No Windows 8.1 on Intel Atom

nuprotocol

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Wanted to upgrade my ThinkPad Tablet 2, but then I was prompted with this. Pretty disappointed, but I guess some of us will have to wait.

Windows 8.1 Preview isn't currently supported on some tablets and PCs with newer 32-bit

Atom processors, including:

Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 2
ASUS VivoTab TF810C
Samsung ATIV Smart PC
HP ElitePad 900
HP ENVY x2
Fujitsu ARROWS Tab

If you have one of these tablets or PCs, please revisit this site periodically, as we expect most of them to be supported during the preview.

Windows 8.1 Preview isn't currently supported on some tablets and PCs - Microsoft Windows

Tafkas373

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't matter, it seems we got the machines only yesterday after two years of waiting, right? Hope they fix it, I really use my TPT2 a lot, and new Reader would be awesome.

nuprotocol

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't matter, it seems we got the machines only yesterday after two years of waiting, right? Hope they fix it, I really use my TPT2 a lot, and new Reader would be awesome.

Same here. I like mine a lot too. I also read in the Surface RT forums that Wni8.1 has greatly improved the performance of the SurfaceRT. If they got a boost, we should receive an even bigger one.

Tafkas373

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Same here. I like mine a lot too. I also read in the Surface RT forums that Wni8.1 has greatly improved the performance of the SurfaceRT. If they got a boost, we should receive an even bigger one.

It would be cool. Frustrated with no update to 8.1 I played around today and reinstalled the Intel IO driver and something called touch debug whatever. I'm not sure why, but my TPT2 has behaved much less capricious than out of the box. I see that there are driver problems with Atom. Maybe I had some early build or something. If yours gives you a weird reboot occasionally, it might be worth trying. Feels like a new machine.

prettyconfusd

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Really annoying, I was willing to update my Acer W510 as it's not my main work critical device. I'd prepared it by doing a full image backup the night before too, gah! :/

I've downloaded the ISO so might dual-boot on my main machine to test it out but there's no way I'm updating it with all the bug reports I've seen around the web.

Hopefully Intel will get it's act together and release compatible drivers soon. Though apparently we only have about five weeks to wait for the final release so it might be worth waiting just to save ourselves the hassle of having to re-install all our desktop programs...

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I installed 8.1 from the store the day it was available on my Thinkpad Tablet 2. It works okay, but it will occasionally freeze. If you are okay with beta software, it will work.

nuprotocol

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I installed 8.1 from the store the day it was available on my Thinkpad Tablet 2. It works okay, but it will occasionally freeze. If you are okay with beta software, it will work.

despite the freezing, is it worth the upgrade? Also, did you update from the store directly or boot from a usb and flashed the ISO?

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I've used the 50/50 split and two IE windows a lot, but if you need things to work well I would wait. If its a second device for you, it definitely works well enough for that. Having to reset it sometimes has been the only major issue, but there are plenty of times where its a little rough (mostly performance/speed related)

I installed it from the store.

Tafkas373

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site

Seems like my 8.0 before I reinstalled the Intel Io driver. Still I'd never go back to that, at least as long as the preview will be supported soon. The beauty of 8.1 on my vaiotap is that it makes 8.0 look like a preview. Crashing wouldn't fit that picture.

prettyconfusd

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Turns out the Acer W510 was supported, it was the language issue (UK English when only US English is supported) so I changed my language and location setting on Monday and installed.

I'm glad it's only my secondary machine as it's been rather buggy and unreliable since the upgrade. The upgrade itself took ages too, about an hour to download (about the same time it took to download the ISO separately) and then at least another hour to install and set itself up before I could use it. I know Atom devices are slower than the average but jeez, this was arduous.

The updates tonight seem to have it working better now but I'll play with it more tomorrow and see what happens.

To be honest, as cool as the new start screen and snap modes are, I've yet to feel a huge benefit* to the upgrade (though as it's my secondary device I suppose that's to be expected.) as most apps don't actually support the new features yet (even the Microsoft apps have only vaguely been updated to support the new snap modes as the new versions won't be released until RTM in August).

*That's not to say there aren't any though, 8.1 has a _lot_ of good new features and once it RTMs and other apps start getting updated to use them we're in for a much better OS experience.

Also, when it comes time to update to RTM it'll mean having to re-install everything again (even the metro apps! Only some of my previously downloaded apps were kept during the upgrade, and they still needed to be re-downloaded. I had to go into the store to find Twitter, Skype, and a few others to re-download and install them) so unsure of it's merits as this so far seems more unstable than any of the Windows 8 betas (yes, even the very first developer preview was more stable than this!).

If you do upgrade, I would *seriously* recommend using Windows 7 File Recovery (just do a settings search from charms to find it) and creating a system image so you can restore your existing setup in case anything does go wrong or you just want to revert back. If the updates from today don't make the tablet more reliable over the next few days I'll be flashing my Windows 8 system image back on it this weekend.

I've decided not to even bother upgrading my main machine (Samsung Slate 7). Though I did dual boot it to take a look over the weekend. It was a much quicker and less painful process to do a clean install (1 hour download, then maybe 20 minutes to install and setup) though obviously that also means having to start from scratch and re-install EVERYTHING.

Choose wisely, but make sure you have a backup system image just in case! :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)