Windows Hello on 950

JANGEL13

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I just traded in my wife's old 925 for a 950 and windows hello consistently takes 4 seconds to unlock my phone. A friend of mine also has the 950 and he says that his takes about a second to unlock. I've tried improving the recognition by doing even numerous times and also removed it and started again. Still 4 seconds. Is that normal or am I doing something wrong?
Even after it tells me welcome it still takes about a second to open my phone

mark McWilliams

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
After reading this I tried mine and I didn't really get to count to the number two,but it's not always that fast so I don't think your doing anything wrong it just works better sometimes. I wanna know if it ever turns off and you have to set it back up,mine does about once a week or once every 10 days anyone else have this happen other then that it's pretty cool

JANGEL13

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
We'll see what happens. This is only my 4th day with it. It is consistently 4 seconds. I don't count every time but it hasnt gotten any faster. I'm thinking about trading it in for the XL so I'm not sure how long I'll have this 950

JANGEL13

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I traded in my 950 for the XL and it takes about 3 seconds now. Also, I'm no longer seeing this thread in the "participated" threads part of the app. I had to manually go in and find this thread. It's the same way in the new app and the old one.

real0395

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
After reading this I tried mine and I didn't really get to count to the number two,but it's not always that fast so I don't think your doing anything wrong it just works better sometimes. I wanna know if it ever turns off and you have to set it back up,mine does about once a week or once every 10 days anyone else have this happen other then that it's pretty cool

I have the lumia 950xl and I'm having the same issue where it "forgets" or turns it off and I have to set it up again. It's happened twice now, but I haven't kept track of the number of days it usually takes. I couldn't find any other thread about that particular issue.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I've had my Lumia 950 for about a week. When in range (within 12 inches of my face), it unlocks my phone by the time I could get the first 2 digits of my PIN entered. The reason why I'm not impressed in the execution of this feature is that distance limitation of holding the phone near my face.

It's not hard to lift the phone that much closer to my face, but it doesn't feel natural, so I don't think to raise the phone up until the phone displays a message to "move closer." The only times when I hold the phone that close without thinking about it is when I'm sitting at a desk at work and my arms are already positioned that much higher.

Normally, I would hold my phone down, closer to 2 feet from my eyes, and Windows Hello just hasn't been able to recognize me like that. At this point, it usually is quicker to just go ahead and enter my PIN as soon as I turn on the screen instead of trying to get Windows Hello to recognize me.

palmujukka

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
I also have mixed results with the iris recognition. lt's usually fast but it sometimes fails for no reason. I then need to turn the display off and then back on to get the iris detection to work again.

real0395

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I've had my Lumia 950 for about a week. When in range (within 12 inches of my face), it unlocks my phone by the time I could get the first 2 digits of my PIN entered. The reason why I'm not impressed in the execution of this feature is that distance limitation of holding the phone near my face.

It's not hard to lift the phone that much closer to my face, but it doesn't feel natural, so I don't think to raise the phone up until the phone displays a message to "move closer." The only times when I hold the phone that close without thinking about it is when I'm sitting at a desk at work and my arms are already positioned that much higher.

Normally, I would hold my phone down, closer to 2 feet from my eyes, and Windows Hello just hasn't been able to recognize me like that. At this point, it usually is quicker to just go ahead and enter my PIN as soon as I turn on the screen instead of trying to get Windows Hello to recognize me.

Since the AU the speed of recognition has definitely improved for me. Since I last posted in this thread in May, my L950xl hasn't once forgotten or turned off the iris recognition so it seems my issue with that has been resolved.

There is definitely a range limitation and I wonder if part of it is a hardware limitation or if more firmware/software refinements with the iris recognition can help it recognize eyes at a farther distance. I definitely recommend training it/improving recognition several times if you can and maybe it will help to use it at a farther distance. Usually when I train it, I try to do it at the longest distance that it can still complete the recognition. I haven't tried to retrain/improve the recognition since the AU though. I will try that and see if that does anything to improve the range.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Usually when I train it, I try to do it at the longest distance that it can still complete the recognition.
I've been doing the same thing and training in a wide range of lighting from dark rooms to bright sunlight. I've also noticed some slight improvements on the distance and recognition since installing the official Anniversary Update (currently build 14393.67).

Another possible change I noticed after the Anniversary Update:

I have my phone set to not require me to sign again in for 3 minutes. I'm pretty sure that prior to the update, any time I turned the screen off and back on, the iris scanner would activate with "Looking for you" displayed at the top of the screen, but during that 3 minute window, I could also just swipe up and continue using the phone without entering my PIN.

After the update, I was trying to demonstrate Windows Hello to someone, but the iris scanner wouldn't turn on. After some frustration thinking my new phone was already malfunctioning, I finally realized that Windows Hello is no longer triggered during the time that doesn't require signing in again. Now the only option in that 3 minute window to continue using the phone is swiping up as it would be on a phone without Windows Hello capability.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
From what I've understood, set up your Iris Scanner under three conditions;

Normal lighting
Direct sunlight
Total darkness

That will help you with getting a better reading overall, and try not to do anymore "Improve Recognitions" after that.

Hopefully this helps!

real0395

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I've been doing the same thing and training in a wide range of lighting from dark rooms to bright sunlight. I've also noticed some slight improvements on the distance and recognition since installing the official Anniversary Update (currently build 14393.67).

Another possible change I noticed after the Anniversary Update:

I have my phone set to not require me to sign again in for 3 minutes. I'm pretty sure that prior to the update, any time I turned the screen off and back on, the iris scanner would activate with "Looking for you" displayed at the top of the screen, but during that 3 minute window, I could also just swipe up and continue using the phone without entering my PIN.

After the update, I was trying to demonstrate Windows Hello to someone, but the iris scanner wouldn't turn on. After some frustration thinking my new phone was already malfunctioning, I finally realized that Windows Hello is no longer triggered during the time that doesn't require signing in again. Now the only option in that 3 minute window to continue using the phone is swiping up as it would be on a phone without Windows Hello capability.

Yeah I noticed that change too re windows hello not scanning if you set up a time limit, which is great. That was one of the complaints about it before and I did find it slightly annoying.

JeremyMN

Jul 14, 2016
Visit site
After messing with my phone, I realized the red dot is just lighting your iris... The camera is doing the scanning. If you look directly at the camera It's really fast.

Khalid Al-Riyadh

Oct 20, 2016
Visit site
the problem is no one is patient enough to treat their computers like the learning machines they are. After about a week of consistently positioning the phone in differing lighting situations and having to input my pin half the time, it now takes about 1-2 seconds to unlock. it doesnt matter whether its down or up, it just has to be perfectly parallel to your face. normally people hold their fone at a slight angle that the camera is really pointed at the top of their head, not their face. just start typing a text, dont change the angle, just open the front camera and look at the screenshot, and you'll see what im talking about. if you hold your 950/950xl perfectly parallel, you should be able to unlock it up to 20 inches away!. just have patience. and remember, computers are LEARNING machines.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon