WPCentral app causing tethering error

Kyorin

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I'm not sure how long it has been doing this as I normally use the app when I'm in range of WiFi (at home)... Today I found that if I browse an article about an app, and then swipe right to get to the link to download the app, I get the usual links to the forums etc. but if I try to download the app from the link in this list, I get the following error:

We can't connect to the Store at the moment. Check your data connection or try again later.

The problem is, that after this error, I can no longer send/recieve any data, if I start Internet Explorer, I get a message saying that tethering is not included in my plan and I should turn my phone off for a short time and then turn it on again.

This does resolve the problem, but it is obviously a pain.

This problem is totally reproduceable, as soon as I try and download an app from the right-swipe-link in the WPCentral app, I lose all data connectivity, until I switch off for a couple of minutes and then restart.

My guess would be that something within the WPCentral app is trying to download something in a way that makes it look like tethering has been enabled on the handset.

Please advise.

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
What phone do you have and what carrier, are you tethering at all to any other devices.
I think it would be related more to your data connection than the app itself.
Have you tried uninstalling wpcentral app and reinstalling it.

I am always tethering to pc from my phone and have never run into a problem like what you stated when I download app from WPCentral via it links.

Kyorin

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I am on Three UK, and my plan doesn't include tethering. Though tethering does actually work... I don't actually use it though, just tried it some months ago.

Any ideas what could be causing this? It would seem to be specific to this app. My phone is an HTC 8x running GDR2.

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Hi guys.

I had this exact same problem as I'm on Three UK as well. The beauty for me is that as I wrote the app it was easy for me to tell Three UK that there was absolutely nothing that the app is doing which should be considered tethering. It is a fault with Three UK's anti-tethering system.

Call up their technical support (dial 333 from your phone) and complain, then as and when it happens again, complain some more. I complained a few times over 2 days and got through to a technical bod who fixed something on my account to stop this bug. If you can give them an exact time as to when it happened that usually helps them isolate the issue and resolve it for you.

Kyorin

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Hi Jay,

No joy with Three, they just say that there is no blocks of any kind on my account and that the issue must lie with the app. I believe you over them, but is there anything else I can do to help resolve this issue?

Any help would be much appreciated. I'm getting nowhere with Three :(

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
You could try telling them that the developer of the app reported this problem and had it fixed on his account with them? Should shut them up pretty quickly ;)

Kyorin

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I did say that already, but until I can convince the nice Indian lady to put me through to someone that isn't just following a flowchart to answer my questions, I'm a bit stuck :(

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm, well in the meantime, because I think I know which part is causing it, could you try deleting your forum credentials (under settings) and then restarting the app. Try using it for a while and see if it happens

Kyorin

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Hi Jay,

I don't have any forum credentials entered...

I don't have much data allowance left until later this week when it rolls over, I'll experiment a bit more then, and probably call Three again to see if I can get somewhere with them.

deepthought2471

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Hi folks,
I just move to an unlimited sim contract with Three UK and have started getting the same issue with the WPCentral app. My plan doesn't allow tethering so it seems like Three's tethering detection is kicking in everytime I use the app. I uninstalled it and reinstalled but got the same problem immediately.
I haven't phoned Three yet, that's the next port of call ��.

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Yeah try calling them in the first instance. If that doesn't work then I'll look to see if I can work out exactly what network call is upsetting them so much, and maybe include a "Three UK" mode into the app where I disable whatever functionality causes this...

jedibeckett1

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Hi Jay,

No joy with Three, they just say that there is no blocks of any kind on my account and that the issue must lie with the app. I believe you over them, but is there anything else I can do to help resolve this issue?

Any help would be much appreciated. I'm getting nowhere with Three :(

I am having the same problem, three have said that there is no block on my account and they want me to call nokia see if its a fault with them

jedibeckett1

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I'm not sure how long it has been doing this as I normally use the app when I'm in range of WiFi (at home)... Today I found that if I browse an article about an app, and then swipe right to get to the link to download the app, I get the usual links to the forums etc. but if I try to download the app from the link in this list, I get the following error:

We can't connect to the Store at the moment. Check your data connection or try again later.

The problem is, that after this error, I can no longer send/recieve any data, if I start Internet Explorer, I get a message saying that tethering is not included in my plan and I should turn my phone off for a short time and then turn it on again.

This does resolve the problem, but it is obviously a pain.

This problem is totally reproduceable, as soon as I try and download an app from the right-swipe-link in the WPCentral app, I lose all data connectivity, until I switch off for a couple of minutes and then restart.

My guess would be that something within the WPCentral app is trying to download something in a way that makes it look like tethering has been enabled on the handset.

Please advise.

I have been trying to get this error and it happens at the same time i swipe right.

daniel_sherlock

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
This happens to me, phoned three no help! Tweeted them they say its a know issue and hopefully resolved soon, that was about two months ago.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Ok guys can a few of you send me your live id's via Direct Message here and I'll sort out a beta version to see if we can enable a special "Three UK" mode to work around their ridiculous tethering bug

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss