Best graphic cards for gaming?

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Hoping the community will have some opinions and links here for me! Any suggestions on the best graphic cards available today (as I write, April 2017!) for hardcore gaming??

Josiah23

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
Hardcore gaming? Sheesh! Lol.
Great graphic card that will give you the best of the best gaming experience will have to be:

Gtx 1070 (roughly $400)
Gtx 1080 ($500-$600)
Gtx 1080TI(Best of the best for $700-$800)
Any "Titan" Card($1000+)
Gtx 980 & 980TI

Here is a list of all of Nvidia and AMD's cards. The ones in the first 5 columns on both sides are considered their current best gaming cards.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

You can compare different graphics cards at
http://gpuboss.com

Any custom manufacturer would work for you but I use and stick to my personal favorite (MSI and sometimes Asus)

TheDarkSide1

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
No budget? He wants hardcore gaming!

Well I would recommend a 970 as a base to start at, since it's the minimum for Virtual Reality Gaming.

A 980 TI and 1070's can run any game at 1080p and 1440p with highest settings pretty good!

And 1080's and 1080TI are just monsters! Those are the Kings of the past kings "Titan X, Titan Z, Titan Black, etc..."

@Josiah23 I use GPUBoss every once in a while, it comes in handy, along with that first link to see where my GPU stands on the list.

I'm trying to get within the first 4 columns on Nvidia's side!

Awhispersecho

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
1080 or 1080TI. There is no reason to go any lower than those. They both destroy 1080p gaming but 4k gaming at 60FPS is still an issue, even for the 1080TI. If you want a card to get you through the next few years and be impressive while doing it. They are your best options.

Josiah23

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
1080 or 1080TI. There is no reason to go any lower than those. They both destroy 1080p gaming but 4k gaming at 60FPS is still an issue, even for the 1080TI. If you want a card to get you through the next few years and be impressive while doing it. They are your best options.

My 980TI destroys 1080p and 1440p on highest settings (I don't plan on gaming in 4K) (Quality over Resolution) I'm probably not going to get into the 10 series for a while. Really no reason to upgrade if my current GPU can handle anything I throw at it!

But yeah, the 1080 and 1080TI are unstoppable monsters!! We currently have a Titan X Pascal in the gaming PC downstairs but it's mainly for show.

Awhispersecho

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
My 980TI destroys 1080p and 1440p on highest settings (I don't plan on gaming in 4K) (Quality over Resolution) I'm probably not going to get into the 10 series for a while. Really no reason to upgrade if my current GPU can handle anything I throw at it!

But yeah, the 1080 and 1080TI are unstoppable monsters!! We currently have a Titan X Pascal in the gaming PC downstairs but it's mainly for show.

Oh I agree with you. I don't see the need for 4k gaming either. But he did ask for the best GPU and those are the best. Also, to get the best VR experience and ensure you will be good to go for another 3 years or so for any game that comes out, 1 of those 2 cards are the way to go.

Josiah23

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
WOW - thanks for all the info all!

How well do you guys know Nvidia products? Would they be a good choice too?
@James Falconer
I'm way more familiar with Nvidia products than AMD products. I've used both manufacturers and had a better experience with Nvidia.

Now NVIDIA will cost you a bit more, but they will gives you better performance!

AMD is less expensive while still giving you good performance... Not as good as Nvidia's top of the top cards but they give you good performance. They are also known to have overheating problems.

Both would be a good choice, it's just a personal preference.

Awhispersecho

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I am a member of a few PC gaming communities and I am also more familiar with Nvidia Cards and while their top of the line cards are the cards to beat, they have a lot of issues now too. Their driver quality has gone to crap the last 18 months or so. Embarassingly bad. Go to the notebookreview forums or Geforce forums and read about all the issues. Just remember to take a deep breath because it can get overwhelming. In fact, for a while a year or so ago, the majority of us had to use modded drivers to get the proper performance out of our card and stop throttling. The also seem to cripple older cards with drivers to force people to upgrade. There have been talks of class action suits against them.

Having said all of that, The newer cards are great and though they tend to have alot of issues with drivers, they also tend to release "hotfixes" frequently. (Not that they always help but..) Your best bet, get 1 of the 1080's, and every time there is a new driver release, download it directly from their website and save it, Run DDU to uninstall the previous driver and then install the new driver and manually choose to not install geforece experience. You will miss out on Gsync but will save yourself alot of other headaches from it. It has turned into a piece of malware as far as I am concerned.

However, AMD seems to be stepping up their game again and they deserve a look.

Josiah23

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
@Awhispersecho

That is true, I have been hearing about driver issues but I had absolutely no problem using a 980TI, 970 and Titan X Pascal. Does it affect all of Nvidia's high end cards or just the 10 Series?

AMD definitely isn't a bad choice, I use and like both manufacturers. I just have a better experience with a Nvidia cards.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon