My first 10 days with Windows Phone 7

StrykerSX

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
I jumped on the wagon on November 8 and got the Samsung Focus. I sold my iPhone 4 and I decided to keep it knowing that there are a lot of things missing on this OS but I know (if Microsoft really cares) will fix as soon as possible? Here is my list on the things that I consider missing in the telephone. I put them in order of FIX THIS NOW!!! to what I like in the future.

FIX THIS NOW!!!!!!!

? Visual Voicemail ? Whoever decided to release the OS to the market without this should get fired right now! Come on Microsoft it is 2010 (almost 2011) this feature alone makes the phone look outdated. Please fix this a.s.a.p. I love to show off the telephone until someone asks to see the vm. This is inexcusable on this type of smartphone. Shame on you Microsoft!
? Global Address List - we have an Exchange Server 2003 (We have plans to upgrade to 2010 next year) in my company and it?s a pain to look for the contacts. Try to tell your boss about how awesome is the Windows Phone 7 OS and then tell him that in order to access the contacts on the GAL he has to put the address manually! This is something like the Visual Voice that has to be fixed now!
? HTML 5 ? When I noticed that Microsoft put an already obsolete version of IE on the new Windows Phone 7 software without support for HTML 5 I said like in the WP7 ads, ?Really?!? How come Microsoft that is telling everywhere that they are committed to HTML5 didn?t include it on the WP7 OS. Again, Microsoft, Really?!
? VPN Support - again come on!
? Marketplace Search ? Hey Microsoft how about this, on the Marketplace put an option in Bing to filter what you want like apps, music etc. I hate to do a search for an app and get a bunch of other stuff like album, artist, song etc. The way you do it on the games hub is excellent please do the same in the Zune hub. I don?t go to the Zune hub to look for apps.
? Some kind of multi-tasking is much needed on this telephone Microsoft, get to work on this.
? SkyDrive Access I love the Skydrive concept but is completely ridiculous that I can put the files on the cloud but there is no way to access my documents directly on the phone. Something like Dropbox would be great.
? A favorite list for your contacts is a must, I really like the way this phone organize the contacts, but you always have that special list with contact you use more like family, friends etc. I don?t like to scroll to several work and business contacts to get what I need.
? Back Up/Restore ? Please do something quick about this, there is no way to back up your settings, saved games, outlook configuration (certificates) downloaded apps etc. You have to re-download and re-configure everything every time that you reset your phone.
? Save Camera settings ? It?s absurd to set everything every time that you use the camera. I feel like I have to put a flash bulb every time that I use the camera.

The things I want to see soon:

? I noticed that the telephone only vibrate once when you get a phone call. This is not good Microsoft. It should do both in case you have your telephone in the pocket or in a place with too much ambient noise.
? I?ll like to see the battery percentage on the notification bar. (I know the telephone already shows that information through one of the hacks but it will be great if I can see it easily.)
? Easier way to find the IP and MAC address. Again, (I know the telephone already shows that information through one of the hacks but it will be great if I can see it easily.)
? Add vibration to the Alarms
? Disable keys when playing games or at least pop a menu asking if you want to quit the app like the Facebook app.
? Run downloaded app directly from Marketplace
? Open file from any applications - example, open PDF files from Homepipe
? Unified Inbox or a mail Hub
? IE Address Bar in landscape mode
? Answer phone call when swipe up the lock screen
? Drop-Down notifications
? Outlook notifications (notification bar at the top, i.e. like receiving text messages)
? Volumes controls for Music, Notifications, Games, Alarms, etc.
? Market Place updates need to show what the update changes are.

I think that?s all for now, I?m planning to keep this phone because I know that this platform has a lot of room to grow but there are some things that have to be addressed now to put this platform on par with what other are already offering.

neoxphuse

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Stryker for pointing some flaws out. I am personally probably getting the Focus no matter what or wait till the holidays to hear if the Venue Pro will be coming to AT&T/Rogers.

- I myself am provided with an iPhone from my company, so a GAL would be a big deal but it's like I need everyone on that list. It defintely would be more of a pain. I guess I'll have to figure out if my company is using 2003 first.
- Visual Voicemail is a big plus on the iPhone. I hope it comes in the next update.
- Skydrive Access, being able to actually edit documents view pdfs would be better.
- Favourites would be great also, instead of going through all the contacts. Do you know if they at least do the most recent list?
- Save Camera settings would be a better convience
- Battery % would be nice, not a big deal though
- Swiping up to answer phone calls. How is it being dealt right now?
- Unified it's not a big deal, but a mail hub would be nice. But I think I rather prefer separate hubs for different accounts (business/personal)
- Run dl apps from marketplace? What do you mean by this? Do you have to actually download and then sync right now? Cause that would defintely suck.

reast

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
>? Visual Voicemail ? Whoever decided to release the OS to the market without this should get fired right now! Come on Microsoft it is 2010 (almost 2011) this feature alone makes the phone look outdated. Please fix this a.s.a.p. I love to show off the telephone until someone asks to see the vm. This is inexcusable on this type of smartphone. Shame on you Microsoft!

I use Google Voice and was glad to see two program options on the phone for use with the service. Using these, the phone will provide you with visual voicemail. Just a thought.

wsantiago

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Stryker for pointing some flaws out. I am personally probably getting the Focus no matter what or wait till the holidays to hear if the Venue Pro will be coming to AT&T/Rogers.

- I myself am provided with an iPhone from my company, so a GAL would be a big deal but it's like I need everyone on that list. It defintely would be more of a pain. I guess I'll have to figure out if my company is using 2003 first.
- Visual Voicemail is a big plus on the iPhone. I hope it comes in the next update.
- Skydrive Access, being able to actually edit documents view pdfs would be better.
- Favourites would be great also, instead of going through all the contacts. Do you know if they at least do the most recent list?
- Save Camera settings would be a better convience
- Battery % would be nice, not a big deal though
- Swiping up to answer phone calls. How is it being dealt right now?
- Unified it's not a big deal, but a mail hub would be nice. But I think I rather prefer separate hubs for different accounts (business/personal)
- Run dl apps from marketplace? What do you mean by this? Do you have to actually download and then sync right now? Cause that would defintely suck.

Answer to both of your questions:
1.) On Windows Phone 7 when a call comes in you have to swipe up from the lock screen and you are presented with "Answer" or "Ignore" buttons.

2.) In the MarketPlace, once an app finishes downloading and installing, your are only presented with a "Share" button. If you want to run the app, you have to get out of the Market and go to where all your apps are installed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3