How do I move files to microSD on Dell Venue 8 Pro?

DynaDog

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I was getting low storage warnings on my Dell Venue 8 Pro, so I decided to free up some space by moving files to the microSD card. Using the Dell utility to identify the category where the most storage was being used, I moved a 13gig folder, SkyDrive camera roll, to the SD card. It took a long time, and all but a few corrupted files transferred successfully.

When I checked the storage on the hard drive through Windows Explorer it still showed only about 500mb in free space. I rebooted, same thing. Tried disk cleanup, no change. I don't know what happened. I don't understand why no space has freed up.

There is still a SkyDrive camera folder on the hard drive, but it's just 19mb in size now. I know there is an option to make the folder available offline, which is what I had obviously used before, because the camera roll folder was so big, but I can't figure out if that is why I'm not showing 13 gigs more of free space on the hard drive.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

LittlestMac

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
I had the very same problem. I ran Windows CleanUp under an administrator prompt and it didn't seem to clean up very much (about 200 MB, I seem to remember). Then I rebooted... and there was now about 20 GB of space. I guess Windows CleanUp will make Windows "see" free space.

In addition, I created a TrueCrypt partition on the MicroSD which took up all but about 3 GB and then mounted it as a drive. This lets Windows move any deleted files to the Recycle Bin, rather than permanently deleting them (which was my concern).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720