Screen locks during calls

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
So I recently did a hard reset and I've noticed several times now that the screen is locking while I'm on a call. When I take the phone off my ear the screen will stay dark. When I hit the power button the screen turns on and the call interface will appear OVER the lock screen. If I end the call, the call interface will go away but the lock screen will still be there. I can then unlock the screen and use the phone as normal.

It doesn't seem to happen on every call and I don't remember this happening before the hard reset.

Anyone else experience this issue? Is another hard reset my only option?

Sent from my HTC Trophy using Board Express

joemd60

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
So I recently did a hard reset and I've noticed several times now that the screen is locking while I'm on a call. When I take the phone off my ear the screen will stay dark. When I hit the power button the screen turns on and the call interface will appear OVER the lock screen. If I end the call, the call interface will go away but the lock screen will still be there. I can then unlock the screen and use the phone as normal.

It doesn't seem to happen on every call and I don't remember this happening before the hard reset.

Anyone else experience this issue? Is another hard reset my only option?

Sent from my HTC Trophy using Board Express

This is a coincidence thed, I was going to post about this. I also see nobody replied as to a solution. My Trophy does the exact same thing, did you find a solution? Thanks

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
This is a coincidence thed, I was going to post about this. I also see nobody replied as to a solution. My Trophy does the exact same thing, did you find a solution? Thanks
I haven't seen this particular issue in a long time, but it seemed like it may have been related to some issues I had with the proximity sensor. Before the official Mango update the proximity sensor had sensitivity issues (it wouldn't always turn the screen off properly) as well as this lock screen issue. Once I updated to the Mango beta, I didn't have this lock screen issue anymore, but the proximity sensor still had other issues. Then the firmware update came with the official Mango update and I haven't had any problems since.

Not really sure what to tell you here, it seemed like Mango fixed it for me :/

joemd60

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I haven't seen this particular issue in a long time, but it seemed like it may have been related to some issues I had with the proximity sensor. Before the official Mango update the proximity sensor had sensitivity issues (it wouldn't always turn the screen off properly) as well as this lock screen issue. Once I updated to the Mango beta, I didn't have this lock screen issue anymore, but the proximity sensor still had other issues. Then the firmware update came with the official Mango update and I haven't had any problems since.

Not really sure what to tell you here, it seemed like Mango fixed it for me :/

Thanks thed, I don't know if there is or where to look for the proximity sensor. And for me this is definately a Mango bug, since it did not happen until the upgrade to Mango. I have my screen set to lock after 30 seconds, but like you, it does not happen all the time during a call.
But it happens most of the time, also the screen lock works fine. It shuts off when it is supposed to.
I read where there was a screen lock issue with the HTC Surround, resets didn't work, so it's a hardware issue.
This looks like it leaves me with two options, live with it or do a warranty exchange, and even that may not fix it. I don't see to many people with Trophy's complaining about the same issue, so I may never see a firmware up grade.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
My Surround works fine, but I did do a hard reset moments prior to upgrading to Mango as I wanted a clean install. Have you tried a hard reset on your Trophy. Can't hurt.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I see a lot of people mentioning hard resets on their phones to clear problems. Nothing wrong with that, but how do you guys get all your app info back? Do you just not care? There is no backup possible that saves all app data so anytime you do a factory restore you would lose everything. Are you able to back up app data to the cloud? I thought that was not possible yet.

sbono13

Oct 10, 2003
www.pyslent.com
I have my screen set to lock after 30 seconds, but like you, it does not happen all the time during a call.
But it happens most of the time, also the screen lock works fine. It shuts off when it is supposed to.

I'm seeing this issue consistently. I have an HTC arrive running mango that I just got. Screen lock set to 30s. On shorter calls, I can move my phone from my face and the phone app appears on the screen. However, on any call longer than 30s, the screen stays blank when I am finished. If I hit the power button right away, the phone screen appears,nand after I hang up the phone, the phone app slides away to reveal my normal lock screen. I can say whether this is a bug introsuce din mango since I updated as soon as I got the phone.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
If it just started happening after Mango, then I agree that maybe a hard reset is the best thing to try at this point.

I see a lot of people mentioning hard resets on their phones to clear problems. Nothing wrong with that, but how do you guys get all your app info back? Do you just not care? There is no backup possible that saves all app data so anytime you do a factory restore you would lose everything. Are you able to back up app data to the cloud? I thought that was not possible yet.
What particular apps are you referring to? I have quite a few apps on my phone, and outside of game saves I can't think of anything that I use that doesn't have some sort of online sync function. I understand that game saves can be a pain to lose, but they're not as important to me as other data. The only other thing is messages but I don't really care if I lose those either. I guess it depends on your priorities.

It would be great to have a proper backup solution but I can deal with it the way it is now.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Well I know onenote backs up so that will be better than my iphone notes which do not.

I have apps that track MPG in my car. No real reason I need it, just some dumb stats I track. I had a budget app at one point and no idea where that data was backed up to. If no online sync that info would be gone. Then all my games which are not too important. I thought I had more app data but maybe I do not.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Well I know onenote backs up so that will be better than my iphone notes which do not.

I have apps that track MPG in my car. No real reason I need it, just some dumb stats I track. I had a budget app at one point and no idea where that data was backed up to. If no online sync that info would be gone. Then all my games which are not too important. I thought I had more app data but maybe I do not.
I don't use any budget apps, but I just did a quick search in the Marketplace and it looks like the 3 budget apps with the most reviews all support Dropbox sync. Not sure about MPG apps though. Still, if you have to reset you may not lose as much as you think :)

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
no problem on my focus....

i just wait 2-3 sec , screen comes back

when i try to lock the screen while its still dark , the phone call option come up on TOP of the locks screen exactly like your describing.. witch is normal

its sounds like its a problem with the sensor simply not re-activating the lights. ..(hardware or software)

Last edited:

joemd60

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I just did a hard reset on my phone. Funny, now I have local scout pinned to the start screen, never had that before. I also have a Help+How-to in the app list, and what seems to be more ringtones as well. Next time I am on a call I will see if hard reset helps. Thanks for all the feedback.:)

Last edited:

joemd60

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site

All your apps should be here Windows Phone | Cell Phones, Mobile Downloads, Mobile Apps, and More | Windows Phone 7 under your account.
Just sign in, and re-install whatever you need, that's all I did. Good luck.

Last edited:

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Yep, that's a genuine problem. I seek out, and have found apps that provide a backup solution to: Dropbox, SkyDrive or some other Cloud service. So can only create an email message that needs to be converted to a CSV and then reimported later. Better than nothing though. Can probably recover about 90% of my important stuff across a dozen third party apps after a reset.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

joemd60

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Just a quick update. The hard reset did not help, the screen still locks when I am on a call. Very annoying to say the least.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05