Which is the best antivirus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffoffline

Oct 19, 2015
Visit site
Tried posting this earlier but it didn't go through for some reason. For security on Windows:

If you're on Windows 7 update to 10, there's a lot going on behind the scenes that makes it much more secure.
Use 64 bit Chrome with adblockers and Click to play enabled for plugins
Install EMET (google it, i think adding the link is what kept them from approving my post... or might have been the adblocker comment...)
Don't install random crap! ha

AlexT09

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
You can just cycle through the top rated ones. They ask seem to have 30 day trials. Panda has my favorite interface, but I think Kaspersky and BitDefender usually get the top nods.

rollindice

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
They don't differ too much. But even though your friend is right, the best Antivirus you could use is common sense. Just don't click every link you happen to come across in emails, on Facebook or other user driven sites. And stay away from questionable, dubious sites as well. This combined with Windows Defender (which is only one part of the security essentials baked into Windows 8 and above) and you're absolutely fine.
While dedicated antivirus and malware tools may give you an additional safety, their impact on your device's performance is considerable.

This pretty much sums up what I was gonna say

jeffoffline

Oct 19, 2015
Visit site
This pretty much sums up what I was gonna say

That really isn't the best advice.... I mean yes definitely do what is mentioned, but you should also do more. Current virus kits are exploiting flash zero day's and they're distributing them through ad networks. People can literally be infected just by visiting a site that has an infected ad. They're deploying cryptolocker type viruses which leaves everything on your computer encrypted unless you pay them a ransom. Major sites have unknowingly hosted those exploits. That's why i really recommend doing what I mentioned in my post above and also keeping flash, java, and windows updated.

This is just one example Huge malware campaign used Yahoo's ad network

And as far as antivirus goes I like Avira, it scores well in testing and has fairly low impact on the system.

ikjadoon

Aug 23, 2015
Visit site
This thread needs some data...

Search for "AV Comparatives" on Google (I'm under 10 posts)

They actually test detection rates, performance impact, false positives, etc. I think the best free option is Avira; crazy high detection rate (98%, I think), much better than MSE's (which I think was last hovering in the upper 80s).

Monim Al

Jan 24, 2016
Visit site
I think Microsoft Defender is a good antivirus. I have faith on Microsoft Defender. I have also used SafeBytes. This one is also a good antivirus.

abhishek singh21

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
I am running only Windows defender since Windows 8. Occasionally running a scan of malwarebytes, but till date I have never been I felted though I also use torrent and deeper.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

slooksterpsv

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
I run 360 Security (free) by Qihoo. I like it because it is a multi-engine protection system:
Avira
BitDefender
QVMII AI Engine
System Repair Engine
360 Cloud Scan Engine

It does what I need, is light on resources, and includes optimization utilities. On boot it tells me how long it took to boot and shows me an ad. One ad, per boot, that's it. Better than some of the others out there.

Its up to personal preference, but I like the multi-engine protection. Comodo was too heavy last time I used it. Avira had lots of nag screens on the free version. Avast seemed heavy. AVG (I think Avast bought them didn't they? Or did AVG buy Avast?) was ok.

Donald Michan

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
There is no BEST Anti-Virus in town, you can get pop ups, ransomware and malware even though you have the most expensive anti-virus. You just need to know to avoid and get rid of them (goolge and youtube help). It's like protecting your home from burglars. They can still break in even though you have the best home security. Use software's like Mbam, Rkill, Hitman pro and CCleaner if your infected. (I'm still having issues fixing this .aezir virus from locky) (headbang)

peterkendrick

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
There is no such 'best' anti-virus, every AV has its own uniqueness. I use Bitdefender Free, Malwarebytes, CCleaner, Adguard, and avoid visiting suspicious website.

svuk

Feb 28, 2016
Visit site
although some sites suggest Avira - I suggest to use some payed solution (I use Nod32). this is far better than any free solution - They all give free but crippled versions...

claudiamartin01

Mar 22, 2017
Visit site
I used windows defender till now, and I regularly updated virus definitions. But recently, a friend of mine said that windows defender doesn't detect all malware and advised me to use an antivirus. So, I'm confused which one is good. Avast, avg, avira etc
Please suggest me a good free antivirus

I would recommend that you should install any good antivirus software like Avast, Mcafee, Protegent. Amongst these Protegent is a bit new which claims to be only antivirus which also provides data recovery software inbuilt in it. Mcafee is also a good option to protect your computer system from all sought of viruses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers