02-27-2011 09:02 PM
- Why....oh....why!? Is the Omnia 7 the only Windows Phone that looks like a windows Phone?
HTC's phones look like HTC phones....which is a solid design.....and I love the Dell Venue.
By eff you AT&T.
Who here thinks that the Zune has awesome industrial design. You're all raising your hands? Fantastic. It's visually appealing with it's cornered edges. And Microsoft likes it just as much as I do.....evidence in the Windows Phone demo look. Yet somehow..AT&T has gotten it's grubby *** paws into the industrial design of the Quantum and Focus. What is up with those rounded edges!?
There's further reason to this. The UI is heavily influenced by corners, edges, and squares. I'm of the belief that the hardware should compliment the UI.
I've often sat wondering about how I don't want to reward AT&T's design....
You folks in Europe have it so good.
Anyways.....I though maybe we could have a specific thread talking about the industrial design and artistic choices for the hardware for our favorite OS.02-24-2011 02:22 AM
- I think the op was referring to the physical design of the handset itself.
I agree, the square cornered design *is* more appealing to the eye, but having lived with a Sony Ericsson X10 (arguably the sexyest phone I've had) for a few months, I have to say in day-to-day pocket use I prefer my Surround.
To each their own, though!02-24-2011 07:10 AM
- I hate Samsung's chinsey feeling plastic, and less than quality feeling buttons (like power button on the Focus), but overall it was the best choice on AT&T for my personal tastes (solid bar, good screen). I do like the "look" and design of it, but Samsung's chassis (and firmware) leave a lot to be desired.
This is why I look forward to a solid Nokia built device as they typically have great designs, very good quality & their services which will be on the phones should be outstanding.
My Nexus one is sitting next to me, and when I hold it, it just feels like a quality peice of equipment. The focus feels more like it needs to be handled with care. I don't much like that. If Nokia builds a wp7 phone anything like the N8 in build quality, I will be a happy camper.02-24-2011 07:06 PM
- I have the Omnia7 and I think it looks great, the aluminium case really makes it feel like a quality product. My bro is on a different carrier and because of their band he is disappointed that he has to get the Focus instead - sure it's essentially the same phone but in a curved plastic shell and the main thing that ruins it is the soft home button instead of a physical round iphone-style one.02-24-2011 11:39 PM
Most of AT&T's phones have a similar sort of rounded bottom...they all look like AT&T's phones.02-25-2011 06:04 PM
- Jay BennettResident DeveloperFor what it's worth (and whilst I agree that my Omnia is a sexy little beast) the brushed aluminium doesn't really allow for good grip on the phone so it's resulted on me getting a silicone case for it which unfortunately rounds things off a bit02-27-2011 06:36 PM
- 02-27-2011 09:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD