Any way to see what's been using battery?

cdub66

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Like the title says..I'm wondering if one of the apps (I don't have many) might be sucking battery.
Any way I can see what's been using what?

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
As there is no multitasking, no app can run in the background to either drain battery, or monitor apps that may be draining battery. Native apps, like Alarm, can run in the background but they have all been optimized for minimal drain. Games really eat battery. You need to monitor what you do throughout the day and try to determine your total screen on time (vs sleep time). Depending on your device, that should be somewhere between 4.5 and 6 hours on a full charge.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

cdub66

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
How about Fourth and Mayor? Would it be constantly updating location? That's about the only one I could possibly pin it on.

Did a factory reset last night, then reset all my settings like screen brightness etc. back where I had them. Only app I added is Rowi.

I'll see how it goess today.

*edit* I don't play games much, but when I do I don't include that charge cycle in my battery-life comparisions.

Last edited:

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Wifi, 3G and data connection are huge battery drainers. I turn them off before I go to sleep every night.
Well yeah, but as you don't use the phone when you are sleeping, how about a little thing called a charger. With all connections off, updates are not possible, so no live tile refreshes, timed email updates, text messages, etc.

I have WiFi turned on 24/7 and have found it to be more battery efficient than my not so great 3G, 3G+ connection. I would like to turn off 3G, and use Edge for background tasks, but my Surround does not have the 3G toggle. I tried Schapmans Advanced Configuration which adds the toggle but the change does not stick. Hopefully he can correct it. I know turning 3G off would probably get me another 15-25% per day.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
How about Fourth and Mayor? Would it be constantly updating location? That's about the only one I could possibly pin it on.

Did a factory reset last night, then reset all my settings like screen brightness etc. back where I had them. Only app I added is Rowi.

Without multitasking, no app can run in the background. Microsoft tries to maintain a constant connection with your phone, so if you data connection is weak, you will experience some extra drain, even without waking up the screen. If you have access to WiFi, you can try turning that on, and 3G off if possible, which would keep you connected but use less power. WFi is actually quite efficient on WP7.

wheelerk

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
@cdub66...when are you experiencing battery drain? When I'm at work, there is no wifi and I'm not using bluetooth during that time, so I turn them both off. So I'm just texting and emailing and there is minimal battery drain. During my hour commute home, I turn bluetooth on and I have probably 3/4 of my batter left. Of course when I get home, bluetooth goes off and wifi comes on. I'm impressed how well WP7 manages the battery life.

cdub66

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Might have just been the phone. I went to try and exchange it due to dust under the screen, surprisingly they agreed!

However, they were out of Surrounds so they offered me a LG Optimus 7 instead which I took. It goes a day easy, could maybe stretch it to two.

Maybe I had a bum Surround.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes