AT&T confirms it will sell the Microsoft Lumia 950

Windows Central

WinC Bot
Staff member
Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
lumia-950-att.jpg

The Microsoft Lumia 950 will be sold at some point by AT&T. The carrier has confirmed that it will offer the 5.2-inch smartphone with Windows 10 Mobile to its customers. However, AT&T has yet to reveal a specific release date or price for its version of the phone.

Full story from the WindowsCentral blog...

bluscreened

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
Someone on last thread said that "unlocked" means GSM only. Not true! Because the new Nexus and Apple 6S phones are unlocked (or can be unlocked after activation) and are CDMA/Verizon compatible, AND Verizon is allowing them on the network. I need to keep Verizon. Microsoft can't afford to limit its adoption any more than they already have been. This phone is a game changer possibly for MS and it's 2015---we don't need some exclusive AT&T/Apple circa 2008 clone---that's an outdated bullsh!t business model in today's world. Especially combined with Apple and Nexus offering upgrades every year---MS will continue to be the loser playing third fiddle in all this

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Someone on last thread said that "unlocked" means GSM only. Not true! Because the new Nexus and Apple 6S phones are unlocked (or can be unlocked after activation) and are CDMA/Verizon compatible, AND Verizon is allowing them on the network. I need to keep Verizon. Microsoft can't afford to limit its adoption any more than they already have been. This phone is a game changer possibly for MS and it's 2015---we don't need some exclusive AT&T/Apple circa 2008 clone---that's an outdated bullsh!t business model in today's world. Especially combined with Apple and Nexus offering upgrades every year---MS will continue to be the loser playing third fiddle in all this

Did you bother to check the supported bands before going off on your diatribe? Google/Bing/Yahoo is your friend.

From the Microsoft Store:

Networks7

GSM network: 850MHz, 900MHz, 1800MHz, 1900MHz
GSM max data speed DL: EGPRS 296.0kbps
GSM max data speed UL: EGPRS 236.8kbps
WCDMA network: Band 1 (2100MHz), Band 2 (1900MHz), Band 4 (1700/2100 MHz), Band 5 (850MHz), Band 8 (900MHz)
WCDMA max data speed DL: 42.2Mbps (Cat 24)
WCDMA max data speed UL: 5.76Mbps (Cat 6)
LTE FDD network: Band 1 (2100MHz), Band 17 (700MHz), Band 2 (1900MHz), Band 20 (800MHz), Band 3 (1800MHz), Band 4 (1700/2100 MHz), Band 5 (850MHz), Band 7 (2600MHz), Band 8 (900MHz), Band 28 (700MHz), Band 12 (700MHz)
TD-LTE network: Band 38 (2570-2620MHz), Band 40 (2300-2400MHz), Band 41 partially (2555-2575 MHz)
LTE max data speed DL: 300 Mbps (Cat 6)
LTE max data speed UL: 50 Mbps (Cat 6)

bluscreened

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
Did you bother to check the supported bands before going off on your diatribe? Google/Bing/Yahoo is your friend.

Did you bother to read any of the other threads on this site which claim working on Verizon is unknown at this time because band 13 isn't listed? Did you bother to read the thread that this thread is continued from where it's claimed that the unlocked version of the phone will be GSM only? Did you bother to read the article that is attached to this thread that claims it's an AT&T exclusive? Snark is just as annoying as people who fail to don't use Google, ya know. Good thing I did my research before posting a "diatribe".

Look, i'm not trying to pick a fight with anyone, but obviously you all are. I've been an Android and iPhone user in that past. It's time for a new phone and I REALLY want to come over to Windows because I'm tired of the other two. I'm the type person Microsoft need to win over and the news so far isn't good. So pardon me if my disappointment comes across as a little rageful. When Google and iPhone announced their new phones, everyone pretty much new the release date and if they would work on various carriers pretty much right away. Microsoft is playing games and it's annoying.

Last edited:

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Did you bother to read any of the other threads on this site which claim working on Verizon is unknown at this time because band 13 isn't listed? Did you bother to read the thread that this thread is continued from where it's claimed that the unlocked version of the phone will be GSM only? Did you bother to read the article that is attached to this thread that claims it's an AT&T exclusive? Snark is just as annoying as people who fail to don't use Google, ya know. Good thing I did my research before posting a "diatribe".

Look, i'm not trying to pick a fight with anyone, but obviously you all are. I've been an Android and iPhone user in that past. It's time for a new phone and I REALLY want to come over to Windows because I'm tired of the other two. I'm the type person Microsoft need to win over and the news so far isn't good. So pardon me if my disappointment comes across as a little rageful. When Google and iPhone announced their new phones, everyone pretty much new the release date and if they would work on various carriers pretty much right away. Microsoft is playing games and it's annoying.

I think it's too early to say MS is "playing games". I wouldn't have expected them to announce a buzzkill like carrier exclusivity during that event, especially since it wasn't an event geared specifically for Lumias. They showed off their new toys and what they can do to build a buzz. Semantics, over-analyzing and all the other particulars will likely follow for the next few weeks. If they announce an official release date and still haven't painted a clearer picture on availability then that's something else. I'm on Verizon too so I feel your pain but I'm reserving judgement.

dreamfly

Feb 13, 2012
Visit site
I am worried. Currently only the 950XL is on the MS store. The 950 is nowhere to be found. Does that mean only ATT will sell it?

kpluck

Aug 26, 2015
Visit site
CNET has issued a correction to their original story..."The deal between AT&T and Microsoft for the Lumia 950 is not an exclusive one."

-kpluck

bluscreened

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
I think it's too early to say MS is "playing games"
Yeah, you're probably right. I am just anxious because I just sold off my Galaxy S6 and I'm on an old iPhone running iOS9 like crap. I think I'm the only person on earth who hates the Galaxy S6 other than general Samsung bashers.I was holding out hope that the Lumias would be a home run and, on the surface (no pun intended), they totally seem to be.

dreamfly

Feb 13, 2012
Visit site
What the...the price now is $749 for the 950 and $849 for the XL. It's $200 more than what they said...unless the prices include the Display Dock. Otherwise it's out of my range.

docfreed

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
This Just In:

Microsoft Lumia 950 and Lumia 950 XL will be exclusive to AT&T in the US - GSMArena.com news

And This:

The Redmond, Washington, company earlier Tuesday unveiled the Lumia 950 and Lumia 950 XL, which are positioned as the flagship smartphones using its Windows 10 software. When the Lumia 950 hit the US market in November, it will only be available through AT&T, according to a Microsoft executive.
"It's the best distribution for this family of devices," said Tuula Rytila, corporate vice president of marketing for phones and new devices, in an interview.
If it's true this these phones will die in a short time

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon