Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 24 of 24
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pirarre
  1. pirarre's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    154 Posts
    Global Posts
    637 Global Posts
       #1  
    As the title states I currently have an EVO 3D and boy oh boy do I miss my Arrive. The EVO 3D is a good phone but i still notice some lag every now and then. The games isn't as good ad the ones on WP7 either. The 3D spiderman game is nice and so is the ability to take 3D pics. But i miss the ability to use zune music and the sleek look of WP7. And since IM+ is now on WP7 I'm sure I'll be in love...that was the only issue I messed when I had my previous Arrive....I missed the ability to use gtalk and other chat services like facebook.

    I think I may wait a couple more weeks, but i think I'm gonna be returning the 3D and grabbing another Arrive

    Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
    Jazmac likes this.
  2. Duvi's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    2,976 Posts
    Global Posts
    19,947 Global Posts
    #2  
    Lol. I'm probably picking up the 3D. Funny though, I didn't notice any lag and felt it was faster than my Atrix. Then again, no apps were loaded on it.

    I prefer my Focus (AT&T) than all devices currently out right now.

    WPCentral Mod | Retired Android Central Mod | CrackBerry Mod
  3. pirarre's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    154 Posts
    Global Posts
    637 Global Posts
       #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by duvi View Post
    Lol. I'm probably picking up the 3D. Funny though, I didn't notice any lag and felt it was faster than my Atrix. Then again, no apps were loaded on it.

    I prefer my Focus (AT&T) than all devices currently out right now.
    The 3D is a nice device. I just think that the Arrive has better services available for it than the 3D. The Zune service is hot, the ability to wirelessly sync and the look of WP7 is just so sweet. And don't forget the apps, games and the ability to connect to your xbox live account.

    The 3D is nice...but I'm tired of the same android look. And yes the phone still lags some, not much though but it does.

    Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
  4. Winterfang's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,541 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,764 Global Posts
    #4  
    The Evo 3D seems to be a monster of a device. Give it a couple of weeks first, if you still don't like it then we will welcome you with open arms.
    Last edited by Winterfang; 06-24-2011 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Grammar problems.
  5. sandmanfvr's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    129 Posts
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    #5  
    I hate android after trying it on a phone and tablet and my wife's samsung moment is cluster F of issue and bugs. Only 3 days with my WP and she is thinking of upgrading in august. Android is ok, but once you use WP other os's are just meh.
  6. Skycop's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    22 Posts
    #6  
    Other than the poor battery life I really liked my EVO 4g and was excited about the 3D. I played with the Arrive for a few minutes and decided that I would give it 30 days and take it back for the EVO 3D. Well as nice as the EVO 3D is it ain't happening. I just like the Arrive too much. I'm not hating on Android but it still feels half baked to me. I just really like what Microsoft has done here and I'm really excited about mango.
  7. Vallos's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    474 Posts
    #7  
    My co-worker received his EVO 3D yesterday. He proudly showcased it and rightfully so. However in my opinion, it looks like a gimmick type of phone. The 3D feature, while very neat and certainly has a "wow" factor, is really useless in the greater use of a smart phone. In fact, it's more of a negative to have as it hogs up batter life, as per the reviews being posted around the web. The OS was smooth, but just was cluttered with stuff. I was watching him navigate, and he had a hard time trying to find where things were at, at which point I keep saying to myself, I would have found it already on my phone. Granted he just received it, but comparably speaking, when I received my Trophy, the ease of navigation was very second to none. I know exactly where to go.
  8. PhilR8's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    216 Posts
    Global Posts
    263 Global Posts
    #8  
    The Evo3D is tempting me. All the video reviews I've seen make it look very snappy and lag-free, which was one of my biggest complaints with Android when I had the Evo. The screen, the camera, the 3D... all look really great on the Evo3D. I must be one of the few folks out there who is really intrigued by the 3D camera functionality - I take a decent amount of photos with my Arrive and I would love to take 3D photos of my GF and kitty.

    I doubt I'll switch back to Android, though. My brother has the Evo4G and my GF has the Epic, so I still use them both fairly often, but going back to those devices after having the Arrive really does seem like a step back. They're both laggy and the UI is cluttered and fragmented. My brother has CyanogenMod7 on his Evo and it seems like such a mess. I know the Evo3D will be faster, but I'm so pleased with WP7 that it'd be silly to jump back to Android now.
  9. Vallos's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    474 Posts
    #9  
    I just spent some time playing with my co-workers phone and it is nice and smooth. No lag what so ever. Aside from the obvious features of this phone, the glaring difference is the user experience of the OS. To give a food analogy, the WP7 is like fillo dough. Lite, airy and crisp, while Android is like cookie dough, heavy and thick.
  10. pirarre's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    154 Posts
    Global Posts
    637 Global Posts
       #10  
    I highly think I'm gonna be exchanging my EVO 3D for another Arrive.

