Expected launch time of Nokia devices?

anon(4743061)

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I have been keeping an eye on WP7 from the android bench and those Nokia mockups look great. It's nice to see some hardware with color and what appears to be aluminum, they defiantly don't look like anything else out there.

I have an upgrade coming up this fall and I'm looking for a switch to something with battery life, nicer gaming experience, and I miss Zune. I'm just wondering if an expected time frame has been given or is WP7 going to be stuck in this hardware cycle a while?

First post right here. Thanks!

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I have been keeping an eye on WP7 from the android bench and those Nokia mockups look great. It's nice to see some hardware with color and what appears to be aluminum, they defiantly don't look like anything else out there.

I have an upgrade coming up this fall and I'm looking for a switch to something with battery life, nicer gaming experience, and I miss Zune. I'm just wondering if an expected time frame has been given or is WP7 going to be stuck in this hardware cycle a while?

First post right here. Thanks!
Ok, let me sort things out for you here... I see this is your first post, welcome to WPCentral, probably the most helpful forum (in terms of gadget forums) out there. I've had better help here, than in the cyanogenmod forums and Android central forums in my dark days with Android lol. As for the Nokia devices, I'd find myself surprised if an active Windows Phone user were not excited by them, they are [Nokia] of the highest caliber of mobile devices. As for your concerns of battery life, I've found that my HD7 (probably the worst device for battery life) has better battery life than most Android devices. Better gaming experience? Xbox Live speaks for itself. You are wise in longing for Zune, Zune Pass is probably the coolest thing that has ever hit subscription type services in the history of subscription services. Now, as for the hardware... You seem to be stuck with the Google enforced pre conceived notion that if a phone has a 250000 GHz processor, quad HD display, all WiFi types, Bluetooth 10.0, etc. that its the best experience possible... All exaggerations aside, a device absolutely positively DOES NOT need the latest hardware to deliver an excellent UI/UX, Windows Phone is probably the best proof of that. With that being said, the second/updated wave of hardware specs would be considered previous gen for Android, to which many blind Android fans would make fun of, but they don't really see how bad the Windows Phone UX blows Android's UX out of this galaxy. As for wanting the best quality Windows Phone, yes I would wait for the Nokias to come out, there haven't been any solid dates but Nokia has stated that there's a really really big chance that two will be coming out later this year. Get one of those. I know I probably will.

Umm Yeah

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
My background is in BlackBerry with a minor in Android (my wife's) and I have to say that WP7 blows them both away. BlackBerry has great battery life but a limited appeal as far as UX. Android has a wildly variable UX with lots of customization but it tends to always end up looking like a hodgepodge of widgets and icons and the battery life rivaling that of a fruitfly. Apple is, well, Apple. It's nice but at this point boring. It's like waiting for next year's Camry to come out. It's perfectly fine and it does what it does quite adequately.

WP7 has a GORGEOUS UI/UX, and very good battery life. The standards that MS is requiring the manufacturers to adhere to have caused the WP7 phones to give a strong performance across the lineup and offer some variety which Apple doesn't without getting into fragmentation and manufacturer UI customizations that plague Androids.

I had a Trophy and I loved it. I have some issues that I'm hoping will be solved with Mango so I reluctantly returned it while I count the days to Mango and a hopeful solution to those niggling issues. I'd like to think I'd be patient enough to wait to see the Nakia phones come out in the States but I'm limited to Verizon due to work and Nokia hasn't even said they will be releasing any phones in the US before 2012, much less with which carriers. That said, if Mango fixes my issues, I could be VERY happy getting another Trophy and using it for the next two years.

The bottom line is, wait for the Nokias if you have the patience. If you don't, take any other WP7 and you will NEVER think of it as "settling".

anon(4743061)

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I agree 100% about high specs not making performance. Those Nokia concepts just look like they are going to made of good aluminium and not plastic and rubber like the WP7 devices out now. The WP7 all sort of look like all the Androids of the world, Black plastic and rubber. They just look so unique. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't mind a Trophy but seeing how Verizon only offers upgrades once every 2 years now I would like to have the latest speced phone I can get.

I still have my Zune software installed on my computer even though I sold my Zune over a year ago. I just miss the nice UI and easy wireless sync it provided. I just couldn't see carrying around a 4.3 inch smartphone and a lets be honest here, not so small 2nd gen Zune.

There is no doubt in my mind that the battery life is WAY better on WP7. The only thing I found to have worse then my HTC EVO was the original webOS devices, those thing only lasted for about 3 hours. It was so bad.

Am I wrong in thinking that the next wave of WP7 devices will be equipped with front facing cameras and Skype? I mean Microsoft has to be putting that on considering their recent purchase right?

I'm very excited to see what Nokia cooks up!

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I don't get the big hoopla over Nokia. I haven't owned a Nokia device since my green screen phone. Their new meego pho e looks good. But I don't see how they are so awesome.

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I don't get the big hoopla over Nokia. I haven't owned a Nokia device since my green screen phone. Their new meego pho e looks good. But I don't see how they are so awesome.

Nokia quality is why. Their high end phones are:

1. Very well built & rugged. Good in rain, solid unibody (polycarbonate for N9/Sea Ray) body.

2. High end camera optics - Carl Zeiss. Still the best on any mobile phone, and the new one is even better.

3. They don't skimp storage anymore than the above. N9 has 64GB of internal storage.
-- So you can see, quality of hardware is a big thing with Nokia (on their high end phones). This is also good for the competition from other OEM's as they will need to '**** or get off the pot', so to speak if they want to sell phones.

but there's more:

4. Battery Life & Call Quality. Nokia has a long history of making these things a priority with their phones (much like Blackberry). Battery technology & chipset/controller engineering, quadband radio engineering quality & signal strength ect. Some manufacturers have notoriously worse singal strengh, call quality/clarity ect based on how they choose to build their phones. Nokia stresses these things.

5. Nokia has huge footprints in many countries which will only help the platform & ecosystem grow.

6. Nokia has some excellent services which will be made available, and/or integrated into all Windows Phones. The best example of this is that they own Navteq, which is where just about everybody gets their mapping data from. Nokia's Ovi Maps/ Navteq data will be integrated with Bing, which not only gives Bing more detailed and accurate information, but will include accurate mapping and directions for many countries not included with Bing maps at this time.

Nokia was a big deal for Microsoft, and if Nokia plays it right (which I think they will), it will bring them back into a position of power in Mobile once again.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I agree 100% about high specs not making performance. Those Nokia concepts just look like they are going to made of good aluminium and not plastic and rubber like the WP7 devices out now. The WP7 all sort of look like all the Androids of the world, Black plastic and rubber. They just look so unique. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't mind a Trophy but seeing how Verizon only offers upgrades once every 2 years now I would like to have the latest speced phone I can get.

I still have my Zune software installed on my computer even though I sold my Zune over a year ago. I just miss the nice UI and easy wireless sync it provided. I just couldn't see carrying around a 4.3 inch smartphone and a lets be honest here, not so small 2nd gen Zune.

There is no doubt in my mind that the battery life is WAY better on WP7. The only thing I found to have worse then my HTC EVO was the original webOS devices, those thing only lasted for about 3 hours. It was so bad.

Am I wrong in thinking that the next wave of WP7 devices will be equipped with front facing cameras and Skype? I mean Microsoft has to be putting that on considering their recent purchase right?

I'm very excited to see what Nokia cooks up!
You have a good mindset, I can tell you'll really dig Windows Phone. Nokia's first Windows Phone prototype has a front facing camera, as does the rumored HTC Eternity. What I'm seeing is a trend of manufacturers starting to slap FFC's on their devices thereby setting development back a bit which is why we have probably only heard a whisper of device leaks. As for Nokia hype, it is the quality of the devices, two of my favorite things happening with the Nokia deal are 1. The Carl Zeiss Tessar and 2. The fact that other OEMs have to step up their manufacturing game if they want to remain relevant.

justop26

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Nokia quality is why. Their high end phones are:

1. Very well built & rugged. Good in rain, solid unibody (polycarbonate for N9/Sea Ray) body.

2. High end camera optics - Carl Zeiss. Still the best on any mobile phone, and the new one is even better.

3. They don't skimp storage anymore than the above. N9 has 64GB of internal storage.
-- So you can see, quality of hardware is a big thing with Nokia (on their high end phones). This is also good for the competition from other OEM's as they will need to '**** or get off the pot', so to speak if they want to sell phones.

but there's more:

4. Battery Life & Call Quality. Nokia has a long history of making these things a priority with their phones (much like Blackberry). Battery technology & chipset/controller engineering, quadband radio engineering quality & signal strength ect. Some manufacturers have notoriously worse singal strengh, call quality/clarity ect based on how they choose to build their phones. Nokia stresses these things.

5. Nokia has huge footprints in many countries which will only help the platform & ecosystem grow.

6. Nokia has some excellent services which will be made available, and/or integrated into all Windows Phones. The best example of this is that they own Navteq, which is where just about everybody gets their mapping data from. Nokia's Ovi Maps/ Navteq data will be integrated with Bing, which not only gives Bing more detailed and accurate information, but will include accurate mapping and directions for many countries not included with Bing maps at this time.

Nokia was a big deal for Microsoft, and if Nokia plays it right (which I think they will), it will bring them back into a position of power in Mobile once again.

Biggest deal for me is getting WP to more places around the globe. Nokia needs to get it everywhere now :)

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
You have a good mindset, I can tell you'll really dig Windows Phone. Nokia's first Windows Phone prototype has a front facing camera, as does the rumored HTC Eternity. What I'm seeing is a trend of manufacturers starting to slap FFC's on their devices thereby setting development back a bit which is why we have probably only heard a whisper of device leaks. As for Nokia hype, it is the quality of the devices, two of my favorite things happening with the Nokia deal are 1. The Carl Zeiss Tessar and 2. The fact that other OEMs have to step up their manufacturing game if they want to remain relevant.

A front facing camera is literally all I am missing in my Focus. The second there is a comparable WP phone out there with one on it, I am jumping ship.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3