What do you expect to see in the first update?

jtn05

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
So what new features do you guys expect in the first update that's set to roll out this month(hopefully)?

I know we are getting C&P but im also hoping for

Bing tun by turn navigation
Custom ring tones
Fast app switching

This might also be a long shot but it would be great if they gave us the option to let any app run under the lock screen.

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Good question. I would hope a few big features like the ones you mentioned, simple because it's CES and you want to bring something big. I think they 2nd update in February will be geared towards developers, opening up more API's. Either way, I can't wait! Nothing like a update to a new OS to renew the excitement in my phone.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm also hoping they open the code so developers can finally get PUSH working properly. Facebook needs it badly, and so does twitter. Beez is ok, but not working 100% of the time.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I'm also hoping they open the code so developers can finally get PUSH working properly. Facebook needs it badly, and so does twitter. Beez is ok, but not working 100% of the time.

Is there a push problem? How come Spell It can push notifications, but the big time apps can't?

lucazzo

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
After two months with the phone it's easier to narrow down a list of stuff I "wanted" versus stuff I "needed".

So I'm hoping that within the first 3 months of 2011 we get:

- Custom ringtones
- C&P
- Ability to sync multiple Live and Google calendars

And developers get new/better API's for:

- Push (as stated above, FB needs it badly)
- Camera (we might actually get a decent QR reader afterwards)

spitothec

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
if we can anything more than c&p and bug fixes, i'll be shocked. in fact, if they wasted their time on the stuff people want (ie: custom ringtones and tbt navi) instead of focusing on bug fixes, i'll be upset.

L3vi

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
These cant come soon enough:

Bing Voice Nav
Sync multiple and subscribed calendars
SmartDJ
tethering

Don't really care for:

Copy/Paste (rarely used)

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Actually, @l3vi may be right. I believe it will be in the February update, not the one coming in the next few weeks. It's probably going to be similar to the way the iOS does multitasking, which is a good thing. Android owners know what I'm talking about. Too much developer freedom and too many rogue services/background apps running when they don't need to be.

merrick

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site

correct me if am wrong but it's MS that made the FB app? So they dont need to open the push API but learn to use it correctly ;)

spitothec

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
There's no need for multitasking. They've stated numerous times that, at least in the near future, they're perfectly fine with tombstoning working just how it works now. Background Push notifications is not multitasking. No one that works for Microsoft has even hinted at multitasking coming.. in fact now that I think about it, I'm not even sure if they've even confirmed that it's something they're working on.

All I'm trying to do is prepare you for March because I don't want this forum to become overrun with people saying that they were told they've have multitasking and tbt navi and x and y and z when there's no information anywhere saying that we should expect anything other than copy and paste anytime soon.

If you're so hard up for all of these features that most of us can live without, in my opinion, you should probably look into switching to a different phone until WP7 catches up.. and looking at Microsoft's history, it could take a while. They've already let us down on release dates and firmware updates, why would this be any different?

As for me, I just hope they fix the bugs. For the love of God, fix the bugs. I'll be the happiest WP7 owner on this website if they just fix the bugs.

edit: and give me SMS backup/restore, but I'm not holding my breathe. Baby steps, Microsoft. Baby steps.

Last edited:

gibbyhome

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
There's no need for multitasking. They've stated numerous times that, at least in the near future, they're perfectly fine with tombstoning working just how it works now. Background Push notifications is not multitasking. No one that works for Microsoft has even hinted at multitasking coming.. in fact now that I think about it, I'm not even sure if they've even confirmed that it's something they're working on.

All I'm trying to do is prepare you for March because I don't want this forum to become overrun with people saying that they were told they've have multitasking and tbt navi and x and y and z when there's no information anywhere saying that we should expect anything other than copy and paste anytime soon.

If you're so hard up for all of these features that most of us can live without, in my opinion, you should probably look into switching to a different phone until WP7 catches up.. and looking at Microsoft's history, it could take a while. They've already let us down on release dates and firmware updates, why would this be any different?

As for me, I just hope they fix the bugs. For the love of God, fix the bugs. I'll be the happiest WP7 owner on this website if they just fix the bugs.

edit: and give me SMS backup/restore, but I'm not holding my breathe. Baby steps, Microsoft. Baby steps.

LOL Funny baby steps.. that reminds me of that movie will bill murry

gibbyhome

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
What would I like to see Hmmmm
1 I really don't care about cut and paste I don't miss it
2 I am with Mgarcia with the bug fixes expecially the bluetooth streaming of sound while watching video..
3 I would really like to see the bing turn by trun navagation
4 I would really like to see the xbox stuff take off and see more multi player gaming
I can't belave they realease multi player games that are not multi player like UNO !! why is that not multiplayer when you have some of the greatest gaming people working for you in the world..
Last I wold like to get back to the bugs ? Mgarcia what are the bugs that you want fixed ? I'm sure we are not going to get all of them fixed..

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Why can't we expect more from a phone without switching platforms. I want MMS, it isn't there yet, but I can wait to see if it's coming. Just because you don't find a need for multitasking, doesn't mean others don't. Matter of fact, it already does multitasking, with a few apps. Let's just hope MS opens it up for others. Having Last.fm stop playing when I check a email sucks.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3