Why Windows 10 S, Project Centennial are critical to Continuum's success

Windows Central

WinC Bot
Staff member
Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
desktop-bridge-apps.jpg

Microsoft's CEO Satya Nadella has stressed the Continuum feature in Window Mobile's importance in relation to Microsoft's mobile strategy.
In a recent interview, he confirmed Microsoft's commitment to mobile on first-party hardware and reiterated Microsoft's vision of a phone that could be a desktop via Continuum:
"We make phones today … focus on … this one particular feature that we have called Continuum, which is a phone that can even be a desktop. I'm sure we'll make more phones, but they will not look like phones that are there today.
derek-gear-ifa-2016-phones-lumia-iphone-galaxy.jpg

My ongoing analysis is that Microsoft's anticipated Surface phone will be a telephony-enabled ultramobile PC. Focusing on its strengths, Microsoft is capitalizing on the smartphone's increasing adoption of tasks traditionally relegated to PCs but that also (in the case of iOS and Android) have OSes which cannot fully embrace the dominant Windows desktop environment that consumers and enterprises know.

Those phone-focused OSes and app models, though successful, are reaching their limits. Furthermore, the iterative advancements in these "slabs" is arguably a dead end in Apple's and Google's physical evolution of the smartphone.
Smartphones are dead
These tech giants maintain desktop OSes that have different development platforms and user experiences separate from their mobile OSes. This could be a hindrance to their advancement to the desktop, even in the case of Samsung's Galaxy S8 and DeX dock.
Finally, I anticipate Microsoft's context-sensitive ultimate mobile device will transcend the stagnant decade-old rectangular slab form factor. But to be a real PC it needs to run familiar PC apps, and that's where the Universal Windows Platform (UWP), Project Centennial and Windows S come in.

Full story from the WindowsCentral blog...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss