Microsoft reportedly still working on Android apps to run on Windows Phone

Windows Central

WinC Bot
Staff member
Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Google-Apps-Microsoft-Play-Store.jpg

When it comes to Microsoft's mobile future, everything is on the table, including the possibility of running Android apps to fill in the 'app gap'. Windows 10 for phone is not even out the door yet, but intel on Microsoft continues to keep this strategy alive.

A new report from Neowin sheds more light on this program's status and obstacles.

Full story from the WindowsCentral blog...

jontyfernz

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
http://www.windowscentral.com/sites...e-Apps-Microsoft-Play-Store.jpg?itok=sPdo885k
When it comes to Microsoft's mobile future, everything is on the table, including the possibility of running Android apps to fill in the 'app gap'. Windows 10 for phone is not even out the door yet, but intel on Microsoft continues to keep this strategy alive.

A new report from Neowin sheds more light on this program's status and obstacles.

Full story from the WindowsCentral blog...

That would surely kill the Windows Store:cry:

RoyalX

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
At first I was against it. Just let each OS be themselves with their own (unique) stuff.

But now after using a Windows Phone for a year and not seeing existing apps being updated or commonly used apps in iOS/Android not even coming to our store. I don't care anymore.

This battle is already lost!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
At first I was against it. Just let each OS be themselves with their own (unique) stuff.

But now after using a Windows Phone for a year and not seeing existing apps being updated or commonly used apps in iOS/Android not even coming to our store. I don't care anymore.

This battle is already lost!

I think Universal Apps (aka Windows 10 Apps) have a better chance of improving the quality and quantity of apps for Windows Phone than allowing Android apps.

Android apps haven't been very helpful to BlackBerry. It's still best to have a native app store, and it looks like Microsoft is doing the right thing by making it easier for developers to write apps once and have them available on multiple Windows devices (PCs, tablets, phones, Xbox).

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I kind of don't understand one thing.
In androids all kind of nifty apps can be made due to the "open structure" of the android OS. So for example app lockers, wifi analyzers ect can be made because there is "no" sandboxing.
In windows, however, there is sandboxing so it does not "allow* apps to use all kind of system "things" and or "control" other apps.

So if android apps which could run on windows phones also would be "sandboxed" how nifty they still would be.
Or is android apps on windows phone another way of saying that sandboxing will be lifted.

anon(9226130)

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
I like the idea to run Android apps on Windows Phone. The reborn of Windows Phone. You can install the popular Android games on your phone, and no waiting time for the developer to make their games for WP. Sorry for my bad English.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I like the idea to run Android apps on Windows Phone. The reborn of Windows Phone. You can install the popular Android games on your phone, and no waiting time for the developer to make their games for WP. Sorry for my bad English.

In that case why buy a windows phone just buy a android phone.

Kaushik Banerjee

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
In that case why buy a windows phone just buy a android phone.
Exactly my point..
Here are so many negative impact if such a thing happens
1) each OS has their unique identity...which will be ruined if they allow android apps to run on a non native OS.

2) the apps won't run properly on Windows Phone due to the OS limitations..

3) android developers will fix their bugs in their apps only for android, will they show the same support for the bugs encountered for apps running in WP????

4) MSFT is killing its own app eco system....and app integration by allowing android apps..

5) WP is known for its security...which will be compromised by allowing android apps, soon WP will be a vulnerable OS like android.

6) android apps mostly run in background and needs realtime multitasking support to run properly...which is currently not supported by WP.

7) people using a android device as well a WP won't bother to have the same app installed in both devices and the user experience of using the app on its native OS will obviously be better in the native OS then other platforms..

8) there are always app compatiablility issues within native OS..now who knows what issues will a WP user face

9) adopting tthis strategy will increase app revenue of android apps even more...so developers will be all the more interested in developing android apps....it may also pull WP developers from developing native OS apps
10) end of windows Phone apps....I dout wether anyone will use a Windows Phone version of an app for example Facebook, Instagram, Snap chat...as they aren't official apps and they simple lack features...every user will tend to use the android version.
Offcourse windows phone fanboys will object to this saying that they will remain loyal to windows and never install an android version of apps already available on their platform....
Later when they face any issue on the WP app their first idea would be to check out the android app to solve the issue...so...no point of loyality for WP

11) windows 10 aimed at universal apps. and named them windows apps!! Don't you people thing the windows apps would be affected if android apps were to run side by side

on a WP

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2