Tasks in Windows Phone 7

dave3211

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
I have heard a nasty rumor that tasks will not be available in Windows Phone 7.

Is this true?

Is there expected to be a workaround?

SpeedVX#WP

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
From what I saw at the Windows Phone 7 event in NYC there wasn't any specific tasks app. When I asked about it, the MS people suggested usine OneNote to create simple todo lists, which does show up in the Office section, and will by syncronized through the cloud.

For me, that's not only just lame, its bordering on stupid. Why are OS makers moving away from task managers? Android has nothing native and now WP7 seems to be dropping it too. Part of my life is wrapped up in my Outlook calendar, but a huge part is also wrapped up in tasks, and now I'm not relishing the idea of having to go with either 1) a crappy alternative or 2) a third-party app that may or may not work quite as well as a native app would.

nh3

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
While this is indeed lame, the OneNote workaround is not all that bad since you can link an Outlook task to a OneNote to-do.

That said, it baffles me why tasks is a neglected feature in android, iOs and now WP7 (and I believe WebOS as well).

rbmehta

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
Outlook Tasks Sync - MS Strong Point now LOST

Tasks were ONE of the major reasons I never moved from Windows Mobile to iPhone or Android. I was bummed to say the least. It's really crazy why MS would remove this. This is an area they were the best in.

I have looked at two possible solutions both very popular on iPhones. Remember the Milk and Toodledo. There is a windows phone 7 application for RTM but I don't think it's by them but rather a third party in which case it probably requires a Pro account for sync. (Pro requires a yearly fee). Toodledo I didn?t see any WP7 app but I it does have a web interface that can be used on a mobile phone. There were other applications but they either seemed very basic and/or did not offer a way to have it backed up to the internet or a PC.

Anyone have any other ideas?

I just hope Microsoft rolls out an update to correct this major oversight or at least explain to us why they did this. On the surface it makes no sense. They did the same thing with outlook based notes, at least oneNote takes care of that problem. I don?t think it is even close to be able to replace tasks in outlook.

Rocky

Chris McKay

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
That's why I've been developing a task app. On Windows Mobile I lived in my tasks. The solution in One Note is okay, but it's not the best for me. Hopefully I'll have it available soon.

rbmehta

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
Chris if you can get this app to sync with exchange and work like it does in windows mobile for windows phone 7 you've got a customer for sure.

Chris McKay

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
I don't have the Exchange syncing down, yet. I have ToodleDo syncing, though (with the free account). Exchange has been a little more elusive since the only docs I can find all assume I want to access it from the desktop through a COM interface into Outlook.

Anyway, for an example of what I'll be doing, I have an Android app already available. Plus, I have a desktop app nearly completed. The WP7 app is getting the Metro interface and I'm working on a push notification system for alarms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb