The Growing 3G/4G Debate

VernonEL

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
We all know that Windows Phone was created to tap into the expanding smartphone market. Many, MANY, people are upgrading to smartphones. MS wanted to create an OS that was "Always delightful. Wonderfully mine." -Balmer (Correct me on the exact wording.) It can be considered a "girl phone", and I mean that in a positive way. One that actually works and isn't complicated to use. Some people just don't want to have to work on it to get it to work. They don't care about the details, they just want to see the end result. (Those people probably are not the people reading this because they have better things to do.) MS never said that it would be light years ahead in speed and specs. They said it would be an enjoyable and efficient mobile device experience. "Get in. Get out. Get on with your life."

We know that WP7 has proven itself to be faster in some cases than other high-end devices including ones using dual-core processers. (I saw a couple of videos on youtube that demonstrated this. The links actually originated on this site, so feel free to repost those links.) Which would you rather have? A car with a speedometer that reads up to 150mph, or a car that goes up to 150mph?

Currently all WP7 devices are 3G capable. There are still parts of the country (the U.S.) that still are only 2G. 4G is where we are progressing towards obviously, but when? That sounds like a silly question, but think about it. Those of you with a 4G capable device, how often do you use that next "G"? I really want to know, because I don't know one person who actually owns a device that is 4G capable, let alone actually use 4G. I live in a metro area of 200k people thoroughly soaked with Verizon users, and we don't have it yet.

Since I have not witnessed real 4G in action I am interested to hear from those of you who have.

Assuming that 4G greatly enhances the user experience that everyone wants, (and I have no doubt that for some it will,) what will it cost, but more importantly, will it be worth it? We know that 4G service costs the mobile operator more money, both in infrastructure and in actual data. Of course they will pass that cost on to the consumers. (I think in most cases they have already.)

Now remember, MS is trying to attract NEW smartphone customers. Whatever device they choose will already be more capable than their two year old feature phone. They will, however go right back to that old phone if:
1. They can't easily learn how to use their new device.
2. They feel they are not getting any extra benefit from their new device.
3. They feel that the added features are not worth the increased monthly cost of having a data package.
Any of those thing happen and MS will have lost a WP7 customer. (Remember, someone with a poor experience will be more vocal about it than one that is satisfied.)

My point is this: Why does WP7 need to be "4G capable" right now? People who are mobile device enthusiasts know the difference and care, but the target demographic doesn't. They just want a phone that is fun, easy to use, and works.

I don't think that MS will try to promote a 4G WP7 device yet unless they drastically change their marketing strategy by trying to "out-spec" others. I don't see them trying that for quite a while.

*I'm looking forward to insight from people more informed that myself.

VernonEL

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Oops.

Moderator, you can delete the other duplicate thread.
Members, please comment on this one.

Last edited:

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I don't see much point right now, but like NFC it needs to be implemented and the system will follow. I know the 4G infrastructure is out, but there has to be a 1st gen of devices, but I don't personally want one. I like that a bunch of phones are coming out with 4G capabilities (well...hspa+ ect) so the infrastructure will be tested, and continue to be built out.

Do I personally care if my phone is "4G" at this point? No. I probably won't notice any real world difference in my day to day life, and will wait to take advantage of the speed increase towards the end of 2011.

4G coverage at this point is small and in its infancy. So not only will not everybody have it, but if you do, you will probably turn it off a lot to save your battery from being drained.

Same thing goes for dual core phones. Nothing is coded to utilize it yet, so the real benefit is pretty small, if any at this point. Although I do see the point if going into a 2 year contract (I go contract free). Even on android, only honeycomb (the tablet only version of Android) will be able to use the cores as intended. No apps do yet, and the phones OS does not either.

My next phone will be a Nokia most likely, and by the time that comes around, I will gladly accept the better 4G phones which will most likely have better battery life than these 1st gen 4G phones will, and dual core as there will start to be some use for them.

Last edited:

Pete C

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I think many people will be excited about 4G at first due to all the marketing, but when they see that $45 monthly data plan (at least on AT&T) they will back down in a hurry. It's totally insane. I have no need at all for 4G.

dtboos that is all too true about the battery. My buddy has an HTC Evo and the thing drains in no time flat when in 4G mode.

JRDroid

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I use my 4G all the time. I have the My Touch 4G (which according to CNN testing is the fastest 4g data connection available on a phone at the moment) and lack of 4g is the number one reason I do not have a WP7 device in my pocket right now.

Rich Edmonds

PC Editor
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Completely in agreement that batteries need investment in heavily. We are moving onto dual-core CPUs and 4G, along with Super AMOLED screens already draining down stored energy? Should look back on the old days before phones could do anything but save 20 texts, and store 50 contacts, but could last a lifetime on one single charge.

MSHEII

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Along those lines.....

