Play Xbox games without Xbox Console in W10?

Thomas Dewangga

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
This is my stupid question. Can I play Xbox game like Halo 5, Gears of Wars, or other great Xbox games in my Windows 10 laptop without any Xbox console?

FYI, I don't have Xbox console, but I want to play a lot. I'm used to think that if I have Xbox app in my W10, so I can play any Xbox games that I have without owning the console. Is that possible or just in my dreams?

stevesu

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, you'll need the console to play the games you listed. You CAN play the games, listed with xbox in the title and get your gamer points! There are some pretty neat games, but they aren't Halo 5, GOW, etc.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Xbox consol games cannot be played on a PC (except for streamed from an Xbox). However, many of the games have PC versions. Gears of war for example is available on PC... And the upcoming Fallout 4 will be available "soon".

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, what they^^^ said... there's "Xbox games", that play only on the actual console, and then there's "PC games with Xbox achievements". The latter, you can find in the Windows store, Such as Age of Empires: Castle Siege, Asphalt 8 Airborne, and Modern Combat 5: Blackout, for example, all which have Xbox achievements built in, and are accessible from within the Xbox App on Windows 10.

One of the cool things about the Xbox App on Windows 10, is that if you do have the Xbox One, you can stream games from it to your Windows 10 PC.

All of the PC games in the Windows Store that are compatible with Xbox achievements, and the Xbox app will have the green bar across the top of it's icon/tile like this:

View attachment 111666

Then there's regular PC games, like mentioned above. These are the real PC games, and not just the "app games" that you'd find in the Windows store. Most of these won't have Xbox achievements, but are on par, and some even better quality than their Xbox console counterpart. That is of course all dependent on what kind of PC gaming hardware you're utilizing.

Thomas Dewangga

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Well then, I hope many great and new Xbox games will come to PC platform. In Indonesia Xbox console is so rare and if it does it will cost more than in US. I used to be the pirate games but now I want to buy the original one.

Anyone knows if Halo 5 will come to PC? I love the video teaser they have.

tinybram123

Nov 19, 2016
Visit site
Actually, YES YOU CAN! :excited: :excited: :excited: all you need is to download/run the game via the disk with a DVD/CD ROM player , and then find the folder in which the disk is playing . next you need to right click on the disk file, go to properties, and click on the Hardware tab. Then you go down under Name (which will appear under All disk drives: ) and find the disk drive again (it will appear as the same name as the disk file, and the type will appear as DVD/CD-...). then click on it, and find and click the Properties button in the bottom right (above OK, Cancel, and Apply) then click on the Details tab. then you need to select Device description, and select capabilities under the dropdown menu. next, select CM_DEVCAP_RAWDEVIDEOK under Value. this will allow your computer to read the raw data of the disk no matter what type of disk it is. now all you need to do is exit out of the windows that you opened (click OK, and then OK again). NOW YOU CAN RUN THE GAME!!! (you will need a controller though.)

Thanks and I hope this worked!!

-tinybram123 :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Matt Brown

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
As of right now, the following Xbox One games can be played on Windows 10 through Xbox Play Anywhere.

Forza Horizon 3
Gears of War 4
Killer Instinct
ReCore
Everspace

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Actually, YES YOU CAN! :excited: :excited: :excited: all you need is to download/run the game via the disk with a DVD/CD ROM player , and then find the folder in which the disk is playing . next you need to right click on the disk file, go to properties, and click on the Hardware tab. Then you go down under Name (which will appear under All disk drives: ) and find the disk drive again (it will appear as the same name as the disk file, and the type will appear as DVD/CD-...). then click on it, and find and click the Properties button in the bottom right (above OK, Cancel, and Apply) then click on the Details tab. then you need to select Device description, and select capabilities under the dropdown menu. next, select CM_DEVCAP_RAWDEVIDEOK under Value. this will allow your computer to read the raw data of the disk no matter what type of disk it is. now all you need to do is exit out of the windows that you opened (click OK, and then OK again). NOW YOU CAN RUN THE GAME!!! (you will need a controller though.)

Does this actually work ? Taking any Xbox One game, dropping it on a PC and doing this and your able to play it ? WHAT ????

ads13

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site

Can you please upload the tutorial of non-UWP Xbox game? I still cannot believe it..

Last edited:

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft is working towards a unified platform with Windows 10.

"Xbox" is less of a console now and more of a gaming brand. Still it will be a challenge for Microsoft to shed that console image.

There are plenty of games that are still exclusive to the Xbox console (this was prior to the unification initiative) but moving forward there will be many new games that are "Play Anywhere" (such as Gears of War 4, ReCore, Forza Horizon just to name a few)

Maku Maku

Mar 27, 2017
Visit site
Does this actually work ? Taking any Xbox One game, dropping it on a PC and doing this and your able to play it ? WHAT ????

Sure, this will not work because this tutorial has been written down from YouTube joke channel named ThioJoe. As ThioJoe is saying in his videos that he's only making fun for people (you are) then I assume that those videos are fake. So, yeah, don't believe in heart those ones. :)

Also, what I didn't mention is that one video is about making your monitor run at 144 Hz which is impossible for a 60 Hz monitor as long as you don't plan on updating your monitors firmware and he's saying that you need empty batteries for that to rub your VGA cable. That's just... hilarious. So that says everything about this channel, I think. :crying:

So, sorry guys when you believed those videos then you are pretty much R.I.P.-ped off. :grin:

Abhiyender Singh

Feb 2, 2019
Visit site
Hey, I think Windows 10 team is just fixing the compatibility issues. As soon games are in the compatible state, they are providing them in the Microsoft Store.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte