I suppose I should have done more research (Outlook content)

cdub66

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
So, I went and spent the $$ for Outlook 2010 yesterday, installed on laptop, happy happy.

Go to set up Outlook mail account on my Surround, no dice. Apparently (*now* I reaserch a little) it's only supporting "Outlook Exchange". Embarrasingly, I don't know what that is in comparision to "Outlook" and/or, why it won't work.

Why dey do dat? :(

Exomondo

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Outlook Exchange (or more accurately MS Exchange Server) is an email server, Outlook 2010 is an email client. So like the way Google runs an email server and the gmail web interface (or the mail app on your phone) is the email client. These days email servers are used for more than just email, it includes things like your calendar and contacts.

If all you want to do is send and receive emails and manage your calendar and contacts then most likely don't want to run your own email server, you'll probably have an account at work/school/uni (they might run an exchange server), on hotmail (which uses Exchange ActiveSync), yahoo and/or gmail.

cdub66

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Gmail was working fine..to be truthful, all I *really* wanted was the "O" (with the clock and envelope) Outlook logo tile.

Silly, I know, but...

WayCool

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Easier yet... Keep Outlook.. and install the Live Connector to connect Outlook to a live.com account.. then outlook syncs with Live.. and your phone syncs with live.. everthing is good in the world...

cdub66

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Easier yet... Keep Outlook.. and install the Live Connector to connect Outlook to a live.com account.. then outlook syncs with Live.. and your phone syncs with live.. everthing is good in the world...

did that. All works fine, I've now got a slightly nicer Hotmail tile than the Gmail one.

Still no "O" tho. ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte