Unable to connect to Wifi?

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I have a weird problem that I am wondering if anyone has any info on. My phone (HTC Surround) will not connect to the Wifi at work. It is not a hidden network. The phone sees the SSID, and I put in the correct password, but then it fails to connect. The super odd thing is that it did work find for about three days. Then one day, it dropped the connection, and I am unable to connect anymore. I can connect fine at home, and our IT director tells me they have not changed anything about the wireless here at work.

I am starting to wonder if I got a defective unit. The battery door squeaks, the wifi is picky, it lags, and yet everyone else just swears they have no lag whatsoever, it frequently wont connect to Bing or the Market, and it occasionally freezes up and has to have the battery pulled.

jdunn

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Try doing a hard reset. Sometimes this can clear any problems. Just make sure you back up your phone first.

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
How do I back it up, and will that mean that I do not have to try to remember what all my apps were and reinstall them manually?

Michael-Dallas

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
So your phone connects to wifi at home, but not wifi at work? Before doing a hard reset, try finding other wifi hotspots and see if you can connect to them.

If you can connect to other wifi hotspots, then I'd say your IT director isn't a very good one...

Michael.

jdunn

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
To back up your phone you sync it with the zune desktop client. You shouldn't have to do anything else when you reset it except hook it up to your PC and sync it again.

Here is the link about installing the Zune software. Once you plug your phone into your computer there should be an option to back-up and restore your phone.

Installing the Zune software | Windows Phone 7

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
To back up your phone you sync it with the zune desktop client. You shouldn't have to do anything else when you reset it except hook it up to your PC and sync it again.

Here is the link about installing the Zune software. Once you plug your phone into your computer there should be an option to back-up and restore your phone.

Installing the Zune software | Windows Phone 7

Currently there is no option to manually create a backup, the only backup taken is automatically created when you update your phone. No other way to backup non-PIM/email data on WP7.

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
UGH, my phone is such a tease. It actually connected this morning!! I was so excited. Until it went to sleep the first time, which turns the wifi off. Then it wouldn't connect again, even after a hard reset. :(

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
This may seem like a silly suggestion, but have you tried standing next to the router and trying to connect?

Maybe you're just far enough away that the signal goes in and out.

Kibosh

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I guess you'll need to do a hard reset first.

- All your contacts are normally synced through your Windows live account, so don't worry loosing them. After the reset, when you add your account, the phone will sync all of them, calenders and stuff.
- Yep, you need to remember all apps you have installed, you will loose these. You don't need to buy them again, onces you bought them, the are registered to your account and you can reinstall them on your phone as many times as you want. (not on a new phone)
- Pictures and video's are synced through Zune, so sync before you do the reset.
- You will loose also settings as the screensaver and background pictures...
- You'll need to make other settings as well, like region and stuff.

Yes, it's a little work, depending on how much you have on your phone. I did a reset yesterday and was all ready after an half hour.

If the hard reset didn't work...

So you say you could log in. Then the phone turned to "locked", which turns off wifi, and when you unloced it you couldn't reconnect. What timeframe was between it? It sounds more a Wifi AP issue then a phone issue. Especially because at your home it works fine.

Is your work at a big company? The bigger the company, the bigger the IT department, the bigger the IT problems.

Last edited:

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Well, initially (when I first ot the phone), I logged in fine for a week. Then it dropped. The phone says it can still see the access point, and it is able to tell when I have the wrong password in. When I enter the correct password, it just tries and tries and gives up. That went on for weeks. Then, the other day, it randomly connected. It dropped upon going to sleep. It was only asleep for a couple of seconds, but long enough for the wifi to turn off. Now it won't connect again. It's a biggish company. Ntwo hundred or so employees, and the facility is about the size of two football fields.

I am interested to hear that you cannot reinstall paid for apps if you get a new phone. Does that mean if I take this phone in for a replacement, I lose everything?

Kibosh

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I don't know with a new phone. I think there is a limit on how many times you can install the same app on different phones. But I'm not sure... I thought a saw a number of 5, but google it. Don't take my word for it.

IamNabil

Dec 10, 2010
alanbar.us
I've wiped and started from scratch more than five times. Usually to play with my memory card, or to lend the phone out to show how awesome WP7 is.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I don't know with a new phone. I think there is a limit on how many times you can install the same app on different phones. But I'm not sure... I thought a saw a number of 5, but google it. Don't take my word for it.
Zune/Settings/Account/Computers & Devices
Your apps can be downloaded to as many as 5 phones that use the same Windows ID. You can swap out 1 phone and add a new one every 30 days (after you reach the limit).

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster