What is level of interest in Adobe AIR on WP7?

cokathleen

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm curious to know the level of interest by members of this forum in developing Adobe AIR apps running on Windows Phone 7. What do you perceive as pros and cons?

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Difficult question, from a dev perspective the WP7 development tools are very easy to use and you can build excellent GUI's using Expression Blend. AIR would mean moving away from the established Metro UI themes for the sake of cross-platform compatibility.

Any reason to encourage new developers into the marketplace is a good one, and for that AIR support would be great, but as an existing dev the prospect is far less appealing.

kalldrexx

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
AIR would make it easy for me to create games for all 3 platforms without adding extra code for each platform. Thats why I would love it.

gibbyhome

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I agree with Apple on this one
Adobe is the main reason for crashes its terrable, all that facebook adobe stuff crashes all the time, its cpu intensive etc..
I would say No to any adobe products

kalldrexx

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I agree with Apple on this one
Adobe is the main reason for crashes its terrable, all that facebook adobe stuff crashes all the time, its cpu intensive etc..
I would say No to any adobe products

We are talking about Adobe Air, not flash. AIR isn't primarily used for web pages (if at all) and is instead used to make full blown applications.

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Every time I install Adobe Air on my computer by accident, I immediately uninstall it. I've never used an Adobe Air application that did not seem ugly, clunky, kludgy, and jarring. This is all just personal opinion of course, but I prefer the consistant Metro look across WP7 apps. I don't want apps that all look different (and ugly).

I can see why it would appeal to developers though.

Last edited:

WayCool

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Air is absolutely HORRID ! Maybe it works well on Mac OSx ? Its TERRIBLE on Windows.. never seen so many application errors..

I dont want it anywhere near my phone !

Rich Edmonds

PC Editor
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I hate Adobe AIR with a passion! Agreed with Waycoolkennel with how it barely works on Windows and if it does you will lose a good chunk of RAM. The only app I'm prepared to run on AIR is The Sun model (forgotten what her name is) where she pops on screen and then walks off :p

AirGonzo

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Bad running Air-Apps is not an issue of Adobe's Air, it's more about bad programming. Air Apps can be programmed pretty bug-free and well-performing.

I would prefer seeing Air-Support for WP7 and future versions as it would increase the amount of developers doing Apps for Windows platforms and make it more competitive to android and iOS.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Adobe Air requires Flash, IIRC, so with Flash never coming to WP7 I don't see how they're going to bring Adobe Air...

Phinrich

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Phinrich

Im not the best qualified to answer this question but in my opinion it would be FANTASTIC !!

I think Adobe have done an EXCELLENT job with AIR publishing to Android (I must admit to not yet having tried publish to i Phone) and if in AIR we could choose to publish to WP 7 (if this is even possible) then AIR would be one system ernabling you to publish to almost every OS in mobile.

Hope thats Adobes intention.

Paul:cool:

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Air is decent problem is hardly anyone is using it for something other than some useless and redundant twitter or Facebook client. Also the air development tool (IDE etc) are rather expensive. I've moved on from using disparate ill integrate tools for development.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3