Voice Recognition

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Either I've missed something, or I've just discovered the first problem with my device.

Is voice recognition supposed to be working at the moment? Every time I try to use it I get "Sorry, couldn't hear anything".

EDIT: Turning the phone off and on again has fixed the issue, except I can't do Bing search with voice, question still applies there

I've got the emulator running on my PC, and voice recognition works flawlessly there, including having the option to do Bing search with voice.

Am I the only one or did Microsoft announce this feature wouldn't be ready to go at launch?

action_efn_jackson

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
Mine usually works fine. Occasionally it will fill in the wrong word though. Wish we had speech to text like my wifes Aria does.

Sent from my T8788 using Board Express

chsoriano

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
The only time I've had it not work for me is when I have headphones or a bluetooth speaker (without mic) connected... at least from what I can remember...

Do you have headphones or any other audio device connected?

cortez.i#WP

Jan 20, 2006
Visit site
Mine usually works fine. Occasionally it will fill in the wrong word though. Wish we had speech to text like my wifes Aria does.

Sent from my T8788 using Board Express
if you're willing to side-load an app, someone at Xda developers has patched the LG version to work on any WP7 device. it's decent, e.g. get's the job done, but you can't invoke it from the keyboard like you can with Android. as far as i can tell, it allows you to dictate memos, emails, tweets and text msgs. like Android, you'll need an internet connection for it to work.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
BING voice search only works on my Omnia 7 if i set all the settings to United States. (A small mic appears in the search box to show it's enabled)

Try that and see if it works for you JTB.

It's not been enabled for the UK and most European countries as yet, as far as I know.

Last edited:

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
BING voice search only works on my Omnia 7 if i set all the settings to United States. (A small mic appears in the search box to show it's enabled)

Try that and see if it works for you JTB.

It's not been enabled for the UK and most European countries as yet, as far as I know.

Exactly the answer I was looking for, I'll hold out for the UK enable for now, thanks WeeBear

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm having the same issue on my Samsung Focus. It'll tell me it can't hear anything. When I reboot the device it'll start working fine. I do use headphones to listen to music, but everytime I've tried it nothing was plugged in. Hopefully this gets fixed in the update.

gillbell

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I have Samsung Focus and the voice recognition is exceptional. The only issue I have is as previously mentioned. When bluetooth is around, it doesn't work. I've just turned my bluetooth off altogether for now.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes