Get ready for beta!

Halo Wars 2 Blitz: Game modes, beginner's tips, and more

One Windows

Microsoft is building a new Windows 10 Shell for PC, Mobile and Xbox

On the Inside

Everything you need to know about the Xbox Insider Program

Beautiful compromises

Surface Studio review: you'll want one, even if you don't need one

3-in-1

Is this the Surface Phone? Microsoft awarded patents for foldable devices

Windows Central Offers

MCSE Certification bundle is just $39

Even more improvements

All the changes found in Windows 10 build 15007!

Games as a Service

What does the cancellation of Scalebound mean for future Xbox exclusives?

Windows Central Offers

Save $90 on these FRESHeBUDS Pro Magnetic Bluetooth Earbuds

Returning for 2017

We're back with an new episode of #AskDanWindows

Lifetime Subscription

VPNSecure is currently 91% off

Our favorite things

The Best of CES 2017 Awards

Infinity Edge in your hand

The XPS 13 2-in-1 is the Dell convertible we've always wanted

Project Valerie

Razer just made a laptop with three — THREE! — 17-inch 4K displays. 😱

Great design from Palo Alto

HP's CES 2017 releases are truly gorgeous PCs

Intel and Google's big day

CES 2017 Day Two: New laptops, new phones, and old ideas made new

Take five is better than ever

The updated Lenovo ThinkPad X1 packs Kaby Lake chips and zero bloatware

Everything we know about the next Xbox: Project Scorpio

UWPowered

'Game Mode' for Windows 10 will power Xbox One and Scorpio games too

Buyer's guide

Best accessories for Microsoft Surface Book

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. cdub66's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    141 Posts
       #1  
    If I long press on gmail acct in settings, "delete" is one of the choices. Not so with Windows Live acct.

    I've got both, but prefer how gmail does things.

    Any info/ideas appreciated.
  2. MarcMaiden's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    103 Posts
    #2  
    well you need the live account to do well......almost everything:

    download apps
    sync your phone to skydrive
    manage zune
    etc
  3. cdub66's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    141 Posts
       #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcMaiden View Post
    well you need the live account to do well......almost everything:

    download apps
    sync your phone to skydrive
    manage zune
    etc
    Ok, I never thought abt it in that context. Of course, you're right.

    Where I don't want to see it is when I'm creating or editing a contact, I don't want to have to pick from Windows Live or Gmail contact.
  4. Light Speed1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    55 Posts
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    #4  
    just pick windows live, its the core of the phone
  5. NickA's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    509 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,672 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Speed View Post
    just pick windows live, its the core of the phone
    I hate the whole Windows Live thing. I'm Google for e-mails, calendar, tasks, docs, etc. I never use HotMail.

    I will say I like the SkyDrive thing though.
  6. Light Speed1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    55 Posts
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    I hate the whole Windows Live thing. I'm Google for e-mails, calendar, tasks, docs, etc. I never use HotMail.

    I will say I like the SkyDrive thing though.
    then throw away the phone because its a windows live phone

    the whole point is so that if you lose your phone your contacts are saved on windows live.
    Last edited by Light Speed; 01-14-2011 at 10:40 PM.
  7. cdub66's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    141 Posts
       #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Speed View Post
    then throw away the phone because its a windows live phone

    the whole point is so that if you lose your phone your contacts are saved on windows live.
    Calm down, man. We don't have to use Live.
  8. merrick's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    21 Posts
    #8  
    This is what i've done. did this almost 4 years ago when I signed up to xboxlive....

    Got to live.com and register your GMAIL account as you're live passport. Then you've got your gmail and windows live account linked and you can delete your live account. you might have to reset the phone.
    cdub66 likes this.
  9. NickA's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    509 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,672 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Speed View Post
    then throw away the phone because its a windows live phone

    the whole point is so that if you lose your phone your contacts are saved on windows live.
    Has nothing to do with that. I use GMail. I sync with that so calendar, e-mail, contacts, etc. are "backed up" on their cloud.

    Love the phone and OS, just not a big hotmail/live user.
  10. NickA's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    509 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,672 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by merrick View Post
    This is what i've done. did this almost 4 years ago when I signed up to xboxlive....

    Got to live.com and register your GMAIL account as you're live passport. Then you've got your gmail and windows live account linked and you can delete your live account. you might have to reset the phone.
    @merrick, so you are saying I can use my GMail account to sign into my Live account? Or are you saying instead with creating a new Live account, I could have just used me GMail account?

    I already created a new Live account, so is there any way to still link the 2, or do I need to start over?
  11. cdub66's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    141 Posts
       #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    @merrick, so you are saying I can use my GMail account to sign into my Live account? Or are you saying instead with creating a new Live account, I could have just used me GMail account?

    I already created a new Live account, so is there any way to still link the 2, or do I need to start over?
    I tried, don't see how. Tried setting up a new account as well (using gmail addy) but won't let me. :(
  12. NickA's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    509 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,672 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by cdub66 View Post
    I tried, don't see how. Tried setting up a new account as well (using gmail addy) but won't let me. :(
    It let me setup a new account using my GMail address. When I went to setup an account, it asked or a UserID. Below that it said to use an existing e-mail address. I used my GMail address. Then it asked for the normal info like password, name, etc. I also saw an option to like Live accounts.

    So it's really still 2 accounts (GMail and Live), it just lets me use my GMail address as my username. There is no syncing between the Live account and the GMail account.
    cdub66 likes this.
  13. merrick's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    21 Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    It let me setup a new account using my GMail address. When I went to setup an account, it asked or a UserID. Below that it said to use an existing e-mail address. I used my GMail address. Then it asked for the normal info like password, name, etc. I also saw an option to like Live accounts.

    So it's really still 2 accounts (GMail and Live), it just lets me use my GMail address as my username. There is no syncing between the Live account and the GMail account.
    :D The best of both worlds, having GMAIL and then having a live account while not using live :)

Posting Permissions