Weird text messaging issue on HTC Arrive

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Here's a new one:

All the messages I have with the call back number are sent from Feature Phones. Everyone with a Smartphone does not have the callback number....

I think you are right. I went through my logs on my arrive and noticed that the callback# is listed on all my friends with BLACKBERRIES. :O

clemon79

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I think it's some setting that the person sending the text has set on.

That doesn't explain why it all of a sudden started happening on this phone, and I never saw it a single time on Android.

Also: I've been a Sprint customer for a dozen years now, I know my way around their settings, and I have never seen anything like this. If this were the issue someone would know by now.

clemon79

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Another weird data point: doesn't seem to happen from Arrive to Arrive...just tested that with someone. So now I have proof of it happening and not happening from within the Sprint network.

bdattilo

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Another weird data point: doesn't seem to happen from Arrive to Arrive...just tested that with someone. So now I have proof of it happening and not happening from within the Sprint network.

Yup, another example of texts coming from Smartphones not having the callback #.

clemon79

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Yup, another example of texts coming from Smartphones not having the callback #.
Yeah. Had a friend with an Android phone on Sprint text me, too, nothing there either. I'm starting to think that your theory of smartphone vs. dumbphone is the answer, and that it happens with Crackberries (I'd be curious to see what a non-Sprint Crackberry did) is merely an ironic comment about Crackberries. ;)

ashykat

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
When I tried the arrive out I noticed texts from my wife were doing this. She uses a multimedia/messaging phone. I dove into her settings and actually found a "send callback number" setting which was checked for her. I unchecked it and I haven't had it show up since. The weird thing is that when I was using a different phone other than the arrive this never happened. Must be something the Arrive is set up to receive that other phones aren't.

clemon79

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
When I tried the arrive out I noticed texts from my wife were doing this. She uses a multimedia/messaging phone. I dove into her settings and actually found a "send callback number" setting which was checked for her.

Yep, that's it. Mystery solved. Appears to be a featurephone setting on a lot of phones. Had my friend find it on her LG Rumor, change it from "My Phone Number" to "None", she sent me a message, no callback string.

And the answer to why I never saw it on Android's got to be "most modern phones just ignore it since the damn number is sent as part of the SMS message format anyhow, so it's mostly useless information."

I can sleep now. ;)

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo