Hello doesn't work with glasses

SuStel

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Windows Hello on my Lumia 950 works fine when I'm not wearing my glasses, but I can't get it to recognize me in my glasses. I can't even train it; it never works. Is there anything I can do? I don't want to take off my glasses just to sign in.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Some people have reported this, yet others have reported it works. It is likely depended on the types of lenses, lens finishes etc. If IR light cannot shine through then it's pretty hard for it to see your eyes to identify you. Perhaps try different glasses if this is important to you.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
My experience with Hello is that worked perfectly with my previous 950. For the record, my glasses are glass with Photochromatic finish. Many retailers no longer carry glass lenses due to litigation fears but the fact remains that glass has supremely better optics than any plastic and almost zero distortion. I'm not saying this is the cause, but it's only logical that light refraction fools the scanner.

mtiede

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
It might just be those glasses, but the other issue to be cautious of is where the IR camera is and looking at it. In my 950 xl, although the IR light lights up on the top left of the phone, the actual camera is in the top RIGHT corner. What I started doing a while ago is, before turning the phone on, I look at my reflection in the black mirror like surface. I position my eye reflection over the camera. Then I turn it on. That gives me almost instantaneous recognition and unlocking. After a while, you have a better idea of how to hold the camera so that it is looking at your eye without having to see the reflection.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss