IE 11 is outdated/unsupported ?

Dave Bhullar

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
Since I upgraded to windows 8.1, a lot of websites (like facebook etc) keep telling me that my browser is outdated and I need to install the latest version, but this is the latest version so does it mean that they don't support IE 11 ? Its like I'm using a really old browser except I'm not, I'm using the latest IE. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Are you using the modern or desktop version of IE11? I've noticed that message only in the modern view. Desktop IE11 does not throw that error.

Dave Bhullar

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
For me both modern and desktop IE11 seem to be unsupported. I have another browser but still its very strange for websites to say that my browser is outdated when its not. The pages load weird too for these websites.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
You can also hit F12 for developer tools, and on the left side, scroll down to the bottom to the emulation tool (looks like monitor and phone icon). Choose a different User agent string - the browser will tell the web server that it is whatever you choose here.

Basically, what's happening is that those sites that do this are looking at every User agent string sent by browsers, and executing code specific to that browser. Since IE11 hasn't been added to those sites' lists of browsers, it gives you a default "out of date" message. IMO, this isn't a very good way of programming, in many cases.

Dave Bhullar

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
You can also hit F12 for developer tools, and on the left side, scroll down to the bottom to the emulation tool (looks like monitor and phone icon). Choose a different User agent string - the browser will tell the web server that it is whatever you choose here.

Basically, what's happening is that those sites that do this are looking at every User agent string sent by browsers, and executing code specific to that browser. Since IE11 hasn't been added to those sites' lists of browsers, it gives you a default "out of date" message. IMO, this isn't a very good way of programming, in many cases.

Thanks, this works, but as soon as I close the developer tools window IE reloads the facebook page and the error comes back. Is there any way I can save that emulation setting?

And the fact that a website like facebook doesn't support IE 11 is just preposterous, if this is the case then they need to fix this issue. I guess I'll report this issue to facebook.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, this works, but as soon as I close the developer tools window IE reloads the facebook page and the error comes back. Is there any way I can save that emulation setting?

And the fact that a website like facebook doesn't support IE 11 is just preposterous, if this is the case then they need to fix this issue. I guess I'll report this issue to facebook.

No, you can't save the setting, but instead of closing the tools, you can minimize them.

I've been using IE11 since September when Win 8.1 was released to MSDN subscribers, and I don't have a problem with facebook.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ziyachater