Web Apps!

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
So I've installed some of these on my tablet as stand-alone "unbrowsered" apps, and apparently, although I've never tried, you can do the same on a windows phone via the app "WebApps" by Australian company Sydience (Seems to have in-app purchases though).

They run quick, have simple scalable UIs and are basically just...apps.

On a tablet all you do is go to the web app in chrome, select more tools, save to desktop (with run windowed selected), to have them as a standalone app.

Please shout out if you have some more great/handy web apps! (I'll add them in here)

Outlook
Onedrive
Gmail
Pintrest
Dropbox
Google Maps
Youtube
Google Drive
Soundcloud
Tumblr
MS Office Online
Aviary
Mint
Flickr
Feedly
Spotify
Hulu
Soundcloud

Last edited:

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
For me there's not a lot of difference from the android app, speed wise with google maps (which yeah is quicker to initialise/load, but not IME massively). Using the 3D mode or anything I find it fine as an experience, unless I have limited bandwidth.

You can always use bing maps, that's just as good really, for a basic map. A native app is always going to be a bit quicker, and a map app is a pretty heavy application, with a lot of data loading.

Speed there probably depends on device power, and network access too. You wouldn't really want to be using web apps if you were mostly on 2g or 3g.

Quite often my 2016 windows tablet (4gb, quad intel 1.8ghz) runs faster in many ways than my 2013 android device (1.7ghz arm dual core, 2gb) running web app versus android app respectively, even if you ignore the network access as a factor.

I use youtube as a web app all the time, much cleaner than those weird variations you get as uwps. I actually use google maps too. Nice to get the street view, 3D etc, just to check something out. Not much else, although I have just loaded aviary recently. Its a little slow to initialise, but plenty quick once it has. Faster than the same thing on my android, once its in.

The filters in that program are lovely, really lovely. Haven't found anything UWP that compares yet. If I did, I'd use it, because local UWPs are a tad quicker.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwilliam9750