I can think of alot of issues with first gen HTC HD7. Some have to do with the hurry up lets push the phone out and not have a complete OS, down too T-mobile constantley redusing your band width after reaching a 5GB cap which in turn messes up your phone for your cycle (this includes your own wifi connection by the way) in other words if i want to stream a movie via netflix using my router via wifi t-mobile does not care once your over your 5 GB monthly cap your screwd. the other issue i found to be annoying was the fact a month after i bought the phone it went down in price by 250.00. there are definitley flaws from both sides one can only hope that they find the happy medium very soon other wise this phone goes on the freeway pavement under a 18 wheeler at 70MPH.

Over all the last 4 months i have had this phone, 4 stars out 10 only time will tell what MS will do. Since they screwd people with WP6 out of updates forcing them into this one.

eh thats my two cents, take it or leave it.

wheelerk

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
MSHEll, I believe if you hang in there at least until the mango update you are going to be very pleased with WP7. Lots of great features are on the way. :)

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express

Verizon Hopeful

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
MSHEll, I believe if you hang in there at least until the mango update you are going to be very pleased with WP7. Lots of great features are on the way. :)

I'm not sure what inside information you have that causes you to be so optimistic, but so far, the rumors are indicating that "Mango" might have the following:
- Updated IE9 (with HTML 5, gesture support and in-browser Silverlight support)
- Multitasking
- Enhanced Developer Controls (not sure what this means)
- in app downloads

Maybe someone else closer to the source can update this list for me, but these items do not get me excited about a "major" software release of the WP OS. Seems that these are things that Microsoft should roll out as monthly mini-updates, beginning in May, to at least give folks the perception that Microsoft gets that the WP OS should have "frequent updates".

What would get me very excited (and the things that I would consider to be a "major" software release), would be if Mango included the following:
- 4G capability (per the OP of this thread)
- Browser with multi-tab (more than 2) support
- Custom ringtones
- Front facing camera
- Direct desktop synchronizing (with cloud synching optional)
- Dual core processors

And as a developer, I want:
- SQL Compact Edition support
- Native (C++) development tools

That would get me excited enough to "hang in there".

wheelerk

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure what inside information you have that causes you to be so optimistic, but so far, the rumors are indicating that "Mango" might have the following:
- Updated IE9 (with HTML 5, gesture support and in-browser Silverlight support)
- Multitasking
- Enhanced Developer Controls (not sure what this means)
- in app downloads

Maybe someone else closer to the source can update this list for me, but these items do not get me excited about a "major" software release of the WP OS. Seems that these are things that Microsoft should roll out as monthly mini-updates, beginning in May, to at least give folks the perception that Microsoft gets that the WP OS should have "frequent updates".

What would get me very excited (and the things that I would consider to be a "major" software release), would be if Mango included the following:
- 4G capability (per the OP of this thread)
- Browser with multi-tab (more than 2) support
- Custom ringtones
- Front facing camera
- Direct desktop synchronizing (with cloud synching optional)
- Dual core processors

And as a developer, I want:
- SQL Compact Edition support
- Native (C++) development tools

That would get me excited enough to "hang in there".

Ok,
- there is really no rush for 4G at this time.
- WP7 currently supports up to 6 tabs, so I guess I'm not sure what you are requesting.
- I believe they announced at CES that the ability to edit and create custom ringtones is coming
- Front facing camera...M$ does not build the hardware.
- Dual core processor support...I'm sure thats coming.
- SQL Compact. I remember reading an interview with one of the lead WP7 developers and he mentioned that the support is already there for 1st party applications. And they would probably be opening that up for third party applications. However, they wanted to be careful to maintain a stable platform as they opened things up.
- Native (C++) dev tools? Why would you need that?

Verizon Hopeful

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
- there is really no rush for 4G at this time.
- WP7 currently supports up to 6 tabs, so I guess I'm not sure what you are requesting.
- Native (C++) dev tools? Why would you need that?

Since Verizon (and possibly other carriers) recently rolled out their LTE (4G) data capability, I assert that WP7 phones should be on the market now to allow users to take advantage of the higher speeds.

As I am a Verizon customer and do not have access to a WP7 phone on that network, I was unaware that the current WP7 version of Internet Explorer has support for multiple tabs -- that's great!

As a developer with many engineering applications written for Windows Mobile in C++, if Microsoft were to release the ability to target native APIs, it would be much easier to port my existing applications rather than having to rewrite them in C#.

VernonEL

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
AT&T vs. Verizon Download Speeds

I recently spoke to an AT&T corporate store rep who informed me that:
"AT&T's 3G using HSPA+ is capable of 7.2mbps and that Verizon's 4G using LTE is capable 6.5mbps."

Of course this is from an AT&T rep, so I'm taking that with a grain of salt. He could have been referring to my specific market, or something along those lines.

Please fill in the blanks or correct me if I missed something.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro