On the Paucity of Windows 8 Xbox Games: Windows Phone Gamers Shouldn't Complain

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I've noticed a growing trend of people on WPCentral, including the editors, complain about the shortage of Xbox games on Windows Phone. And while I also wish there were more Xbox games coming out more frequently for Windows Phone, I can't help but feel way more frustrated about the paucity of Xbox games on Windows 8/RT. There are currently about 150 Xbox games for Windows Phone 8 but only about 50 Xbox games for Windows 8/RT even though they both came out at about the same time, and even though there are way more Windows 8/RT users globally than Windows Phone 8. So, Microsoft may be doing a subpar job of getting Xbox games on Windows Phone (I actually don't think that's bad at all--150+ in a year, even if a sizeable portion are WP7 ports), but they're really dropping the ball on Xbox games for Windows 8/RT. There should be at least 150+ Windows 8/RT games by now, and it is really frustrating that there are only about 50. Games like Carcassonne, Settlers of Catan, and so forth would be fantastic on 10-13" tablets where a family can sit around the table and play board games on one tablet. I want to use my Surface RT as a portable gaming device, Microsoft! Help me help you take my money! Especially disappointing is the lack of board games on Windows 8/RT.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
First, the Xbox certification process for both Windows and WP seems to be broken and incredibly slow. This is why you see less devs taking the approach.

Second, I think there is less demand for games from the Windows Store compared to the WP marketplace. I see two types of PC gamers: Type one want big time games and are often time already heavily invested in stores like Steam or Origin. Type two usually played games found on Facebook or Flash games websites. These gamers now play more on phones and tablets.

As Windows on tablets get bigger, I think you will see more.

BTW, this is a WP site so it seems like a great place for those with WP complaints to complain.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Thing is, Windows Phone 8 came out around the same time as Windows 8, but Windows Phone definitely got a chunk of games migrated from Windows Phone 7, so it's not like those 150 games launched in the same time frame as the 50 Windows 8 titles. We're right around the 52-week mark for windows Phone 8, and seeing as we haven't gotten CLOSE to getting an Xbox game each week on the platform, I'd imagine that the actual number of Xbox games released for Windows Phone 8 is probably close to being on-par with the 50 titles on Windows 8.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte