Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Ok after reading some these rumors I'm wondering, is this booting to the desktop an optional thing? Or are we gonna be forced to give up the start screen which I happen to like! Currently it is optional to boot up to the desktop isn't it? If updating means no more start screen, I'm not doing it!!

Incoming Windows 8.1 update might boot to desktop by default for PC users | PCWorld
    Developer

I have a bad feeling that Microsoft is hiding the ModernUI as soon to remove it completely.

There is already an option available to boot to desktop....and when update comes out there will be an option to boot to start screen.

Global Posts
    807 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blkacesvf41 View Post
    Ok after reading some these rumors I'm wondering, is this booting to the desktop an optional thing? Or are we gonna be forced to give up the start screen which I happen to like! Currently it is optional to boot up to the desktop isn't it? If updating means no more start screen, I'm not doing it!!

Incoming Windows 8.1 update might boot to desktop by default for PC users | PCWorld
    I believe it means that you will boot up to Desktop by default where as in the past you booted up in the Start Screen. I believe you still have the choice to change to whichever you want.

Global Posts
    597 Global Posts
    It will still be optional and the Start Screen will still be there. It will just make booting to the desktop the default, so that if you want it to boot to the Start Screen, you'll have to enable the option.

Quote Originally Posted by mjrtoo View Post
    I have a bad feeling that Microsoft is hiding the ModernUI as soon to remove it completely.
    metro isn't going away.....it's embraced by the younger generations....and it's critical to Microsoft 's unified platform across PC, tablet and WP

Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Sure hope you guys are right and that it continues to be optional. God knows I love my start screen!
    Developer

Quote Originally Posted by Walkerboy79 View Post
    metro isn't going away.....it's embraced by the younger generations....and it's critical to Microsoft 's unified platform across PC, tablet and WP
    I hope so, we'll see.

Global Posts
    60 Global Posts