The dredded "something happened and the Windows Store is No longer Working."

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
[h=1]"Something happened and the Windows Store is no longer working" [/h]Something happened but for the life of me, I don't know what. One day I was fine, the next day, this message. Rebooted, cleared cache and still no access to the store. Any ideas?

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Something like this happened to me already.

Where the store was saying i had an app installed but i couldn't find it. I tried removing the package via powershell but that didn't work. Eventually, I took ownership of the app data folder. Then restarted. Then voila.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Something like this happened to me already.

Where the store was saying i had an app installed but i couldn't find it. I tried removing the package via powershell but that didn't work. Eventually, I took ownership of the app data folder. Then restarted. Then voila.

This is an odd one with Windows 8.1. What I eventually had to do was to refresh and save my files. Meaning I would keep my files but rebuild from scratch. All because of the store was missing some files.

jpling

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Had this happen to me on 8.1 preview. No apps would open either. I tried all magic tricks from the web but just reinstalled eventually. I even tried restoring from a very early image. In my particular case even the PC setting would close to start screen

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm back up and running but I'm so sure its stable yet. I looked at the Action Center to check a driver that wants to install and it froze up then restarted. Never had this kind of issue with any other Windows beta.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Me neither. I didn't want to deal with reinstalling all my apps when 8.1 becomes official, so I'll wait for the official version.

I tried but I'm a Microsoft junkie. Its beta so I expected a few hick ups along the way. And you don't have to reinstall your apps to install 8.1. There are some methods, not unlike the one I ended up using that could recover from this error, even under version 8. But wait if you have to, I think you'll like the changes once you bump up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3