtm 8.1, but you will lose all the programs you installed(desktop and modern ones). The upgrade is free, you can find that on the 8.1 preview page.

Global Posts
    1,731 Global Posts
    If I could get the pre requisite update to install I'd tell you, unfortunately on both my desktop and Surface RT it won't install.
    Banned

Global Posts
    604 Global Posts
    Yep i installed it, but what then? There's nothing, no proper guide, no notification no changes in windows.
    It seems that lil file is useless.

Global Posts
    413 Global Posts
    I am very happy with the new features, and think it is good update to an already great OS.
    -Chances are, I'm guessing.
    Thanked by:
    blackprince and GardSec like this.

Global Posts
    3,891 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    How are you all installing the preview? I can't download the ISO files yet... is it possible to do a clean install with the preview or is it treated like an OS upgrade?

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    On my surface, I went to Download Windows 8.1 Preview - Microsoft Windows and was given the option to "get the update".. I downloaded and installed it, rebooted as instructed and once I got logged back in, received a popup message telling me to visit the store to get the 8.1 preview, which I did. It's now downloading.

I noticed that when I went to this page on a machine other than my surface, I got a "iso files not available yet" message.
    Developer

Global Posts
    1,498 Global Posts
    It is a preview so I ask the guys who used it to please post back if it is stable, I use my Win8 as my primary device.

Global Posts
    32,219 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    Quote Originally Posted by qwe123878 View Post
    1. Everything will be there, if you decide to upgrade from 8 pro to 8.1 preview.
    2. Yes, you are able to upgrade from 8.1 preview to the final rtm 8.1, but you will lose all the programs you installed(desktop and modern ones). The upgrade is free, you can find that on the 8.1 preview page.
    Is it possible to get it as a clean install not an update?

I'd like to install it in a virtual machine while keeping my regular Windows 8.

Global Posts
    8,061 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Laura Knotek View Post
    Is it possible to get it as a clean install not an update?

I'd like to install it in a virtual machine while keeping my regular Windows 8.
    Not yet (officially at least). The ISOs are on TechNet, but not available for public download yet. But in the next day or so, they will be making an ISO available to all.
    Thanked by:
    Laura Knotek likes this.

2a) If I wait until the official Windows 8.1 release, when I upgrade, will I still lose all the programs installed (desktop and modern)? Is that only if I first install the preview release?

Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    An amazing update IMO. I have to poke around some more to get more of a grasp of what's changed.

It was a pleasant surprise to have all my apps still there after the update. I was expecting to reinstall everything.
    Thanked by:
    GardSec likes this.

Global Posts
    2,565 Global Posts
    as Ballmer first stated, this point upgrade can best be defined as "refining the blend".

Global Posts
    3,891 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    Just a heads up. Some people are trying to install the preview and getting an error message: "Windows Update Standalone Installer: This update is not suitable for your computer." If you're seeing this and can't understand why the preview won't install it's because your computer is set to language en-gb. To install, it must be set to en-us.
    Thanked by:
    Laura Knotek likes this.

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brianLTE View Post
    An amazing update IMO. I have to poke around some more to get more of a grasp of what's changed.

It was a pleasant surprise to have all my apps still there after the update. I was expecting to reinstall everything.
    I had work right towards the end of the install. ;/ I'm really stoked to get off and snoop around lol.

Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Anyone having issues restarting after install? Mine keeps getting stuck.

Edit: fixed

Did anybody manag to install the update ? I'm stuck at pending for about 2 hours now. And can anyone confirm that all desktop apps get deleted ?

I"m still downloading but have read that there are or will be "motion backgrounds" like a dragon. Guess I have to wait unless someone has already searched for it.

Someone mentioned that if u update to the 8.1 Preview from pro, you won't lose your apps or software, but when u update to the official release you will.

My question is, if I update from 8.0 to Official 8.1 in a few months, will I still lose everything and have to reinstall apps and software?

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    I've been using 8.1 on my main device for about 8 hours now. So far, love the new changes, particularly when opening a new app from another one (i.e. web link from email, playing music to my xbox snaps both the music and smartglass apps, etc.). Downsides: The instant messaging app is no longer provided with the Calendar, People, Mail app bundle. IE11 is also a little shaky. Having trouble with video playback on CNET and sometimes site options don't work. To be honest, at this point, I almost prefer IE10 to this, except for the multi window aspect and folders in favorites.

In all, stable from what I can see. Some apps are little shaky (IE11, Games, to name two). Kind of wish they left the Messages app...and by kind of, they should've left it alone.

Global Posts
    1,616 Global Posts
    So far I have high hopes for 8.1 final. I would warn people who plan on putting this on their primary device: not everything works. Now, it could just be me. But, the official twitter app, as well as tweetro, are almost unusable. The timeline blanks out when scrolling, and jitters like crazy. MetroTube locks up every time I try to load it. Microsoft warned that not all 3rd party apps would work right off the bat, so I'm not surprised.

I love the extra tile sizes. The new search takes some getting used to, but I like it. Losing the messaging app sucks, but I guess we all new this was coming as we move towards Skype. I much prefer the old IE with the tabs up top and the favorites on the bottom.

Has anyone figured out how to integrate SkyDrive picks in the pictures app? All I get now is picks on the device.
    Thanked by:

Outlook on my surface rt. The world is complete.
    Thanked by:
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast