Windows 8.1 lacking Messages app?

m0rf3us

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Anyone notice that the instant messenger app that was bundled with the Mail, Calendar, and People apps is no longer available in 8.1?? Thoughts? Was this moved into Skype?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yea i realized it went poof for me too. (and since they enabled snap for lower resolutions, i was looking forward to using it.)

surfacedude

May 24, 2013
Visit site
i'm having all kinds of email issues w/ the preview up date, but after the third time of uninstalling the suite of email, calendar, et cetera app, the messaging app appeared out of nowhere. looks like the messaging app is a part of 8.1.

kashk5

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Looks like it's gone but to be honest it doesn't bother me. I never really liked it and would never stay disconnected from Facebook despite repeatedly changing the setting.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Most of the time it was kind of annoying and I had a hard time figuring out how to shut it off. At the same time, I did like the idea of it being built in - I don't have a Surface, but I could see it being useful then. Ah well. They must have decided to scrap it rather than fix/improve it.

stevearsenault

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
i'm having all kinds of email issues w/ the preview up date, but after the third time of uninstalling the suite of email, calendar, et cetera app, the messaging app appeared out of nowhere. looks like the messaging app is a part of 8.1.

This worked for me as well, and thank you for the tip.

bjd223

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Doesn't look like it was integrated in Skype...if this app is truly gone, I will be severely disappointed...

the Skype app has the exact same functionality in the modern app and the desktop app. Just link your fb account ir whatever to it and start chatting. Also the modern app when docked to the side looks almost identical to the messaging app except its not purple.

surfacedude

May 24, 2013
Visit site
not sure if people saw my post, but after unstalling and re-installing the mail app suite, the messaging app came back. i think there might have been a bug or something, but now i have the messaging app and it's working fine. anyone else get the messaging app back?

stevearsenault

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
not sure if people saw my post, but after unstalling and re-installing the mail app suite, the messaging app came back. i think there might have been a bug or something, but now i have the messaging app and it's working fine. anyone else get the messaging app back?

One thing I noticed was that in the PC settings, it listed the communication apps as only Mail, Calendar, and People. I'm inclined to think this was actually intentional seeing as the Messaging app still only supports the 1/3 width for split screen, so they haven't actually updated it like they have with the other apps.

iloveamystery

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm surprised to see people missing it. I could never get it to work properly with Facebook chat, and that's pretty much the only use I had for it.

pbankey

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
I don't miss it. It was a complete waste of space on W8 RT -- Only externally worked with facebook and even then it would never truly shut off even when I tried to disable facebook chat.

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Anyone else feel like these updates are actually making Windows worse?
8.1 is not an update, its a preview (read: beta) available for an early look. If you aren't okay with beta software or having features that might change, don't use it.

There are some things that I don't like about 8.1, but also some that I do. I'll wait for the final version to decide how I feel, I'm betting that it will end up pretty good.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05