What kind of GPU are in WP7 phones?

condemned

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I've been looking for what GPU the WP7 devices use and how they compare to the ones on the iPhone4 and Galaxy S phones.

Anyone know?

bmw3wags

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Haha the GPU is detected for graphics and such though why there is also the CPU (central processing unit) which is the main processor. When people talk about the processor they wi usually be talking about the main CPU not GPU.

condemned

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Adreno 200

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snapdragon_(System_on_Chip)

Most WP7 are using the Snapdragon processor developed by Qualcomm. It uses that GPU.

Thats wrong.

I can't copy/paste from my phone but do a search on windows phone 7 on Wikipedia. It states that all WP7 phones use the DirectX9 GPU. They use the standard QSD Snapdragon for CPU power but they DONT use the Adreno 200 as the GPU. I would be surprised if they did because gaming is better on my HD7 than it was on my Droid X.

mparker

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Thats wrong.

I can't copy/paste from my phone but do a search on windows phone 7 on Wikipedia. It states that all WP7 phones use the DirectX9 GPU. They use the standard QSD Snapdragon for CPU power but they DONT use the Adreno 200 as the GPU. I would be surprised if they did because gaming is better on my HD7 than it was on my Droid X.

You're misunderstanding what the Wikipedia article is saying:

DirectX9 rendering-capable GPU

The Adreno 200 is a DirectX9-capable GPU, and it is what the WP7 OS is using to pull off those fluttery animations and smooth zooming in the browser, and the XBox Live games are using when they make DirectX9 calls. As for why the HD7 is a better gaming platform than Droid X, I suspect that it's partly (a) The HD7 and Droid X are using completely different SoC's (b) Microsoft simply has more experience than Google at gaming (c) Microsoft actually cares about gaming (d) WP7 has a single hardware platform, so it's easier to make it fast - similar to xbox360 vs PC, and is also the reason the iPhone is a better gaming platform than android.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720