11-29-2010 07:12 AM
- Hey guys,
So today at work, I got a surprise visit from a WP7 employee. He wasnt one of those "reps" that know nothing, he was a real microsoft employee, and we chatted for hours about the new phones and software. He said he was going to a few stores and retailers to see what kind of response we were getting. He said he was looking for feedback to send to the developers to know what exactly they should work on.
I asked him a lot of the general questions and this is what he said:
(note: all this stuff seems preliminary so do not take this as 100%)
q: Why isn't there an option to add custom ringtones?
a: Microsoft is working on an application that will be included in an update in january which will allow the consumer to edit, customize, and add ringtones of their choice. This app will also include a user "library" to search and download ringtones.
q: copy and paste. What are you guys doing about that?
a: they are working on a smart and simple way to add copy and paste functionality which should be included with the january update.
q: why cant you use zune pass on your phone?
a: I honestly do not know. that should have been a feature at launch (or so i was told) and am not sure the status on that.
EDIT: Looks like zune pass is there, and I think the rep had misunderstood my question since I worded it weirdly.
q: what about turn by turn navi?
a: we are beta testing it right now. again, ETA january.
thats really it. not really new information, but i thought some of you would like to know. we also talked a lot about what makes a smartphone successful, and stuff I'd like to see in the future such as being able to use your WP7 device as a remote for your computer/xbox 360 and others which i forgot about.
Last edited by MarcMaiden; 11-16-2010 at 10:16 AM.11-12-2010 10:40 PMLike 6
- Thanks for sharing that encounter! It's very encouraging to hear that Microsoft is leveraging their resources by sending employees out to Att stores. Communication and attentiveness is key in a new product launch. Hopefully these visits will also make att employees more enthusiastic about WP7 and engender some amount of investment in the product's success as a worthy competitor to iPhone and Android.
Definitely glad to know that those items are being addressed. Looking forward to ringtones.11-13-2010 06:51 AM
- oo that is a good question. He gave me his card so I can send him some emails with questions. Ill ask/suggest that. I know exactly what you mean.
I was looking for a good internet radio app. when i searched for it, it gave me a bunch of bands and music instead of apps.11-13-2010 10:17 AM
- Don't suppose you asked anything about native podcast support on the phone?
It would be really nice to be able to subscribe to a podcast and download latest updates directly on the phone without having to be at a computer running the Zune software!oo that is a good question. He gave me his card so I can send him some emails with questions. Ill ask/suggest that. I know exactly what you mean.
I was looking for a good internet radio app. when i searched for it, it gave me a bunch of bands and music instead of apps.11-13-2010 04:07 PM
- 11-13-2010 10:45 PM
- 11-14-2010 06:07 AM
- 11-14-2010 11:36 AM
- 11-14-2010 01:25 PM
- 11-15-2010 08:35 PM
- 11-15-2010 08:38 PM
- personally, I never thought "true" multi-tasking was a good idea for cell phones. Not yet at least (so I really didnt ask him).
on an off topic note,
I personally believe that somethings should be allowed to run in the background such as:
Loading internet pages
Text messaging/Email/Word etc writing
Games (when you pause and go to another application, you should be able to go back to the game unless you close it in purpose)
thats all that comes to the top of my head.
I like the idea of letting programs finish what they are loading or doing, then pause them similar to iOS4.
all for the sake of battery, memory, and performance although i am not 100% sure what these little processors can do
and this is coming from someone who has had android for more than a year now.11-15-2010 08:49 PM
- some of the forum members (including myself) couldnt figure out how to get the zune pass to work before i asked him about it. It wasnt really obvious how to do so. It wasnt that he didnt know how to do it, it was that he thought it was on there, and the way i asked him seemed like it wasnt.11-15-2010 11:17 PM
- ok i'm not so sure that multitasking is the best idea. i think that wp7 is still in development. something strange happened yesterday. my girlfriend was playing flowerz on my optimus 7 before going to bed. she turned off the app and i found the phone with an empty battery in the morning. smells like something is intensively draining the battery during the night cause before we went to bed it was almost full. so i think the true priority for these wp7 models is a TASK KILLER APP. and anyway if i play nfs: underground i don't want it open in the background for the rest of the day. i prefer it closed just like on a windows 7 pc. next question that bothers me is why does microsoft disable the bluetooth phone-phone and phone-pc transfer? it's silly to expect that we don't need it... i allready spent around 400 euros on the phone i don't need additional burdens on my tariff plan. i took a picture of my colleague and she wanted it straight away. she said: send it to me, via bluetooth... erm impossible - i said... after that i was the laughing stock of the whole office. some people couldn't understand why i paid so much for a NO bluetooth phone. i couldn't either.
another thing that messes up my world is the Zune software dependance. why not apply a larger autonomy to the software in the phone. make a FILE MANAGER maybe?! the biggest paradox is that with these devices microsoft puts in your hand a device which is almost a pc but totally dependent of a pc. i don't think this is the best strategy. anyway maybe this wasn't the subject of the forum. maybe the admin will erase it. but this are things which were really on my chest and i just had to share it with some of you guys out there...11-16-2010 01:36 AM
- What MS could do is let it work with a few other apps, like for pictures let it work with Live Photo Gallary for example instead of going through the Zune for that, which doesn't give you any real photo management options.
I don't think we need a file manager, I at least don't see the need for one when it doesn't distinquish between internal phone storage and memory card storage and just treats it all as one place. When they do expand the multitasking I'm sure we'll get some sorta task list of apps that are still running, I dunno what it'd look like or how it'll be implemented but I do expect one at that point.11-16-2010 02:49 AM
- edited the zune pass question since this thread is getting more attention than i expected
Rumour suggests custom ring tones, turn by turn navigation coming to Windows phone 7 soon
Copy and paste and turn-by-turn navigation among other features for Windows Phone 7 rumoured to come in January - Phone Arena
Now I'm compiling a list of things to ask him when ever I have the chance next (I have to keep him busy right)
-Search market place by specific section
-Having the option to merge/unmerge Email accounts/one universal box
-better podcast integration
what else guys?
*Once again though, this info is preliminary and might not be 100% accurate so keep that in mind
Last edited by MarcMaiden; 11-16-2010 at 10:37 AM.11-16-2010 10:23 AM
- 11-16-2010 10:33 AM
- If they do add the the universal box for mail, leaving the ability to turn it off. I had this on the iPhone and HATED it. Personally I didn't want to have mail from my mail accounts overlaping. I get lost on who emailed me from where in this case. At least ios gave you a way to just to into the individual mail boxes.
let me edit that ;)11-16-2010 10:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD