Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Global Posts
    3,764 Global Posts
    For me at least Rare haven't being doing anything interesting for Microsoft with the exception of Avatars and Kinect. Now I was thinking, why not take those Kinect games and make something for Windows Phone? Like Windows Sports or Windows Adventures.

Core games for WP7 can also prove to be successful, A Banjo Game for example, Perfect Dark is another one. Gameloft prove all of this is possible on a smartphone so why not have some great Microsoft Exclusives?
    Mod Emeritus

Global Posts
    5,276 Global Posts
    Man Microsoft needs to make Rare do SOMETHING. While designing the avatars is probably the most successful thing Rare has done for MS, I'd still love to see Rare release at least a few classic games, whether it's on the 360 or WP7. Unfortunately I can't help but to feel that like Sega most of the talent has either gotten old or left Rare a long time ago.

Rare hasn't made anything compelling to me in a long time, and I would like to think that Microsoft has bigger developer talent pool to draw from.
    Sure if they made something like Jet Force Gemini for WP I'd be all over it.

Global Posts
    3,470 Global Posts
    Rare pulled a Kin. Complete failure on the video game front. I actually forgot MS had purchased them.
    Goodbye Dooley! You will NOT be missed!:@
    Bring back the WeeeeeBeeeeaaarrrr

Global Posts
    3,764 Global Posts
    To be honest I only like their Avatar work, But it will be nice to have a complete studio committed to the platform. I want games man, good ones.

Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    Just because MS bought the studio doesn't mean that all of the people came with it. I would be interested in knowing how many of the same emloyees from Rare's "Golden days" of Goldeneye and Perfect Dark are still around. Just like We probably wont see a Modern Warefare game as good as MW2 since alot of infinity wards people left. Sad really, great games take down by large corporations.
    Past Phones:
    A few dumb phones
    Blackberry
    iPhone 3G (Sold)
    Samsung Captivate (Sold)
    Samsung Focus (Returned)
    HTC Inspire (Returned....Oh man it was horrible)
    Samsung Focus(Again)
    Samsung Nexus S (Sold)
    iPhone 4 (Trying to sell or trade for Lumia 920)
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Global Posts
    3,470 Global Posts
    True. Activision still have IW but most the people have left.

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffdunn2010 View Post
    Just because MS bought the studio doesn't mean that all of the people came with it. I would be interested in knowing how many of the same emloyees from Rare's "Golden days" of Goldeneye and Perfect Dark are still around. Just like We probably wont see a Modern Warefare game as good as MW2 since alot of infinity wards people left. Sad really, great games take down by large corporations.
    MS did not cripple rare. they have many great games whether developed by themselves or by another company under their ownership or supervision so lo que dijiste no tiene ningn sentido.

Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
    MS did not cripple rare. they have many great games whether developed by themselves or by another company under their ownership or supervision so lo que dijiste no tiene ningn sentido.
    Care to name a few of those great games? I sure have not seen any in a long time come from the doors of Rare.
    Past Phones:
    A few dumb phones
    Blackberry
    iPhone 3G (Sold)
    Samsung Captivate (Sold)
    Samsung Focus (Returned)
    Samsung Focus(Again)
    Samsung Nexus S (Sold)
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus

With all of the recent FPS and MMO's coming to the Iphone and Android, Microsoft had better get someone to start making good games quick, that is a huge portion of the smartphone industry and as of now Xbox live on WM7 isn't really impressing.

Global Posts
    3,764 Global Posts
    Exactly, they just have Iphone ports at a higher price =/.

Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterfang View Post
    Exactly, they just have Iphone ports at a higher price =/.
    Honestly iOS is the only one that has good games. Android has alot of crappy ones and only a few good ones, and WP7 has just started so you can't expect too much to be there yet. I think most developers are waiting for the platform to grow a bit, or are still working on their games since the platform is still quite young. Either way I think that gaming will get way better in the next 6 months to a year.
    Past Phones:
    A few dumb phones
    Blackberry
    iPhone 3G (Sold)
    Samsung Captivate (Sold)
    Samsung Focus (Returned)
    Samsung Focus(Again)
    Samsung Nexus S (Sold)
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Global Posts
    3,764 Global Posts
    I hope so. What happened to those Six games we where supposed to get? Angry Birds, Sonic 4, Plants vs Zombies, Hydro Thunder and some that escape my memory. They where supposed to come out this month right?

Microsoft better have some cool things at E3.

Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterfang View Post
    I hope so. What happened to those Six games we where supposed to get? Angry Birds, Sonic 4, Plants vs Zombies, Hydro Thunder and some that escape my memory. They where supposed to come out this month right?

Microsoft better have some cool things at E3.
    I forgot about E3 coming up soon. That would be a good place to announce alot of new games for WP7 wouldn't it?
    Past Phones:
    A few dumb phones
    Blackberry
    iPhone 3G (Sold)
    Samsung Captivate (Sold)
    Samsung Focus (Returned)
    Samsung Focus(Again)
    Samsung Nexus S (Sold)
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Global Posts
    3,470 Global Posts
    I agree, Android has a lot of crappy games. The only savior is the NES ROM, Wordfeud, and words with friends.
    Honestly iOS is the only one that has good games. Android has alot of crappy ones and only a few good ones, and WP7 has just started so you can't expect too much to be there yet. I think most developers are waiting for the platform to grow a bit, or are still working on their games since the platform is still quite young. Either way I think that gaming will get way better in the next 6 months to a year.

Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Samsteele View Post
    Rare hasn't made anything compelling to me in a long time, and I would like to think that Microsoft has bigger developer talent pool to draw from.
    Sure if they made something like Jet Force Gemini for WP I'd be all over it.
    To this day I think they should do a Jet Force Gemini Online.

Global Posts
    700 Global Posts
    I do think Rare isn't what it was back in the N64 days. Maybe they don't have Nintendo's guidence or the same key people (I know the two founding brothers left a while ago), but they've changed.

If Rare could produce another Mario Kart style game similar to Diddy Kong Racing then that'd be awesome. I'd love to see a new Banjo or even Banjo 1 and 2 again.

With SEGA a new PSO for WP7 is at the top of my wish list.
    [VZW] HTC Trophy owner
    [Follow me: Xbox Live | Twitter]
    Care to name a few of those great games? I sure have not seen any in a long time come from the doors of Rare.
    there have been a couple from rare like perfect dark zero and kameo. and MS has many great games like Halo,Fable, gears of war just to name a few. MS knows gaming and I have no doubt that they will beat the living sht out of gamecenter.

Global Posts
    791 Global Posts
    there have been a couple from rare like perfect dark zero and kameo. and MS has many great games like Halo,Fable, gears of war just to name a few. MS knows gaming and I have no doubt that they will beat the living sht out of gamecenter.
    I'm about 124.940% positive that Rare didn't make Halo, Fable or Gears... Wasn't this discussion about Rare?

Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    I understand that Microsoft has made many great games over the years, especially since the launch of Xbox 360. Your comments were that Rare has had many great games, quite frankly both Perfect Dark Zero and Kameo sucked pretty bad. Rare hasn't done anything worth playing in a long time.

Also out of the three games that you mentioned only one company is actually owned by Microsoft. Bungie, who develops the Halo games, is owned by Microsoft. The other two are only published by Microsoft.

Gears of war is owned and developed by Epic Games

Fable is owned and developed by Lionhead Studios
    Past Phones:
    A few dumb phones
    Blackberry
    iPhone 3G (Sold)
    Samsung Captivate (Sold)
    Samsung Focus (Returned)
    Samsung Focus(Again)
    Samsung Nexus S (Sold)
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    19,947 Global Posts
    GoldenEye 007 - that's all i'm saying. lol. Heck, we got 'Pefect Dark' as an arcade game, although that sucked.

Gimme GoldenEye on my Focus with MP support! ha.

WPCentral Mod | Retired Android Central Mod | CrackBerry Mod

Global Posts
    3,764 Global Posts
    I'm never being a fan of Rare and Nintendo owns their best ips anyway.

Global Posts
    685 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Luisraul924 View Post
    I'm about 124.940% positive that Rare didn't make Halo, Fable or Gears... Wasn't this discussion about Rare?
    Although not at the head of the credits, Rare has been involved in a lot of assorted Microsoft games, and is heavily credited in Halo 3.

I don't think Rare's going anywhere. Their focus has shifted mostly to interface-related stuff on the Xbox 360, and developing the platform as a whole. They were involved heavily in the Kinect. They've gone from the game-makers to the ones supporting the game-makers. It may not be the most glorious job, but I think they'll pull a pleasant surprise on us eventually once they have the time.

Here's a bit of a useless fact I learned at a panel involving them: Viva Pinata was initially a Windows Mobile title, but never released to that platform. It balooned into a 360 game when the higher-ups showed interest. A new version later showed up on the Nintendo DS, which in terms of hardware, is very similar to what Windows Mobile runs on.

You'll notice a lot of Microsoft titles on the Nintendo DS overall. A lot of them are published through a 3rd party, but they're out there. Rare is apparently working on some 3DS titles, which pretty much means that Winmo ports or simultaneous releases would be easy to pull off. Dunno if it means any exclusives in the future, though.

Still, what I wouldn't give for a Kameo sequel...

Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    I understand that Microsoft has made many great games over the years, especially since the launch of Xbox 360. Your comments were that Rare has had many great games, quite frankly both Perfect Dark Zero and Kameo sucked pretty bad. Rare hasn't done anything worth playing in a long time.

Also out of the three games that you mentioned only one company is actually owned by Microsoft. Bungie, who develops the Halo games, is owned by Microsoft. The other two are only published by Microsoft.

Gears of war is owned and developed by Epic Games

Fable is owned and developed by Lionhead Studios
    MS doesn't own bungie any more. Bungie got out of their contract and is now using Activision to produce their new game (think they wanna go multi platform )

MS does own 343 studios ( the guys who did halo way point ) and they do still own the rights to halo... So a halo wp7 game isn't out of the question.

Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilstar View Post
    MS doesn't own bungie any more. Bungie got out of their contract and is now using Activision to produce their new game (think they wanna go multi platform )

MS does own 343 studios ( the guys who did halo way point ) and they do still own the rights to halo... So a halo wp7 game isn't out of the question.
    I had heard something about that. I knew they weren't developing Halo games anymore, but didn't follow the story farther than that. I stopped caring about Halo after 3 was released and it sucked. Bungie looks to be going the way of Rare. So sad. Oh well....

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk
    Past Phones:
    A few dumb phones
    Blackberry
    iPhone 3G (Sold)
    Samsung Captivate (Sold)
    Samsung Focus (Returned)
    Samsung Focus(Again)
    Samsung Nexus S (Sold)
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast