Just coming to WP7 from WebOS......

Tyndall

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Any tips, help, condolences, etc?

What's the best Twitter app?
Best way to view forums on the phone?

General Quality of Life observations for daily usage?

Any way to get files, photos and music\videos on the phone other than Zune?

Any "Must Have" apps?

Thanks in advance for any help or pointers!

Jack

ctt1wbw

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
The best Twitter app? There's only a few, but Beezz is free and has push notifications. It's not exactly pleasing to the eye, but still. I use the Twitter app, it actually is nice. MoTweets is nice too.

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I highly recommend Board Express. It lets you post to forums via a sleek app. That's how a lot of the regulars post here.

If you're into gaming news the IGN app is pretty awesome.

For turn by turn GPS check out A to B. It's completely free.

I'm not sure of another way to transfer things besides Zune. You could always email pics to your phone.

Welcome and I think you're going to love this phone. Don't forget to check out the Xbox Live games. I like Flight Control and Full House Poker.

Oh and the official Twitter app is pretty awesome too...

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
welcome to wp7 from webPOS.
-I jus use the official twitter app.
- u can go to any forum site on this phone just as u would on a desktop PC and it works great. this is if u don't want to pay for board express.
-there's a hack that will allow the wp7 device to be used as a USB drive, but Zune works great for transferring pictures ,music,videos as well and it gets even better with Zune pass. SkyDrive also works for transferring photos too.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!

Must have apps (at least they are for me):

• ESPN ScoreCenter (ScoreMobile seems nice as well)
  • Photobucket
  • 4th & Mayor (great 4sq app)
  • Birdsong (at $0.99, it's my twitter client of choice, but the official (free) is good too)
  • BoardExpress Pro for Tapatalk (at $2.99, it's for surfing forums, including this and many others that are supported)
  • Chrome to Windows Phone 7 (send links to your new from Chrome... they support other browsers too)
  • WeatherBug

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
welcome to wp7 from webPOS.

-I jus use the official twitter app.

- u can go to any forum site on this phone just as u would on a desktop PC and it works great. this is if u don't want to pay for board express.

-there's a hack that will allow the wp7 device to be used as a USB drive, but Zune works great for transferring pictures ,music,videos as well and it gets even better with Zune pass. SkyDrive also works for transferring photos too.
I didn't get Board Express for a while, but if you're not on WiFi WPCentral forums takes a little while to load. Plus it's easier to write posts in the app textbox compared to a HTML form.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I didn't get Board Express for a while, but if you're not on WiFi WPCentral forums takes a little while to load. Plus it's easier to write posts in the app textbox compared to a HTML form.

it loads in a reasonable amount of time to me on my sprint EV connection

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
OP welcome to the WPC for file transfer if you use drop box get BoxFiles its free and works great.

I could be wrong, but I tried Boxfiles, and it did not seem to actually put the files on my phone. It just connects to my Dropbox account and lets me view things essentially online.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I could be wrong, but I tried Boxfiles, and it did not seem to actually put the files on my phone. It just connects to my Dropbox account and lets me view things essentially online.

No that is true it does give on line previews. You can however tap and hold on the file chose download then save to phone to keep it on the device. The file will then be associated with the program that uses that file type like image files are available in your pictures saved file.

Rich Edmonds

PC Editor
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to the platform and forums! If you let us in as to how you're going to use the device throughout each day, maybe we can fire more accurate pointers to you :)

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
No that is true it does give on line previews. You can however tap and hold on the file chose download then save to phone to keep it on the device. The file will then be associated with the program that uses that file type like image files are available in your pictures saved file.

When I tap and hold on the file, I don't get an option to download. I get copy, move, delete, rename, email, and open. I tried the "move" option, but it only lets you move things to other dropbox folders.

Weird. I have the paid version of Boxfiles. Have actually done this? Longpress and download? Totally strange that it would behave so differently between users.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
That is odd is, does your device have the NoDo update? I have an HTC Arrive that already has NoDo cane pre installed.

Edit: The only file that I have been able to save is pictures. What file type are you trying to save try a picture. I'm going to try some other files like movies and thing to see that I can save I'll let ya know.

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
That is odd is, does your device have the NoDo update? I have an HTC Arrive that already has NoDo cane pre installed.

Edit: The only file that I have been able to save is pictures. What file type are you trying to save try a picture. I'm going to try some other files like movies and thing to see that I can save I'll let ya know.

No nodo and it was music. Maybe that is it.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
No nodo and it was music. Maybe that is it.

Easy File Hub includes a Dropbox client that allows you to stream or download music or videos, dependinon the dropbox folder (private or public) your files are in. But you can't move the files around with this app. Need a Dropbox app to move and this to play. App also connects to Google Docs, and with a desktop client, will connect wirelessly to your PC, where you can upload any file for storage or stream/upload music and videos. Cluncky but it works. I got it fo free but now its 0.99.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Tyndall

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Back again, folks.

Just an update to let you all know that I returned the phone, it just would not work for me.

I needed to return it within a week to forestall a restock fee from Sprint.

My main problems were twofold, one being the hardware, which I could definitely have gotten used to, but the second was a software problem that I could not overcome.

No matter how I set the phone up, no matter how many different ways I tried, I could not get my Exchange email accounts to synch, same with my calendars. Well, that is not entirely true....I could get them to synch the first time, but thereafter they would never synch again.

Specifically I would get the dreaded:

"Not updated

There's a problem with <mail domain>

Try again later.

Last tried <X> seconds ago

Error code: 85010001"

Alas I have tried every suggested resolution to the issue I could find on the interwebs, every MS help forum and even swinging a dead cat over my head. No love.

So I returned it. I am not willing to synch my numerous Exchange accounts over to Google and get a bastardized version through that workaround.

I also was not overly enthused about the hardware. I found that even in landscape I was using the on-screen keyboard much more than the slide-out, and I think I would have a better experience with a slate form factor than the slider.

On a positive note, I Loved the OS. It was smooth, fast, beautiful. I liked the Metro UI a lot. I'd still have kept the phone, but for the Exchange problems. But that was a deal breaker as I have to follow 6 distinct calendars on my mobile device.

Thanks much for the kind words and suggestions. I am back on my Pre for the time being, at least until I can figure out what to do next.

toyotast165

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
ok i finally switch the mrs and myself over. im just too worried about getting my pre3 damaged at work, so i picked up focus flashes for us. like it way more than the surround i have.
my only issue i have yet to figure out is i am a member of a forum that does not deal with tapatalk, and for me to upload a photo it was simple on my pre, just copy/paste the url of the .img on photobucket.com full site and damnit it aint that easy on wp7 without a keyboard! i hightlight the url to copy/paste...... and ah well how about a different way since that dont work

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234