Windows 8.1 Update 1--closing apps

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I love update 1 but my biggest complaint is that in modern apps the X in the corner does not actually close apps, they just go into standby mode and still use computer resources. You still have to drag down and wait for the flip to get them to actually close.

Anybody else notice this?

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I love update 1 but my biggest complaint is that in modern apps the X in the corner does not actually close apps, they just go into standby mode and still use computer resources. You still have to drag down and wait for the flip to get them to actually close.

Strange, I hit the X button and it closes the whole app for me. Well I just installed the update 10 minutes ago, so I will post if anything changes for me.

521 user

Ahmed Gharib

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
it sits in memory and the OS will tombstone it when it feels necessary or that it would be helpful. As a result it won't hurt performance or battery!

Eric J F

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Thatotherdude24 is right- X'ing the app only suspends it. Drag and flip still closes it, but they got rid of the hand symbol.

I appreciate you noticing that.

SpaceyO

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
Thatotherdude24 is right- X'ing the app only suspends it. Drag and flip still closes it, but they got rid of the hand symbol.

I appreciate you noticing that.
Thank you for this...when I saw the hand was gone I assumed I couldn't do the drag & flip....Just tried and it works.

Thanks!

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I wish the X would totally close the app and the - would put it in standby. That would make the most sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Why? The OS handles the resources as necessary. Suspending also gives a far faster load the next time you run the app. There's no reason to completely end the task under normal circumstances. (Though a rare exception to that is Nextgen Reader, which only refreshes feeds automatically on a fresh start.)

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Why? The OS handles the resources as necessary. Suspending also gives a far faster load the next time you run the app. There's no reason to completely end the task under normal circumstances. (Though a rare exception to that is Nextgen Reader, which only refreshes feeds automatically on a fresh start.)

For computers with 2GB RAM or less that would eat it up really quick.

Working with the clients that I do it would be much simpler for them to understand that the X closes the app. They have so many problems dragging down and waiting for the flip.

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Slightly off topic but still related to closing Apps from Start screen....

For those people who want to open Apps ....AND....return to the Start screen (as opposed to the Desktop as is apparently the current Update-1 default on some [desktop]PCs )...here's how to fix that.....

In Desktop, right click/long tap) taskbar and choose 'Properties'. Then in 'Taskbar Tab'...uncheck 'Show Windows Store apps on taskbar'

Last edited:

herbertsnow

Banned
Dec 10, 2013
Visit site

You don't need to close apps. You're so use to closing apps, you really don't know why you're doing it. The OS manages the RAM so you don't need to. Running out of RAM isn't an issue any more with a modern PC.

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
You don't need to close apps. You're so use to closing apps, you really don't know why you're doing it. The OS manages the RAM so you don't need to. Running out of RAM isn't an issue any more with a modern PC.

A tablet with 2gb of RAM or less it is a problem

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1

herbertsnow

Banned
Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
For computers with 2GB RAM or less that would eat it up really quick.

Working with the clients that I do it would be much simpler for them to understand that the X closes the app. They have so many problems dragging down and waiting for the flip.

If I had a PC with 2GB or less of RAM, I would go out and buy some RAM. I don't even think you can buy a PC with 2GB or less of RAM these days.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos