Halo 1 & 2 - Will They Work?

kdk24z

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
I would love to play Halo 1 & 2. I rarely play video games any more, so getting a counsel is out. I have a pretty decent, older laptop that will play them fine, but what I'm wondering is if they'll even work on Windows 10. I can buy both games online for about twenty bucks or less, but I'm not sure if games that old and all the "stuff" that was needed to play them (e.g. - Windows for Gaming Live) will even work on Windows 10. I'm running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. Do any of you gamer guys and gals think Halo 1 & 2 will work if I purchase the discs? I don't want to waste my time and money if they aren't going to work without having to do a whole lot of tweaking. Thanks in advance for your replies. :smile:

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I play Halo 1 on Windows 10 64-bit, but stock and modded maps.
Compatibility-wise I've found it to be pretty ageless.

Its been a while since I've done Halo 2, but it should work OK. You can find an ISO online and you can try it's free trial mode that includes the first level if you don't want to take the risk.

In a nutshell, I'd bet Halo 1 will work, Halo 2 is more iffy but likely.

Jack Neill

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
What are your specs? If you want to experience Halo, I suggest buying a 360 and playing them there. Sure 1 & 2 were great but if you like the story you'll want to keep playing and for that you'll need XBox 360 and for 5 XO. If your set on playing just the first 2 I bet most PC's from the last 5 years should play them just fine. The PC versions bought legally are way over priced these days tho. Just get an Xbox dude...

As a Halo fan I would suggest going the console route if you want to play the franchise to its fullest.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
What are your specs? If you want to experience Halo, I suggest buying a 360 and playing them there. Sure 1 & 2 were great but if you like the story you'll want to keep playing and for that you'll need XBox 360 and for 5 XO. If your set on playing just the first 2 I bet most PC's from the last 5 years should play them just fine. The PC versions bought legally are way over priced these days tho. Just get an Xbox dude...

As a Halo fan I would suggest going the console route if you want to play the franchise to its fullest.

Got some extra details...

For Halo 1, anything in the last decade ought to be able to handle it. (not those fancy mods though) The only computer I saw that couldn't handle it was a Dell Latitude D500 I saw in elementary school through high-school biology. (complete with XP, and probably couldn't handle anything newer.)

For Halo 2, anything in the last 6-ish years oughta be playable. (just over 20-fps with Intel integrated graphics on my ThinkPad T400 - 2008.)

But yea, a used 360 might be nice to be able to have access to Halo 3, 4, Reach and 3: ODST.
Gotta at least try to complete the trilogy!

And no worries. I've played older games than those two on my PC. :)

subraya

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
It's been quite long since I have played Halo. But considering Halo 1 and 2 and games that's doesn't require high end specs. It should work fine on a laptop that's even 3 years old . I have played halo on my laptop that was about 4 years old running Windows 7. Not sure if it might work on Windows 10 though. I have to try that out for my self. The halo 5 is just awesome. Saw a video which showed how it is. Too bad I never played the game on a Xbox.

kdk24z

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Hello. I just wanted to mention that I have already SAVED the galaxy once by blowing the first Halo to pieces! :)

I'm now getting started on Halo 2, and both work like a charm! :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babukapyar