    Not that I hate the EVO 3D or anything but I agree with some of you other posters in that it does feel cluttered. It seems like WP7 has more apps coming out everyvday and that UI....I just can't get over it....its so sweet.

    One poster on another forum said to just download Google Music Beta...what a joke. That don't even compare to Zune...let alone itunes.

    I downloaded some games and they just don't compare. I'm trying to give it a little more time but its getting harder and harder...


    Delivered to you from my Simply Brilliant EVO 3D!
  11. condemned's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    94 Posts
    Global Posts
    298 Global Posts
    #11  
    I actually went back to Android by buying the Sensation. There's no lag but there's definitely a difference between using launchers. When I installed Launcher Pro on my phone, it made it even smoother to the point where it felt slightly smoother than my HD7. Sense should be getting an update to speed it up even more though.

    And funny you mentioned gaming because I feel gaming on Android is better than on WP7. Both do gaming well but I like the ability to also use emulators to play classic GBA, SNES, etc games. Games are a lot cheaper on Android too. Angry Birds is free on Android but on WP7 it's like $3.

    I played that Wave game (speed boat game) on my HD7 and it suffered from framerate issues. Just wasn't as smooth as I'd like it to be. I played a similar game on Android and it was much smoother.
  12. Winterfang's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,541 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,764 Global Posts
    #12  
    I wouldn't mind a HD3D.
  13. Duvi's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    2,976 Posts
    Global Posts
    19,947 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vallos View Post
    My co-worker received his EVO 3D yesterday. He proudly showcased it and rightfully so. However in my opinion, it looks like a gimmick type of phone. The 3D feature, while very neat and certainly has a "wow" factor, is really useless in the greater use of a smart phone. In fact, it's more of a negative to have as it hogs up batter life, as per the reviews being posted around the web. The OS was smooth, but just was cluttered with stuff. I was watching him navigate, and he had a hard time trying to find where things were at, at which point I keep saying to myself, I would have found it already on my phone. Granted he just received it, but comparably speaking, when I received my Trophy, the ease of navigation was very second to none. I know exactly where to go.
    It's called the EVO 3D, but that isn't what makes the device. That's just icing on the cake. It doesn't even have to be used. You have the on/off (3d/2d) switch. I didn't even plan on using the 3D feature until I helped set up countless 3Ds today in which I found some sample videos that I thought were awesome.

    qHD screen, dual-core processor (a single processor is 200mhz faster than the 1Ghz in the original EVO), improved camera lens, 4gb of internal memory (vs. 440mb) and 1080p video recording.

    should they have left out the 3D in the name?

    WPCentral Mod | Retired Android Central Mod | CrackBerry Mod
  14. pirarre's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    154 Posts
    Global Posts
    637 Global Posts
       #14  
    Well..it looks like tomorrow I'll hopefully be grabbing me another Arrive. I just saw that Bestbuy is selling the Arrive for $49.99. So what I'm going to do is activate one of my old Sprint phones on my line, returned the Evo 3D to the Sprint Corporate Store, which they will then add my upgrade back to my account. Then I'm going to drive a couple of blocks down the street to Bestbuy and grab me the Arrive.

    I can't wait!

    Do anyone know if Sprint Price match? Because if they price matched bestbuy, that;ll save me a trip from going there.
  15. selfcreation's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    3,288 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,304 Global Posts
    #15  
    i wish they came out with the samsung Focus 3D!

    i would by it faster then you can spell my name. im near a pc most of the day ( so battery life is not an issue , + 3d gimmick is SIIICK and fun!!
  16. pirarre's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    154 Posts
    Global Posts
    637 Global Posts
       #16  
    Well I just got back from Sprint and Bestbuy....wow what an experience. I put an old device on my line which freed up the Evo 3D for return. I took that back to the sprint corp. store and they couldn't put my upgrade back on my line. I had to cancel the whole line altogether. Then i get to bestbuy and instead of them having the Arrive for $50...they had it listed for $150. Which was still cheaper than Sprint. Plus I had a $50 gift card that I got from Bestbuy when i originally reserved the Evo 3D.

    Nevertheless, it feels good to be back. Now off i go to put all my apps back on the phone and set everything up.
  17. TreizFaction's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    51 Posts
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    #17  
    As the title states I currently have an EVO 3D and boy oh boy do I miss my Arrive.
    LOL! I get the same thing every time I pick up a new Android device. With out fail I go back to my Focus and my HP webOS. Simple fact I've found is that customer experience is more important than specs or gimmicks.
  18. condemned's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    94 Posts
    Global Posts
    298 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by elcapo24682 View Post
    must suck for you to be back in the land of fragmentation and malware issues
    Nope. I've never experienced any malware issues and fragmentation means nothing especially with rooting/custom ROMing. The G1 still has roms floating around for it till this day.

