Does Windows 8.1 make sense in a non-touch laptop?

skstrials

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I currently have a Dell Precision M4700 with Windows 7 Pro, it does not have a touch screen.

But after using Windows 7 for more than 4 years now, I am getting a bit bored and would love to try a new OS.

Problem is that my laptop does not have a touch screen, so would you recommend Windows 8.1 on a non-touch laptop?

The cost is not really an issue since I am a student and I can get a Windows 8.1 Pro for $70 from Microsoft store.

Nokia Boy

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
My bro uses Windows 8.1 on his acer laptop (no touchscreen), Well it's like Windows 8 but it have fixes and they finally added a start button,I tried it for a little,it's really good and i'm thinking to upgrade mine to windows 8.1 too...

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
yep my windows vista-era ThinkPad T400 works like a charm with 8.1, no touch screen, although it can sometimes be a nice to have.

I'd totally recommend it,if you're willing to try something relatively new

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My home laptop is non-touch and I have run Windows 8 on it since Windows 8 was released. It works great, and Windows 8.1 only makes it better. I run it mostly in "desktop mode" (i.e. sign-in to desktop, use desktop Internet Explorer, etc.) but I do use a number of "Metro" apps (Lync, Xbox Music, etc.) and I prefer the Start Screen to the Start Menu. It works out really well.

Similarly, my work desktop runs the same way... Windows 8.1, sign-in to desktop, desktop I.E., desktop apps, etc.

Contrary to the pundit blogger view, Windows 8/8.1 works just as well in a non-touch environment as it does in a touch environment.

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I have a 7 year old HP laptop that ran XP. I loaded 8.0 and it actually ran faster (doing a clean install didn't hurt). I like it so much I loaded it on my year old laptop (was 7 pro like yours). The only issue I had was that with I had to update some drivers on the newer laptop. Other than that I'm loving it.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
My home laptop is non-touch and I have run Windows 8 on it since Windows 8 was released. It works great, and Windows 8.1 only makes it better. I run it mostly in "desktop mode" (i.e. sign-in to desktop, use desktop Internet Explorer, etc.) but I do use a number of "Metro" apps (Lync, Xbox Music, etc.) and I prefer the Start Screen to the Start Menu. It works out really well.

Similarly, my work desktop runs the same way... Windows 8.1, sign-in to desktop, desktop I.E., desktop apps, etc.

Contrary to the pundit blogger view, Windows 8/8.1 works just as well in a non-touch environment as it does in a touch environment.

Windows 8.1 works fine with a keyboard and mouse

Sent from my LG-D801 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

grant.palin

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Bought my current laptop last summer with Win7 on it. Made use of the Win8 upgrade offer late last year. Despite the laptop not having a touchscreen, I get along quite fine with keyboard and mouse.

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I find I barely use the touchscreen on my laptop. The gestures on the trackpad are just fine in my experience. So I'd say it would be ok.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I find I barely use the touchscreen on my laptop. The gestures on the trackpad are just fine in my experience. So I'd say it would be ok.

I rarely use the touchscreen on my Asus Vivobook. I also have Windows 8.1 installed on a 5+ year old HP laptop, and it runs faster than 7 or Vista did.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Another one that says "Go for it!"

I use W8.1 on an Asus Zenbook. The hardest part was finding a good driver for the touchpad and it's gestures (Asus's version just sucks for palm detection). Once I got it up and working well, I use both the desktop programs and the Modern App's without any issues. It did take a bit of learning the gestures on the touchpad, but it's been worth it.

There are times when go from my Surface RT to the laptop, I sometimes touch the screen and have to realize "Oops! No touch screen on this one".

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I have been using Win8 all along on a non touchscreen laptop. I think it works fine. To be honest, the few times I have used a laptop with a touchscreen, I would use the touchscreen a few times, then soon find myself swiping and gesturing on the trackpads.

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
My Acer S3 is non touch and been using it since Developer Preview 8.0 and the support for touch gestures on the track pad is superb.

Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Tapatalk

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I've been using Win8 since the developer preview more than two years ago, but of course my laptop has a touch screen. When it went RTM (was that August?) I put it on my wife's laptop, a Toshiba without touch screen. She likes it. Of course she doesn't use the metro stuff much, because she continues using it just as she used Windows 7, and Windows XP and 98 before that. It works best for a touch environment, but in a non-touch environment my experience is that it works just as well as Win7, just without the added benefit of touch. There is a learning curve, as there are some things that are different, but for the most part, your average user won't experience any loss of functionality by switching. To those who would avoid it, I would suggest that they rethink their position, since this is the direction computing is going, and to refuse to accept it means being stuck in 2009. :wink:

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site

My impression is that touchscreens on laptops are largely pointless. In most cases, it's much easier to use the keyboard and mouse/trackpad. It's actually quite awkward to reach up and touch the screen. So the OP shouldn't worry about it.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
It will be fine if you don't have a touch screen.
Besides, it'll only make sense if you have a place where you can place your arm while using it.

(Besides, it's much easier to Win-Tab than swipe from the left, and Win-C that swipe from the right.)

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I say yes. My primary PC (although not laptop), has Windows 8.1. and you would have to pay me a lot for me to go back to Windows 7.

While I agree Windows 8 (and 8.1) are completed by having a touch screen, but I will never sign the "no point in using Windows 8 without touch screen"-argument that I hear from people who usually have never even used Win 8 and just read that from the internet :p

I personally think that laptops with touch screens and Win 8 are great. I don't have long term experience with an actual laptop with touch screen and Win 8, but my Surface is being used ALOT in "laptop" form, meaning with keyboard/trackpad available. And I still use the touch screen ALOT. There are things that are more convenient with touch screen and things that are more convenient with mouse and KB. They don't rule each other out in any way.

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I currently have a Dell Precision M4700 with Windows 7 Pro, it does not have a touch screen.

But after using Windows 7 for more than 4 years now, I am getting a bit bored and would love to try a new OS.

Problem is that my laptop does not have a touch screen, so would you recommend Windows 8.1 on a non-touch laptop?

The cost is not really an issue since I am a student and I can get a Windows 8.1 Pro for $70 from Microsoft store.

I'm using windows 8.1 on a non-touch laptop without any issue. However, I always have an external mouse. I don't think it would be much fun with all those hot corners, pull down to close gestures etc.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa