How do you take a screen shot / capture of modern UI apps in Windows 8?

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
In desktop mode of Windows 8 you can use the snipping tool (love that little guy) or Sent to One Note screen capture tool to grab a snapshot of any part of your computer screen. However, neither of these applications work in "Metro" mode. How can I snag a small screen capture in modern UI mode of Windows 8 on my PC? I know on my Surface I can take full screen captures using the Start Button+Volume Down key, but how about on a PC and how about something smaller than the entire screen?

Vikram Dinesh

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
On a PC it is really easy to take a screen shot. Just press the "Prt Scr" button on your keyboard. Then open Paint (or any other image editing software) and press "Ctrl+V". The screen shot will get pasted into the app. And if you want something smaller than the entire screen then just select the portion you want and crop the image.

anon5351951

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I've been wondering the same thing... I know the PrtScr button from Win7, but what happens when you're using a Surface? With no Prt Scr button

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
It should be the Windows key + Prt Scr. It should then save it to your screenshots folder. That's how it works for me at least

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
On a PC it is really easy to take a screen shot. Just press the "Prt Scr" button on your keyboard. Then open Paint (or any other image editing software) and press "Ctrl+V". The screen shot will get pasted into the app. And if you want something smaller than the entire screen then just select the portion you want and crop the image.

I would hardly call that easy. Easy is double clicking on "snipping tool" and then promptly getting a snippet screen capture that I can quickly copy and paste into a document. I cannot comprehend why Microsoft would confine the snipping tool to the desktop only.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I've been wondering the same thing... I know the PrtScr button from Win7, but what happens when you're using a Surface? With no Prt Scr button

You can take a screen capture on Surface similar to how you do it on Windows Phone: Simultaneously press and hold the capacitive Windows key on the lower front facade and the volume down button on the upper left side. You'll hear a camera shutter sound and the screen capture will be saved in your Photos app.

That said, editing screen captures in Paint, especially on a Surface using touch controls, is not an intuitive process. Microsoft needs to make Snipping Tool compatible with Modern apps.

kennethz3

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
In desktop mode of Windows 8 you can use the snipping tool (love that little guy) or Sent to One Note screen capture tool to grab a snapshot of any part of your computer screen. However, neither of these applications work in "Metro" mode. How can I snag a small screen capture in modern UI mode of Windows 8 on my PC? I know on my Surface I can take full screen captures using the Start Button+Volume Down key, but how about on a PC and how about something smaller than the entire screen?

I've found the Snipping Tool to be the most adequate choice to clip a part of a Modern app. It's built in Windows 8.1 and works quite well. I usually snap the desktop and the modern app side by side and click the New button. Then I go to Edit -> Copy and paste the image to OneNote. It is not as seamless as taking a OneNote screen clipping but very effective nonetheless.

Leo1111

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Another way to use the Snipping Tool that allows capture of Metro/Modern app screens is to start the Snipping Tool (it takes you to desktop but just leave it on there), then go to the App screen you want to capture and hit Ctrl+PrtScn to activate the Snipping Tool there. This also works without a physical keyboard by first starting the Win8 OnScreen Keyboard (OSK).

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon