Lost phone, got a replacement

red grenadine

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Has me convinced Microsoft really needs to work on restoring apps and data to a new phone. Its currently just not cutting it. Having to manually reinstall my apps on the marketplace on my phone, reset all my settings, link all my accounts again, etc is just a complete hassle

Sent from my Windows Phone using Board Express

gyrferret

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Yep. I know your pain. Yes, all contact data was "in the cloud", but not all of it was synced there.

Apps are ok if you don't have a lot, but the settings and accounts are a chore.

I had to go through this process twice within the last week.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Try doing it with 170 apps, only 25 of which were auto loaded after the reset. I do focus now on third party apps that have a SkyDrive or Dropboxbackup feature. Loading apps sucks, but losing data is worse.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Original Focus got bricked during the Hungarian server hack update. Replacement phone crapped out after two weeks of using an old microSD card I had laying around ("worst that happens is it doesn't work.") On my second replacement now. Reinstalling apps is a pain since the vast majority were installed via the phone, but what really kills me is losing all those texts. Not super important, but they were a record of a somewhag important part of my life, and now they're gone.

Such is the pain of the early adopter.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Yah they need to make the re-installation process better, and allow you to backup your device when you want to. I think your app history ect should all be tied to the cloud and not even your local zune desktop. Maybe we will hear of improvements for Mango on the 24th?

wolfman-fu

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Well I have an android phone the samsung captivate and if you use the goodle app store, you also had to manually reinstall all your apps, but ones you actually paid for still would show up under your "my apps" setting. Then along came the amazon app market and it would at least keep all the apps you downloaded. Though you still have to manually install each one.

I only say this to let you know that wp7 is not alone in the lack of ability to backup apps and their settings to allow for a quick restore and is one area I think MS can do better in.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss