Can't reset Win 8 to factory default - "some files are missing"

Psyk00

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
My ultrabook returned from repair with replaced HDD. I've activated the OS using Microsoft's automated phone authentication. All was fine till I wanted to factory reset the system. Everytime I try to do I get a prompt saying that some files are missing and I should use a Windows Recovery disc/USB. Of course no such thing is in my possession and the only way to have a clean Win 8 is through factory reset option. Any suggestions. Maybe updating to 8.1 will solve the problem?

Psyk00

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
No previous checkpoint as the machine returned from repair with clean (apart of Samsung's bloatware and) Win 8.

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Alternatively, there should be a recovery system accessed by pressing something like alt-f10 just after you turn the machine on. Actual key sequence may be different on your laptop, but all the recent laptops I've come across have had that.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like they didn't put the hidden recovery partition back on when the replaced the HDD. If so, then you need a W8 image (CD or thumb drive) to take the system back to factory default.

Psyk00

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
No luck with reset after updating to 8.1. I think recovery partition is present - on the web people report similar problems with brand new machines. Guess they had to mess sth when installing the OS or setting recovery partition. Now I have to fix it or send my PC to Samsung for another week...

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Might be best pestering the manufacturer for a recovery disc/stick, since they neglected to put it on the replacement HDD.

thisise

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
There should be a recovery system already preinstalled by default but if not, try booting with Windows 8 on a USB stick - this allows you to reset to factory default settings.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes