?This server requires Exchange ActiveSync policies that this PC can?t enforce?

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
So I've been trying to setup my corporate email via ActiveSync on my Surface Pro but it doesn't work. When I setup the email I get:
We can't sync [email address] because this PC can't meet its mail server's security requirements
  • This server requires Exchange ActiveSync policies that this PC can't enforce

In speaking with our Exchange Administrators, they stated
The implement of ActiveSync was approved for use some time ago. It doesn?t matter which endpoint device is used so long as it supports and complies with ActiveSync. VPN connectivity is handled differently and only IOS is supported at this time.

So I don't know if the problem is with Windows 8, or some setting still on our Exchange server. Anyone have any experience with this and how it was resolved?

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Can you do RPC over http ?
I don't believe so. From what I understand, RPC over HTTP uses SSL, which is what Active Sync already requires. It would be nice to integrate the email with my other accounts, get notifications, etc.... As of now I am stuck with using Outlook Web Access, or paying to use TouchDown.

I'm really aggravated by this. ActiveSync is a damn MS protocol and I will not work on their Windows 8 OS.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I don't believe so. From what I understand, RPC over HTTP uses SSL, which is what Active Sync already requires. It would be nice to integrate the email with my other accounts, get notifications, etc.... As of now I am stuck with using Outlook Web Access, or paying to use TouchDown.

I'm really aggravated by this. ActiveSync is a damn MS protocol and I will not work on their Windows 8 OS.

Yea, RPC over HTTP uses SSL that they would be already using. If they do, it's a nice option as Outlook works just like it's on the Exchange server. I have set it up and used it many times, it's a pretty nice feature. Do you have VPN access that they use for laptops,etc ? Or do they only support iOS devices ?

I would bet they have a group policy in place blocking out devices. I've seen that before..

SpaceGuy

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Your device does not synchronize with your corporate Exchange server because most likely one of the ActiveSync policies requested by Exchange is - get this - SD card encryption. For some reason one of the default policies on Exchange includes this setting, and its very commonly applied to hand held devices. Now on a device like the 920 which does not have an SD card slot, its a moot point but the operating system still responds it cannot enforce this policy setting. You can negotiate with your information technology group to create a special ActiveSync just for your device. If you're lucky you will get what you want.

Ironically, on Apple devices, iOS just 'lies' that yes it can encrypt SD cards when as you know there is no such thing on these units.

On Android, many devices supports all ActiveSync policies natively (and Microsoft charges them for the ActiveSync license). But most folks prefer to install an application like TouchDown which enforces the policies in a separate data space (like PIN, encryption, remote wipe, etc). TouchDown is also available as an immersive application on Windows 8.

WP 6.5 used supported all the ActiveSync policies. Sadly there does not seem to be any progress on this issue which is why Windows Phone 8 remains a consumer oriented device. :unhappy:

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Your device does not synchronize with your corporate Exchange server because most likely one of the ActiveSync policies requested by Exchange is - get this - SD card encryption. For some reason one of the default policies on Exchange includes this setting, and its very commonly applied to hand held devices. Now on a device like the 920 which does not have an SD card slot, its a moot point but the operating system still responds it cannot enforce this policy setting. You can negotiate with your information technology group to create a special ActiveSync just for your device. If you're lucky you will get what you want.

Ironically, on Apple devices, iOS just 'lies' that yes it can encrypt SD cards when as you know there is no such thing on these units.

On Android, many devices supports all ActiveSync policies natively (and Microsoft charges them for the ActiveSync license). But most folks prefer to install an application like TouchDown which enforces the policies in a separate data space (like PIN, encryption, remote wipe, etc). TouchDown is also available as an immersive application on Windows 8.

WP 6.5 used supported all the ActiveSync policies. Sadly there does not seem to be any progress on this issue which is why Windows Phone 8 remains a consumer oriented device. :unhappy:

I suspect this is at the root of the issue. There is a particular setting that your Administrator has set. Ask your IT guy what specific EAS settings they have turned on.

I have connected both the RT and Pro to our Exchange without issue. Both via Outlook 2013 and the built in mail client.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria