Digital Copy DVDs on Windows Phone 7

jonharrell

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I am hoping there will be some kind of update so I can play my Digital Copy DVDs on my phone. I just don't under stand why, if I select the option for Windows Media Player, it will not work in the Zune player. I know you can buy a third party software and convert it, but why can't they just change it, would it really be that big of a thing? Maybe its Microsoft hoping that you go to the Marketplace and buy the movie there instead. But maybe there is not enough demand for it since the storage space isn't very high, unless you are using a SD card. Is there anybody else that is wanting to be able to use this feature??

lucazzo

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Somewhat unrelated, but thanks for posting the issue. I was wondering if digital copies would work on my phone and I guess it's a no without a converter. Good to know!

IamNabil

Dec 10, 2010
alanbar.us
My movies seem to work. I rip and encode the DVD's using a Mac application, and then boot into Windows to sync it. I haven't tried yet, but I bet Handbrake would work well for DVD encoding.

lucazzo

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
My movies seem to work. I rip and encode the DVD's using a Mac application, and then boot into Windows to sync it. I haven't tried yet, but I bet Handbrake would work well for DVD encoding.

I'm pretty sure he's talking about the "Digital Copy" they've been including in BluRay releases lately. I've never bought one myself, but they're supposed to be seen in WinMediaPlayer and "transfered to portable devices". Except it appears as though Zune software won't support it.

jonharrell

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Your right lucazzo. It works in windows media player and the file format are zune friendly but they will not open in zune because they are DRM-protected. I just want to know if microsoft has a reason why zune doesn't support this

subarunut

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I know that this has been asked to MS in the past and they had not responded officially weather or not they are going to add this feature. Currently the Zune software does not have the technology built in (I think it is called "will play"). I asked this on the zune.net forum before it was migrated into microsfot answers and didn't get a official response, but the answer was no it is not currently supported. This was a year ago when I got my Zune120.

lucazzo

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I know that this has been asked to MS in the past and they had not responded officially weather or not they are going to add this feature. Currently the Zune software does not have the technology built in (I think it is called "will play"). I asked this on the zune.net forum before it was migrated into microsfot answers and didn't get a official response, but the answer was no it is not currently supported. This was a year ago when I got my Zune120.

Thanks for confirming this. Sorry if I go off topic a bit, but have you tried to stream those digital copies over to an Xbox360 via Windows Media Center or direct PC connection of some sort? I mean, downloading the digital copy onto PC and then sending it to Xbox (or other media server)?

subarunut

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
No i haven't. I don't have an XBox yet, but I do have a dedicated Windows 7 Media center system and a Windows Home Server. I had bassically given up last year and stopped buying the digital copies.

UpTownDC

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for confirming this. Sorry if I go off topic a bit, but have you tried to stream those digital copies over to an Xbox360 via Windows Media Center or direct PC connection of some sort? I mean, downloading the digital copy onto PC and then sending it to Xbox (or other media server)?
You can stream a digital copy from Windows 7 Media Center to an Xbox 360. I'm doing that with all of my Blu Ray digital copy disks. I'm still trying to get the Zune software to "read" the files so that I can copy the movies to my WP7. I'm about to covert the files and then Zune should be able to "read" them. I will keep you posted.

Necroscope

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Digital copies stream to Xbox

Steaming digital copies bought with DVD and Blu-Ray discs works just fine. Funny how the Zune software will play them, the Zune software will stream them just fine, but if you try to transfer them to the Zune or WP7 the software tells you they were purchased from a store MS does not recognize.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3