07-08-2011 08:09 AM
- I have a Focus and LOVE it. It's awesome. I came from an iPhone 3G, and I don't miss it at all. Not sure when the new WP7 sets will be released, but if you want a solid phone with a nice OS, the Focus should make you happy. With the release of Mango later this year, the phone should have everything you could want.07-03-2011 11:23 PM
- Don't play the waiting game on Sprint. It isn't worth it. Try to buy an Arrive out of contract and then when they finally do release the must have phone, sell your Arrive.
With AT&T, that is a different story. I think the focus is great, but there may be a new option come November that will be very tempting.07-04-2011 11:57 AM
- If you check out eBay and look at completed listings for the HTC Arrive you'll see they're selling used "mint" condition Arrives for only $220 or so. Upgrading through Sprint's website costs $200 for the phone with a two year contract so why waste your upgrade to begin with. If you just spend the $220, you can have an arrive and save your upgrade for a phone that's released later, that would be the best plan imo.
You can check Amazon too, they have the phone for a new contract for $0.01 and an upgrade for $100.07-04-2011 12:30 PM
- The new wave of phones will be out in 2-3 months (we aren't exactly sure on release other than Sept-Oct as most likely). So its not a long wait and you will have options with phones using more modern internal hardware with additions like gyroscopes & front facing cameras.
I'd say wait at this point, since Mango's release is so close now, unless you have a little extra spending cash and want to buy a used one now just to get used to & check out the platform until the next wave is released.
The Focus is a very good phone, and is fast as it is let alone how fast it will be with Mango. Its just if you are going to buy one, or more specifically, get one on a contract, I would personally wait a couple months and get one with a more recent generation processor, and more internal storage, that is of coarse, unless you want to toss in a few hundred dollars and mess around with wp7 in the meantime (like I did).
Its all about your budget ;)07-04-2011 12:32 PM
- i was kind on in the same situation but ended up getting the FOCUS.
I got my focus stolen from my desk at work ( f*** ********* ) , and instead of waiting i just went and got a early upgrade and my focus back.
Pros of waiting:
- Maybe 3D camera (gimmick)
- Maybe duel core ( gimmick , and i mean gimmick cause its useless right now )
- front facing ( i dont need it and never will . my GF doesnt need to see me picking my nose , lol )
- Samsung SUPPER AMOLED 2!!! ( that should be nice if they evan get it on next gen WP7 )
- Gyro is cool , but just an other gimmick for 1% of the phones games/apps
- more ram?! lol
- better camera... 1080 instead of 720 . but seriously , w/e lol.
Pros of not waiting:
- start kicking *** on Wp7 ASAP!! hehe07-04-2011 12:40 PM
- Thanks for the all info guys.
imma start searching on Ebay or craigslist if I find any used Focus' in my price range I will definitely jump on it. Tired of my blackberry and just being on wpcentral and seeing all the cool games and features is just a big tease without the phone!
gotta have me a WP7!07-04-2011 04:52 PM
- I'd recommend eBay over Craigslist, as there's a little more seller accountability on eBay and you're new to WP7 so you may not know what to lookout for. Big thing for Focus, make sure you get a device with the 1.3 firmware, so you can get the Nodo update which most of us are enjoying now. There'll eventually be an update for 1.4 rev phones, but we don't know when. I definitely wouldn't use a contract upgrade at this point as it's a given that there'll be new devices out this fall.07-05-2011 12:32 AM
- I'm in the same boat - my Palm Pre's dying (after only six months :/)
I was looking at the Samsung Omnia 7 for its camera and it's relatively cheap price (brand new). It's gotten great reviews, but does it hold up to everyday use?
I know new phones are coming out but I'd rather not spend $700 on a brand new model, so I might end up getting the Omnia anyway. Are there any huge differences between the Omnia and the Focus?07-05-2011 09:15 PM
- Ebay is selling new WP at such a discounted price that you certainly can consider buying one to learn the basics. Just make sure you look after it. Later you can sell it on Ebay as a second hand device and use the money to help pay for a new model when the hardware choices come out with Mango.07-06-2011 06:44 AM
Amazon.com: argyle case samsung focus
Excellent cases. Fits nicely, very thin, makes the phone feel very solid, has good grip factor in hand on on surfaces.
Can find them VERY cheap. Under $1 lol.
Amazon.com: Smoke Argyle Candy Skin Case for Samsung Focus: Cell Phones & Accessories07-08-2011 12:16 AM
- For anyone else still wondering whether to wait or buy the thing it really comes down to now is whether you want a front-facing camera since that is the main thing missing in the current crop of devices.
The Mango update not only brings a myriad of new features but also an enormous speed boost even on last year's devices so unlike the phones of a certain fruit-based company you can update to the latest WP operating system and get a speed boost instead of a speed penalty.07-08-2011 01:09 AM
Where you will really see a big performance delta is with the Windows 8 phones in 2012 because ny then programmers will be aiming for an entirely new hardware spec.07-08-2011 07:51 AMLike 1
- the other thing to consider, is most of these new phones may not be released until early 2012. there will be a few more phones coming out this fall for the holidays, but nothing worth waiting for IMO. the early 2012 phones are the ones we will want. in addition with some of this new hardware, like gyroscopes and dual core porcessors, apps and games wont really utilize them until next year...
i agree with finding one on ebay or amazon preowned, and saving the upgrade. wish i would have done that, but i got a free hd7 so it was really hard to resist and i love the phone!!! although it only has a 1230 mah battery, it lasts me almost a whole day with moderate use...07-08-2011 08:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD