So what do you think of WP7?

MrTimSmith

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
I think it looks amazing and I have no interest in ROM's for this. Since it apparently allows you to pin whatever apps and whatever else to the home screen I'm good. Only negative I can find is the wait for release.

erenken

Nov 7, 2007
Visit site
Very Exciting

Counting the days until release. It looks amazing. I think it will be worth the wait.

Still have some questions. I am going to be at CTIA this year so I plan on asking Microsoft them. Will be watching MIX10 very closely as well.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Cant wait to get my hands on one of these devices looks like a huge upgrade. Don't forget as you know XBOX is my life.

commo

Dec 3, 2004
Visit site
I like it. If it can do synergy and multitasking then yes Palm should step up their game. I like it mostly because it has the zune player built in. I found this site which has a longer video with more info on the 7 Series than was shown at the MWC. http://channel9.msdn.com/

Gameboy70

Writer
Oct 2, 1999
Visit site
I'm mixed on it, but more enthusiastic than reserved. The Zune integration is the biggest selling point to me. The concept of integrating identical functions into hubs rather than standalone apps is outstanding, taking WebOS' Synergy concept to the next level.

The UI is innovative. I like the concept of creating an interface around typography and non-beveled icons rather than than 3D chrome. But I'm not wild about how the the text and tiles run past the screen borders. Too artsy, but I could probably live with it.

It's hard to say the same about the likely lack of multitasking, registry editing and sideloading. At this point, I'm open to WP7S products, but I'm going to have to see some compelling hardware before I get too excited.

badersk

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
My thoughts
It's what microsoft should have done, created a consumer centric device that integrates everything and puts it in the right place and syncs with zune and xbox services. The UI is interesting and much less utiltarian than the iPhone. From a consumer standpoint I think it is very nice

It's not what I wanted to see, losing what has kept me with wm. Here is to hoping they continue to develop WM6.*. Keeping it Business centric and adding zune services to it as well.

Tim Ferrill

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
I'm cautiously optimistic. I think that Microsoft desperately needed a metaphor-driven UI.

My biggest concern is that they've done a complete 180 from previous versions of Windows Mobile, but that is also one of the strongest benefits. I really, really hope there is decent support for multitasking.

mvierling

May 19, 2008
Visit site
I think it will fail miserably, this coming an avid Windows Mobile 6.5 user. The new interface looks absolutely horrid. HTC and SPB make better looking interfaces than the junk Microsoft puts out. Those square tiles are terrible to look at and the title of the section you're in is spread off outside the screen. As it is, no one really develops apps for Windows Mobile anymore, they all are concentrating on the IPhone and Android phone. Heck SpashData hasn't updated their software for Windows Mobile in two years. They've ported all their apps to the IPhone.

Unfortunetly, Windows Mobile is dying and Windows Phone 7 will just kill it off quicker.

aebiv

Jan 5, 2009
Visit site
I think this is going to be a major win for your general consumers.

It is a brilliant interface (as I love what they did with the Zune from day 1) and be very easily understood and used by people who have never owned a smartphone before, or are moving over from iPhone/RIM etc... Where Apple and Android had stomped on MS before, was in making an appliance like smartphone OS. Now, understand how I mean appliance; I mean it in regards to that someone doesn't even think of what brand/model the phone is, and instead uses it as they would a toaster... IE it just works.

However, being a power user, ROM chef, administrator, and consultant, I see many things I don't like. I want further information on how the multitasking part will work, as even though I have to re-write a few things I've created, from the first look it seems that I'll have to get things "approved by MS" for the 15-20 devices that use this. That is not appealing in anyway shape or form. Also, I'm wishing that they'd have some sort of backward compatibility for programs. Say run them in a shell, or anything to ease the transition.

I'm personally very happy with 6.5, I've had better battery life, faster app loading times, and just general increased stability as well as more end users happy with the way things "look." What I wanted to see added for features, is multiple exchange accounts supported (doubtful this will ever happen sadly) and increase API's with a light weight OS. I could have cared less about the GUI, and had often thought they'd do better letting HTC take over the entire skinning of the ROM.

I think WPOS7 (Windows Phone Operating System 7) is going to bring MS back into the smartphone market with a bang, but I really am worried about the corporate side of things. Pushing out the Zune software on an active directory domain is not something I'm going to look forward to. Hopefully they release a business version, or keep supporting 6.5 until they can mature WPOS7 into a device that is streamlined for both the normal consumer, and the business world.

...I'm just not "itching" anymore to get an HD2 so I can have it...

FYI, I'm "Ed" in the comments.

iharper

Jan 28, 2010
Visit site
Hmm...terribly disappointed. Looks like it'd be great if you're trying to find stuff on someone ELSE'S phone. Really, is all the 'fluff' really necessary? I'm pretty sure that all the page flippy animations and 'junk' would get old as soon as you leave the store. A competing 'toy' i don't need. I guess I'll give android a shot.

Sirhill

Feb 20, 2010
Visit site
Well as a person that has been an blackberry supporter since 02 I think it is a great step for MS. In fact such a good step I have been thinking about jumping ship to a winmo device (mainly the HD2) so that i can have something that is business friendly and some pop.

iharper

Jan 28, 2010
Visit site
Any veteran computer geeks here? Remember the endless debates of Linux vs Windows? Every 6 months some new distro would show up and it would be the big Windows alternative....but never caught on? Remember that? Overlay that onto what Android is doing right now. The momentum is outrageous and MS got caught with it's britches down. With this perspective does the 7 strategy make ANY sense at all? You guys can wax 'metaphor' all you want, but the apparently fundamentall strategy of basically ditching corporate/enterprise to re-invent iphone/droid/webos with the 'potential' of adding the enterprise stuff in later.....well, i think we finally see the linux 'distro' that IS the mobile desktop replacement of Windows.
Aside from 'metaphors', at the end of the day do you want to hear that 17% of your phone experience that day was watching meaniingless 'wow' animations wander on and off your phone? Is this really productive?
(Please bear with me...) Years ago, when Commodore and it's Amiga line failed, the technology was bought/sold with the speculation that set top boxes would ultimately be "The" convergence device, and of course that was not to be. I think it's very clear that mobile phones are such a beast, and commercially it makes sense for the big guys to hook all of their services into a mobile OS. (xbox, etc), but at the expense of their respective fundamental businesses/partners? Why can't SCMDM be one of the hubs?
What exactly does ditching the MDM mean to enterprise folks? Is all of this just going to show up in this or that cloud?
I can't help but be pessimistic here. IS 6.5.3 'the' business OS? IS it going to be developed in parallel with the 7 series? If so, Will they merge down the road so that corporate productivity will be preserved? Is such a discussion of intent not unreasonable to ask for? This whole process makes MS look like newbies and it's disconcerting to me. Add that to the fact that you see no new 6.5.3 or 6.6 devices on any radar and you get the feeling that MS is ditching it's one clear advantage to re-invent someone else's toy.
Yes, I'm pessimistic, and I fear they are losing my attention. Anyway, sorry...had to get this off my chest.

joecatskill

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
:)Since I am NOT a programmer but do have a passion for the productivity, FUN and freedom that a smart phone can give to you, my opinion is somewhat jaded. I am excited about WP7 in that it brings all those things together at once (productivity, fun and freedom). Even greater for me is that it sets the bar for all of you developers and manufacturers higher than before. Fast, customizable and finger friendly all works for me. BTW my Samsung Omina does most of it but in a clumsy way that seems to be remedied w WP7.

Lastly, I think Dieter is right, having loved Palm and wanted a Pre Plus (now available to me) I'm having second thoughts based on WM7, so yeah I'm scared for Palm. Now its time for you to get creative and I'm sure this forum has plenty of developers that are creative as does HTC, Samsung and LG. Should be fun. I'm looking forward to it.:thumbsup:

teckels

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I'm very exicted, I think it will be a different experience than 6.x but I think that's a good thing. Personally I'm kinda mad because I'm up for a new phone in June and although I don't like anything out now, all I'm really looking for in addition to my phone is stable GPS and Wifi. Not sure if it will be worth waiting an additional 6 months for WP7 when it could be pushed even further than that.

wbeckle

Feb 24, 2010
Visit site
its definitely different and finger friendly; but i think its ugly. my first impression was ugh...what is this? HTCs interface should b placed over it; most of the stuff behind look fine, its just those awful home screens.

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
+ Zune-like, but still very fresh and minimal UI
+ Smart integration of MS services
+ More focused set of hardware requirements and form factors
+ Inclusion of popular social network support

- Navigation looks to require a bit more swiping than i'd like, though that could've been the demonstrators preferring to swipe to show off panoramas versus tapping
- Huge amount of wasted space on the home screen (i expect to be tweaked)
- i understand what "Series" refers to, and i think "series" sounds cool (think BMW) but they should've kept it short at Windows Phone 7 because that's what everyone's gonna call it anyways.
- i've like the Zune UI but felt it was better suited for MP3 players and the demographic they're targeted at. It's certainly usable but i think it might be a bit less intuitive for some, especially coming from iPhone.
- i don't like the iPhone-style task switching and was hoping for something along the lines of Maemo 5 at least, or WebOS

? Multitasking...
? How deeply will OEMs be able to brand their devices
? OS update strategy/schedule
? Power draw given processor requirements and constant cloud connectivity
? How useful the default apps will be given the minimal interface
? Were motion-based gestures (ie. wave hand over front camera to silence a call) held back for WP8?
? Making items private -- i don't want all my photos to to be visible in the photos hub. (i miss be able to make practically any data private like in PalmOS.)

It's really hard for me to come up with a lot of pros for my usage based on what little was shown. i expect my smartphone to be a pocket computer essentially, as Windows Mobile has been for years, so obviously i'm not exactly thrilled with what i saw, although i see a lot of potential in the OS. i do understand the reason for the change, so i'm not angry at Microsoft's 180 here.

i also understand that, aside from the fact that this will be a very connected, media-heavy consumer-friendly device, we still really don't know much. They showed the UI, a couple of hubs, and a couple of apps. MIX will give us some idea of what to expect as far as far as what developers can do, and GDC will give us an idea of sort of gaming experience we can expect. It's way too early to make heads or tails of the OS but i'm still cautiously optimistic and pretty open to most of the changes.

iharper said:
Any veteran computer geeks here? Remember the endless debates of Linux vs Windows? Every 6 months some new distro would show up and it would be the big Windows alternative....but never caught on? Remember that? Overlay that onto what Android is doing right now. The momentum is outrageous and MS got caught with it's britches down. With this perspective does the 7 strategy make ANY sense at all? You guys can wax 'metaphor' all you want, but the apparently fundamentall strategy of basically ditching corporate/enterprise to re-invent iphone/droid/webos with the 'potential' of adding the enterprise stuff in later.....well, i think we finally see the linux 'distro' that IS the mobile desktop replacement of Windows.
The Linux vs Windows debate really only works with the Linux vs Windows debate because there's so many factors at play. There's several reasons Linux never caught on -- no marketing, too much choice, poor consistency in application interfaces being just a few that come to mind. And frankly, those last two plagued Windows Mobile as well. You could, however, say that the Linux kernel has been successful in a way Windows never could, finding it's way on every type of device imaginable.

iharper said:
Aside from 'metaphors', at the end of the day do you want to hear that 17% of your phone experience that day was watching meaniingless 'wow' animations wander on and off your phone? Is this really productive?
Versus roughly the same percentage spent watching four multicolored balls spin? Aside for uses of visual presentation, transitions are also used to hide loading. Not once did we see a wait cursor. The iPhone uses this to great effect to make it seem faster than it is.

iharper said:
I can't help but be pessimistic here. IS 6.5.3 'the' business OS? IS it going to be developed in parallel with the 7 series? If so, Will they merge down the road so that corporate productivity will be preserved? Is such a discussion of intent not unreasonable to ask for? This whole process makes MS look like newbies and it's disconcerting to me.
MS hasn't explicitly said anything about enterprise. To me, their focus on the consumer at MWC was meant to show a huge shift in their mobile strategy, not the loss of enterprise support, and it's resonated across the media in a largely positive way from what i've seen. We did see them demo Exchange integration in email and in the calendar, which had home and business appointments on the same calendar. And we know that Office is there as well. Enterprise support for WM 6.5.3 may be better than WP7 at launch, but the latter will probably offer the better experience overall.

iharper said:
Add that to the fact that you see no new 6.5.3 or 6.6 devices on any radar and you get the feeling that MS is ditching it's one clear advantage to re-invent someone else's toy.
i have to admit, i was disappointed by the number of 6.5.3 devices on display at MWC and i hope this doesn't mean the platform is completely dead. But i do realize that there's OEMs that are supporting two versions of Windows, Android, as well as whatever proprietary OS they have for their dumbphones. Also MWC is one event, and i'm sure we'll see more 6.5.3 devices over time.

mtoolsapp

Feb 26, 2010
Visit site
definitely looks like a huge upgrade but it doesn't completely impress me.

i guess i'm still skeptical, but i'll have to see it with my own eyes before i make any judgment.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb