Can anyone help me choose from the MILLIONS of Asus Zenbook versions?

Bright Chen

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Help me choose from the MILLIONS of Asus Zenbook versions

Ok, I am about to end my time in high school and get ready for about 4 - 5 years of university. I am looking for a worthy machine for my needs. I am a person who likes his gadget to have style, and the Asus zenbook line fits that description smugly, but there are so many variations! the UX 301, 302LA, 303LN, NX500...All of them I assume are very recent, and I haven't even listed them all yet! (as in 2014 only), I need to choose between these machines for 4 years of study in a dual course of Design and Media (PR & Advertising), that means, great typing, great touchscreen, potential need for graphic-intensive editing of photos / videos, and a uni-life needs some sort of gaming right?

My needs:

It needs to be a true Ultrabook, as in light and thin. the NX500 might be out of the question because its basically a MacBook Pro retina...too overpowered and heavy for me.

It has to have at least: 256 SSD, 2 USB 3.0's, SD slot, Touchscreen 1080p or above: I am a photographer & I write a lot, so the keyboard needs to be great and the screen needs to be good. The trackpad can be average, don't really use it.

It has the guts to run Photoshop, Lightroom and probably a few more other adobe software very well. On that note, it should also be able to do some gaming, such as good ol' Guild Wars 2, but THAT's an optional bonus.

The obvious: Core i5 4th gen (or above), 8GB of Ram (or above), over 5 hours of battery life. Has to be very recently announced/released (2014).

Ok, pretty long list, but I am keeping the options open. I don't have a budget limit at this point, but I know probably soon I will regret that.

My requirement is beginning to sound impossible...Ok, if you have the suggestion that I need a more powerful option, like the NX500 or the badass Dell XPS 15 (Or dare I say...the MacBook Pro), Im open to look them up. The Surface Pro 3? I am eyeing that machine's design, but I am fearful that it can't reach my requirements (and I can't go anywhere near that 8GB 512GB version...too expensive for such a small machine in my opinion...)

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Re: Help me choose from the MILLIONS of Asus Zenbook versions

I'm actually leaning on recommending you the 128GB/4GB SP3 with a 128GB microSD card in it for good measure. That should be good enough for your needs, and you get the benefit of having an actual stylus to work with the touchscreen.

That, and get the Type Cover, too.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3