Windows Hello bypassed while sleeping - Secure?

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I was sleeping the other day, my friend was using my surface pro. When i got up he was still using it. We started to talk and he said something about him having to reboot it.

So I asked him how did he unlock the device? (he doesn't know my pin). He said he just pointed the camera at my face while i was sleeping and it unlocked. he did say it took a few tries but it eventually did log in.

I thought Windows Hello scans your iris? My eyes are closed when I am sleeping.

What's up with that?

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Hmm. They should add an option to enable unlocking only when the eyes are open. I am sure it can tell whether they are, or not.

Tarwinia

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
In hindsight this and like a clear oversight. I think I remember reading that some earlier recognition used the subject blinking as a security measure to avoid people using someone's photo to bypass the security. Something similar would be good here too.

Lee Power

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Im a Lumia 950 user, Windows hello always asks for the phone pin after phone switch on / reboot. Once the phone pin has been entered Windows hello takes over next time you want to unlock the phone. Maybe Microsoft need to update Hello on other devices to require pin / password entry on start up / reboot?

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Im a Lumia 950 user, Windows hello always asks for the phone pin after phone switch on / reboot. Once the phone pin has been entered Windows hello takes over next time you want to unlock the phone. Maybe Microsoft need to update Hello on other devices to require pin / password entry on start up / reboot?

That's an interesting suggestion.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99