    You were saying? :)
  19. JAStark27's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    57 Posts
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    #19  
    problem I see with Android is yes they all have better specs currently but really if WP7 was running on those specs the phone would be a monster. It would be like having a xbox 360 phone. Games would be insane, os would have no chance of any lag. With Android you get more lag, horrible battery life, apps that don't work smoothly with any android device you pic up and I'm sorry but the Android games vs WP7 games is a joke. Yeah you got the specs to help out but the games still suck. I have owned 5 different Android device's and none of them run as smooth as my Trophy does. And yes I used custom roms and still not close. I probably went through 15-20 different roms. Yes they sped up but not after a bit was back to normal. Plus its really a pain in the **** to have to check for new roms when I can just carry around my Trophy and never have to worry about it.
    Last edited by JAStark27; 06-29-2011 at 09:20 PM.
  20. HeyCori's Avatar
    Mod Emeritus

    Posts
    5,250 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,275 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by plmiller0905 View Post
    Well I just got back from Sprint and Bestbuy....wow what an experience. I put an old device on my line which freed up the Evo 3D for return. I took that back to the sprint corp. store and they couldn't put my upgrade back on my line. I had to cancel the whole line altogether. Then i get to bestbuy and instead of them having the Arrive for $50...they had it listed for $150. Which was still cheaper than Sprint. Plus I had a $50 gift card that I got from Bestbuy when i originally reserved the Evo 3D.

    Nevertheless, it feels good to be back. Now off i go to put all my apps back on the phone and set everything up.
    Welcome back to the fold, sir!
  21. condemned's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    94 Posts
    Global Posts
    298 Global Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by JAStark27 View Post
    problem I see with Android is yes they all have better specs currently but really if WP7 was running on those specs the phone would be a monster. It would be like having a xbox 360 phone. Games would be insane, os would have no chance of any lag. With Android you get more lag, horrible battery life, apps that don't work smoothly with any android device you pic up and I'm sorry but the Android games vs WP7 games is a joke. Yeah you got the specs to help out but the games still suck. I have owned 5 different Android device's and none of them run as smooth as my Trophy does. And yes I used custom roms and still not close. I probably went through 15-20 different roms. Yes they sped up but not after a bit was back to normal. Plus its really a pain in the **** to have to check for new roms when I can just carry around my Trophy and never have to worry about it.
    Battery life is subjectiv depending on which phones you're talking about and how you use them. I have both a Sensation and HD7 and battery life on my Sensation blows the HD7 out of the water. I can browse the web, use Facebook, play games, listen to music, and watch YouTube without having to worry about battery life draining fast. With the same use on my HD7, it cant even last a day. Not only that but I have widgets running on most of my screens and am multitasking. WP7 can't even multitask with 3rd party apps yet and battery life is already abysmal.

    WP7 lags here and there. I've had my HD7's homescreen lag from time to time. It usually occurs when I'm navigating while a webpage is loading in the browser. Stock for stock, the WP7 UI is a little smoother but with a custom launcher installed on my Sensation (ex. Launcher Pro), it runs just as smooth, or even smoother than my HD7.

    You say android apps don't run smooth but I've yet to run into an android app that isn't smooth. On WP7, I've run across quite a few apps that didn't run as smoothly as their android counterparts. The official Facebook app on WP7 is down right terrible. It's laggy, slow and doesn't offer the kind of functionality as the Android and iOS versions. The same can be said for the official YouTube app on WP7. Laggy scrolling and limited functionality. I've also yet to see a WP7 phone that can do video playback as smooth as my Sensation.

    Games have been better on Android in my experience. An example like I posted in another thread today is Angry Birds. I have the game on both my phones. On the HD7, it plays pretty smoothly but on my Sensation it plays a lot smoother. Could be the superior hardware of the Sensation, who knows... I've played a racing game on each and again, the Sensation played it smoother. I think the only reason some ppl might praise gaming on WP7 is due to the Xbox live titles. In my own experience, Android handled gaming a little better but of course you don't get the whole xbox intergration like you do on WP7.

    Don't get me wrong because I like WP7. I've been enjoying my HD7 for months but I tell it like it is. Android is a heavier (more feature packed) OS at the moment while WP7 is lighter, although it will get heavier with Mango. You can't go wrong with either OS.
  22. pirarre's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    154 Posts
    Global Posts
    637 Global Posts
       #22  
    I've had many Android devices and just the other day day, got me another Arrive. I've owned the Evo 3D which is a lot similar to the Sensation. The Evo 3D is a GREAT device. However unlike the Arrive, the Evo 3D battery is not great. I find myself turning off certain features of the phone in order to make it through an 8hr day. A lot of people give Android it's props because of all the apps that's in the Android Market....which is cool. But what I've noticed is that a large quanity of those apps are apps that require root and/or apps that work with the performance of the phone...like for example the app "Juice Defender" that turns off/on certain features on the device. I think WP7 has quality apps and in time will give Android and iOS a run for it's money.

    I remember when Android first came out. I got me an OG Droid and I was like wtf is this...lol. I quickly returned the phone and went back to an iPhone. After a while Android became more and more popular. I'm betting the same will happen with WP7. I check WPCentral everyday and it's always a bunch of apps that's hitting the market everyday.

    I think Android is also focused more on Specs than WP7. Every WP7 has the same exact specs and the same firmware. However on Android, you can buy a device today, and by the end of this year it'll be obsolete. When Android release firmware updates, only certain phones can get be updated. Because it's all spec focused. For example, when the new Android "Ice Cream" drops at the end of the year, the only devices that can run it is devices that's dual core. So if you bought an Android phone this year and it's single core...then good luck getting the update. You could root it and flash a custom rom if one's available. But still that don't always work because some features don't work correctly like the camera, GPS, MMS...etc.

    Both Android Devices and WP7 are great. But if you look at the whole picture it's not a fair fight. Only because Android has been out for a much longer period of time. But to each their own.
  23. condemned's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    94 Posts
    Global Posts
    298 Global Posts
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by plmiller0905 View Post
    I've had many Android devices and just the other day day, got me another Arrive. I've owned the Evo 3D which is a lot similar to the Sensation. The Evo 3D is a GREAT device. However unlike the Arrive, the Evo 3D battery is not great. I find myself turning off certain features of the phone in order to make it through an 8hr day. A lot of people give Android it's props because of all the apps that's in the Android Market....which is cool. But what I've noticed is that a large quanity of those apps are apps that require root and/or apps that work with the performance of the phone...like for example the app "Juice Defender" that turns off/on certain features on the device. I think WP7 has quality apps and in time will give Android and iOS a run for it's money.

    I remember when Android first came out. I got me an OG Droid and I was like wtf is this...lol. I quickly returned the phone and went back to an iPhone. After a while Android became more and more popular. I'm betting the same will happen with WP7. I check WPCentral everyday and it's always a bunch of apps that's hitting the market everyday.

    I think Android is also focused more on Specs than WP7. Every WP7 has the same exact specs and the same firmware. However on Android, you can buy a device today, and by the end of this year it'll be obsolete. When Android release firmware updates, only certain phones can get be updated. Because it's all spec focused. For example, when the new Android "Ice Cream" drops at the end of the year, the only devices that can run it is devices that's dual core. So if you bought an Android phone this year and it's single core...then good luck getting the update. You could root it and flash a custom rom if one's available. But still that don't always work because some features don't work correctly like the camera, GPS, MMS...etc.

    Both Android Devices and WP7 are great. But if you look at the whole picture it's not a fair fight. Only because Android has been out for a much longer period of time. But to each their own.
    Well it is actually a fair fight because Microsoft already had a first chance with a mobile os (Windows Mobile) while Google's first mobile os is Android.

    But I agree that WP7 will get more popular in due time. I think it's a better os than every other mobile os with the exception of Android and iOS.

    Regarding obsoletion, you're actually incorrect. Android and iPhone have much, much bigger developer communities than WP7. I still see custom ROMs floating around for the original Droid and the even older G1. I honestly doubt out current WP7 phones will be relevant in a year unless the hacking community for WP7 becomes much larger.
  24. starblade876's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    307 Posts
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by condemned View Post
    I have both a Sensation and HD7 and battery life on my Sensation blows the HD7 out of the water.
    That's hardly a fair comparison. The Sensation has a newer and, probably, more efficient processor (even if it's faster and a dual core). It also has a bigger battery (1520 mAh vs 1230 mAh). On top of that, it has an SLCD screen, which is supposed to be more power efficient than regular LCDs like on the HD7. It's hardly surprising that the Sensation would last longer.

    A closer comparison might be the HTC Arrive and the HTC Evo 4G. Same battery and processor. Even though the Arrive has a smaller screen (3.6" vs 4.3"), I can usually get around 24 hours with playing music off my phone through the speakers at 24 volume for 6 hours, using the camera a few times, playing a couple games, browsing online and through a couple apps on 3G, watching a couple videos, talking on the phone for about an hour total, and a few texts. With the Evo, I couldn't last 24 hours with that kind of use (it needed to be charged at most by bed time if not sooner).

Posting Permissions